Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ask for a Fat one!

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 5 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: January 16, 2012, 1:37 am - IP Logged

I was in Spain for Christmas and witnessed the success of the 'El Gordo' lottery. I also participated but did not win, but it was fun. The Spanish Christmas Lottery, known as 'El Gordo' in Spanish (or 'The Fat One'), has the biggest prize pool of any lottery in the world. It is a national lottery game organized every year since 1812. Because of the unique way El Gordo is played (the expensive tickets are broken down into 10 smaller tickets), it can be quite sociable to play the Spanish Christmas Lottery.

I think such a lottery would be popular in the US at Christmas time, in addition to the usual lottery games. It would also raise additional revenue. State lotteries should consider introducing such a game, on a national level, for next Christmas. I would like other lottery players to write to their state lottery and recommend that US lotteries introduce a FAT ONE for next Christmas.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7309 Posts
    Posted: January 16, 2012, 7:35 am - IP Logged

I was in Spain for Christmas and witnessed the success of the 'El Gordo' lottery. I also participated but did not win, but it was fun. The Spanish Christmas Lottery, known as 'El Gordo' in Spanish (or 'The Fat One'), has the biggest prize pool of any lottery in the world. It is a national lottery game organized every year since 1812. Because of the unique way El Gordo is played (the expensive tickets are broken down into 10 smaller tickets), it can be quite sociable to play the Spanish Christmas Lottery.

I think such a lottery would be popular in the US at Christmas time, in addition to the usual lottery games. It would also raise additional revenue. State lotteries should consider introducing such a game, on a national level, for next Christmas. I would like other lottery players to write to their state lottery and recommend that US lotteries introduce a FAT ONE for next Christmas.

I can't remember the last time there were two winning jackpot tickets on either PB or MM so any suggestion I'd have for my lottery would be for more $1 million dollar winners. Many of the Christmas time Raffles generated $10 million with $5 million going to the players. For every $1 million winner (and there were many) $250,000 was deducted for Federal taxes and all the states collected their share of State taxes.

If we're going to have a "Fat One", let's have one where the lotteries only deduct expenses and have the players share 95% of the sales. Why spend $20 on raffle ticket when the majority of winners get $100 when a $2 Pick 3 box bet gets more than that?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: January 16, 2012, 10:41 am - IP Logged

I can't remember the last time there were two winning jackpot tickets on either PB or MM so any suggestion I'd have for my lottery would be for more $1 million dollar winners. Many of the Christmas time Raffles generated $10 million with $5 million going to the players. For every $1 million winner (and there were many) $250,000 was deducted for Federal taxes and all the states collected their share of State taxes.

If we're going to have a "Fat One", let's have one where the lotteries only deduct expenses and have the players share 95% of the sales. Why spend $20 on raffle ticket when the majority of winners get $100 when a $2 Pick 3 box bet gets more than that?

I Agree! That would be a nice annual gesture for the Christmas season.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5120 Posts
        Posted: January 18, 2012, 12:16 am - IP Logged

I Agree! That would be a nice annual gesture for the Christmas season.

PartyDrumPartyNo TAXXIE''''''''''''$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 18, 2012, 12:34 am - IP Logged

Something makes me laugh everytime I look at the title of this thread - "Ask for a Fat one!"

And I don't know why.

Bondi Junction
            Australia
            Member #57242
            December 24, 2007
            1102 Posts
            Posted: January 18, 2012, 9:00 pm - IP Logged
            This is the response I got from the Michigan Lottery. Please write to you lottery and ask for a Fat One.

Dear Player,

Thank you for the suggestion! 

Sincerely,

Lottery PR Department

sully16's avatar - sharan
              Ringleader
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #81740
              October 28, 2009
              40422 Posts
              Posted: January 19, 2012, 10:40 am - IP Logged
              This is the response I got from the Michigan Lottery. Please write to you lottery and ask for a Fat One.

Dear Player,

Thank you for the suggestion! 

Sincerely,

Lottery PR Department

And to think, they pay big money to have this very smart person , who gave such a detailed reply, ( sarcasm )

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: January 19, 2012, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

How about having a game where 5 numbers are 1-75 and and 1 number is 1-30....costs  a quarter to play..... but you can only win with 5 correct numbers or the entire jackpot  ???.....just a thought   What?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5120 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2012, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

How about having a game where 5 numbers are 1-75 and and 1 number is 1-30....costs  a quarter to play..... but you can only win with 5 correct numbers or the entire jackpot  ???.....just a thought   What?

LET's>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GET>>>>>>>>>>>FAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MEGA GORTO >>>>FAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

MEGA GEORGE WASHINGTON>>>>LOTTERY>>>>>>2>HIT on GEORGE'S BIRTHDAY????????????????

PartyParty?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

WHAT do U think????????????>>>>>>TODD????!

ONLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>todd COULD>WOULD >SHUTTAAAAAAA GIVE U$ >>ANSWER$$$!!

2222222222222222222222222PartyPartyTHIS WON>>>$$$$$

EL GORTO GEORE WASHINGTON??????????????????????????????????????????????????????$$$$$$$$

Jack-in-the-Box

Bondi Junction
                    Australia
                    Member #57242
                    December 24, 2007
                    1102 Posts
                    Posted: January 21, 2012, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

El Gordo is a raffle style lottery. We are looking into the legality of having that style lottery in Texas.

Thanks for contacting us,

This is the reply from Texas. Please email your lottery and as for a fat one!

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7309 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2012, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

A 5/75 game with 30 bonus numbers has 517,781,700 combinations. The odds of matching 5 numbers without the bonus numbers is 17,259,390 to 1. Scratch-offs have already passed the $5 per ticket average and the current trend seems to be $2 a ticket online games. I doubt well ever see a quarter game.

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: January 25, 2012, 7:16 pm - IP Logged
                        This is the response I got from the Vermont Lottery.

Thank you for contacting us with your idea.  Although we have no plans to participate in this game, we are always open to suggestions on ways to create more player interest and increase revenue for the State of Vermont.

We appreciate your comments and thank you again for taking the time to email us.  Player feedback is always welcome and of interest to us at the Vermont Lottery.

Bondi Junction
                          Australia
                          Member #57242
                          December 24, 2007
                          1102 Posts
                          Posted: February 1, 2012, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

This is the reply I got from the Nebraskans!

Thank you for your interest in the Nebraska Lottery. The Nebraska Lottery appreciates the input our players provide regarding our products and services, and we will keep your comments in mind as we continue to improve our product offerings.

Again, thank you for contacting us. We appreciate your interest and your business.

Bondi Junction
                            Australia
                            Member #57242
                            December 24, 2007
                            1102 Posts
                            Posted: February 4, 2012, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

I got the following response from New York!

Thank you for suggestion.

We have forwarded this to our Public Relations Department.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: February 4, 2012, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I got the following response from New York!

Thank you for suggestion.

We have forwarded this to our Public Relations Department.

That's the old "Don't call us, we'll call you" response.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke