Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Odd statement by cashier. Does he know something?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 5 years ago by phileight.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Baton Rouge, LA
United States
Member #94301
July 17, 2010
2 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2012, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

I bought some scratchoffs earlier today and won nothing. Then I went back to buy a few more, and the cashier mentioned 'you didn't win anything on that last one?', and I said no. Then he said that I should bring it in and let him scan it. Odd. So I went back home with my 2nd batch and won something. Then I went back to get even more scratchoffs. This time I inquired about what he was talking about the 2nd time I came in and asked how he knows when it's going to be a winner. I said, 'are you counting the tickets or something?' and he said 'No, it's something else'. So I asked if he could tell me what it is, and he said he couldn't.

He happened to be wrong about it the first time since I checked the ticket that he said I was supposed to win something on about 4-5 times already. But even though he was wrong, I'm wondering what he's doing to know if a ticket will be a winner or not. I don't think he's joking either, he had a straight face and seemed sure. What on Earth is he talking about? What is it that he can't tell me? Any ideas?

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
    Florida
    United States
    Member #104435
    January 14, 2011
    2244 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2012, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

He could of seen a streak of losing tickets before yours and assumed yours was a winner

2014 Highest Winner: $500

Baton Rouge, LA
      United States
      Member #94301
      July 17, 2010
      2 Posts
      Posted: January 11, 2012, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

Hmm. I'm not sure since he said he couldn't tell me. It's obvious that after a losing streak, SOME of them are bound to have at least something. So when he says he can't tell me, it's like it's something else is going on since the 'streak' thing is apparent.

You know what though, after buying some losers, I usually keep buying until I have a winner. And after I've got a winner, I stop. When I hit a winner, should I keep buying after that? You'd think there would be losers after a winner, but maybe just the opposite is true.

United States
        Member #41846
        June 23, 2006
        459 Posts
        Posted: January 11, 2012, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

A few years ago you needed to let the machine scan your tickets.  I'm not sure if the machine misread the numbers or tickets were printed wrong, but you would occassionaly get a winner from otherwise losing tickets.  Have not heard of this happening in this area for a couple years, all machines have been replaced.