Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ordering possible numbers?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 5 years ago by KnuckleHead.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
KnuckleHead's avatar - box

United States
Member #73037
April 3, 2009
147 Posts
Posted: January 15, 2012, 5:34 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to take "possible" numbers and order them into draw lines? I'm using a Pick 3 table in the example below:

Example A
3    0    8
3    6    4
3    6    4
8    9    1

Example B
0, 1, 3       
0, 1, 4       
0, 1, 6       
0, 1, 8       
0, 1, 9       
1, 3, 4   
etc. until all combinations are printed.

Is there a way to have the program take 1 of each of the numbers from Example A (without duplicating any numbers) and combine them into separate lines for ticket purchases as in Example B?

Thanks for any assistance

The only DUMB question is the one question you DID NOT ask...

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7318 Posts
    Posted: January 16, 2012, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

Does anyone know how to take "possible" numbers and order them into draw lines? I'm using a Pick 3 table in the example below:

Example A
    3    0    8
    3    6    4
    3    6    4
    8    9    1

Example B
    0, 1, 3       
    0, 1, 4       
    0, 1, 6       
    0, 1, 8       
    0, 1, 9       
    1, 3, 4   

Is there a way to have the program take 1 of each of the numbers from Example A (without duplicating any numbers) and combine them into separate lines for ticket purchases as in Example B?

Using all the digits, 0, 1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, you'll have 35 combinations with 3 different digits (singles). If you want to include the doubles, add another 42 combos. You can use the Lottery Combinations Generator by putting "3" in the numbers of set, "1" in the minimum number and "7" in the maximum number but it shows the combinations using the digits 1 - 7.

There is a wheel generator on Lottery Director that allows you to use specific digits but you must use "10" for the "0".

United States
      Member #73037
      April 3, 2009
      147 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2012, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

Morning Stack47,

I have formulas that come up with the numbers for each draw. I was attempting to create a macro/script that would place these numbers into a format for ease of use. Therefore, I'm not looking for wheels or generators, etc., but a specific macro/script to do the deed. I've figured out how to sort the table of numbers, but, I haven't figured out how to have the program place the numbers into an order using each of the nuumbers in a given line.

Example:

3 numbers, or 4 numbers, or 5 numbers, or 6 numbers to a line, etc.

Thanks for the reply, but, I'm still attempting to figure it out.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: January 16, 2012, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

Example A
        3    0    8
        3    6    4
        3    6    4
        8    9    1

Example B
        0, 1, 3       
        0, 1, 4       
        0, 1, 6       
        0, 1, 8       
        0, 1, 9       
        1, 3, 4   

Are you asking how to create only six-way box numbers from the numbers in table A?

Would 134 make the list but 314 be excluded?

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
          Member #73037
          April 3, 2009
          147 Posts
          Posted: January 16, 2012, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

Hello time*treat,

What I'm attempting to figure out is how to take my Example A numbers and order them into my Example B by using a macro/script whereby the macro/script uses all of the numbers from the Example A table once per combination. I've seen print outs of possible number combinations before, and am attempting to do the same thing with my numbers. My Example B is just a start, there would be several more lines when it finished printing. I'd like to do this for all of the games I track making it easier to prepare tickets.

Thanks for asking.

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: January 17, 2012, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

Example A
            3    0    8
            3    6    4
            3    6    4
            8    9    1

Example B
            0, 1, 3       
            0, 1, 4       
            0, 1, 6       
            0, 1, 8       
            0, 1, 9       
            1, 3, 4   

http://www.lotterypost.com/blog/14556

On Sheet1:

Start with 3,0,8 in row 1, cols 1~3

3,6,4 in row 2, cols 1~3

and so on.... the macro does the rest.

Cheers

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
              Member #121838
              January 18, 2012
              3 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2012, 11:08 am - IP Logged

I have what you need and more. I am new to this forum and cannot paste the image, so if you can reply privately, I have your answer.

United States
                Member #73037
                April 3, 2009
                147 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2012, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

http://www.lotterypost.com/blog/14556

On Sheet1:

Start with 3,0,8 in row 1, cols 1~3

3,6,4 in row 2, cols 1~3

and so on.... the macro does the rest.

Cheers

Hello time*treat,

Wow. Cool.

Now, what program is this created in? Is it Excel or Lotus123?

Thank you very much.

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: January 18, 2012, 2:47 pm - IP Logged

Hello time*treat,

Wow. Cool.

Now, what program is this created in? Is it Excel or Lotus123?

Thank you very much.

It's a vba macro for Excel.

United States
                    Member #73037
                    April 3, 2009
                    147 Posts
                    Posted: January 18, 2012, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

It's a vba macro for Excel.

Thank you, be back to you with the results.

United States
                      Member #73037
                      April 3, 2009
                      147 Posts
                      Posted: January 18, 2012, 5:12 pm - IP Logged

Afternoon time*treat,

It took me a little bit of time to figure of what I needed to do within the Excel program, but it's in and working great. This will save a ton of time in ticket preparations for Pick 3 games when you've got more than 3 possible numbers to play.

I've also taken some time to understand how you created the sub and can see how it could be expanded for Pick 4, 5, or 6 drawn number games.

Have you ever done anything like this for a game with 2 input ranges, such as Mega Millions or Powerball? That would be fantastic. Talk about saving time...

Just what I was attempting to figure out. Thank you very much again.

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: January 18, 2012, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

Afternoon time*treat,

It took me a little bit of time to figure of what I needed to do within the Excel program, but it's in and working great. This will save a ton of time in ticket preparations for Pick 3 games when you've got more than 3 possible numbers to play.

I've also taken some time to understand how you created the sub and can see how it could be expanded for Pick 4, 5, or 6 drawn number games.

Have you ever done anything like this for a game with 2 input ranges, such as Mega Millions or Powerball? That would be fantastic. Talk about saving time...

Just what I was attempting to figure out. Thank you very much again.

I haven't done anything with the MM & PB games. A few of us kicked around some ideas, way back, but couldn't seem to come up with a way/system to select the bonus number with any better success than random.

Now, if you just want to take a group of self-selected bonus numbers and match them up with every possible combination of a main group of numbers, that's a matter of adding a couple more for-next loops, changing the output ranges, etc..

United States
                          Member #73037
                          April 3, 2009
                          147 Posts
                          Posted: January 18, 2012, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

I haven't done anything with the MM & PB games. A few of us kicked around some ideas, way back, but couldn't seem to come up with a way/system to select the bonus number with any better success than random.

Now, if you just want to take a group of self-selected bonus numbers and match them up with every possible combination of a main group of numbers, that's a matter of adding a couple more for-next loops, changing the output ranges, etc..

I have several different ways of coming up with what I consider "Possible Numbers" for a game. I have formulas that then put them all together into a table. Your Pick 3 Simple Builder will save me a lot of time. Once I modify it for the other games (Pick 4, 5, or 6 type games), it'll make it much faster to get things done.

As for Bonus ball games:

Exampe "A" - Possible White Balls

48    29     4    51    24
                          45    33     4    48    29
                          48    45    49    56    51
                          48    12    53    52    46
                          53    56    39    20    33

Example "B" - Possible Bonus Balls

Example "C" - Combined Possible Print Out

4, 12, 20, 24, 29 - 27
                          4, 12, 20, 24, 33 - 27
                          4, 12, 20, 24, 39 - 27
                          4, 12, 20, 24, 45 - 27
                          4, 12, 20, 24, 46 - 27
                          4, 12, 20, 24, 48 - 27

Looking at what the Simple Builder does, I don't see how to add the Possible Bonus Balls to the sub and have them still work out correctly. You describe what's needed as fairly simple to accomplish. If you have the time, Thank you. It'd be great.

United States
                            Member #13130
                            March 30, 2005
                            2171 Posts
                            Posted: January 18, 2012, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

LOL Well, the Simple Builder is only checking P3 @ 1,000 combinations and with a little work could be expanded to handle P4 @ 10,000 combinations, but going to P5 & JP games requires a different level of modification. I'd call it a re-write.

Once you're ready to jump up to PB & MM, you're in 175 million combination territory. That will require a Far More Complex Builder. Jester

If you do a search for lexicographic, you'll find vb code threads that relate to jackpot type games. That should give you an idea of what would be involved. The good thing is you won't have to build it up from scratch, you just have to understand the macros and be able to customize them to fit your needs.

United States
                              Member #73037
                              April 3, 2009
                              147 Posts
                              Posted: January 18, 2012, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

LOL Well, the Simple Builder is only checking P3 @ 1,000 combinations and with a little work could be expanded to handle P4 @ 10,000 combinations, but going to P5 & JP games requires a different level of modification. I'd call it a re-write.

Once you're ready to jump up to PB & MM, you're in 175 million combination territory. That will require a Far More Complex Builder. Jester

If you do a search for lexicographic, you'll find vb code threads that relate to jackpot type games. That should give you an idea of what would be involved. The good thing is you won't have to build it up from scratch, you just have to understand the macros and be able to customize them to fit your needs.

time*treat,

I think I'm missing something... Looking at the code, I was under the belief that the sub took the available numbers and placed only those numbers in order. Are you saying that the system takes the code and creates the entire list of ordered numbers in it's memory, then only prints the number combinations from the numbers in the table?

As for lexicographic, I'd not heard of this before. I need to research this so that I can have an attempt at understanding...

Thank you again, you've inadvertently broadened my horizons.