Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Newbie with a few questions...

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ILLotteryX.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Woodstock, GA
United States
Member #122144
January 25, 2012
6 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2012, 10:14 am - IP Logged

Hey guys, I'm new to this site and wanted some input from some of you more 'seasoned' scratchers.  I'm not a 'big spender' and typically will buy a few scratchers here or there, so obviously I don't consider myself an expert when it comes to this... 

With that said, I've come into a few bucks and have always wanted to buy a roll of tickets, partly for the fun of it, and the other part being the 'unknown'.  Unknown as in, even with starting a new roll, if you don't buy them all, you never know the 'what if' of the next ticket should you stop...  So, with that said, yep, probably going to do the whole roll and take my chances.  I've read up on here and I know some of what to expect (certain % pay back, etc).  Where my questions fall, is what would you do, given these few examples below.

I'm in GA, roll cost $300.00, so the take the cost of the ticket and that gives you the number per roll. 

Games I'm considering:

$10.00 tix, Odds:  1:2.56, Max Prize:  $500K, 20 remaining top prizes

$20.00 tix, Odds:  1:3.03, Max Prize:  $1M, 8 remaining top prizes-- this offers a '2nd chance' drawing for 'losers' of $10K

$5.00 tix, Odds:  1:4.05, Max Prize:  $500K, all 4 top prizes remain-- NEW game

Now, I've read on here where the odds are more 'overall', but for the top game I mentioned, this has pretty much ALWAYS held true with me.  If I buy 3, 1 is a winner... Maybe 4, but 2 in 6 would be.  AND, the top tix has given me my best payout to date, $500.00 several months back. 

So, thoughts?  Input?  Suggestions? 

Thanks.

Woodstock, GA
    United States
    Member #122144
    January 25, 2012
    6 Posts
    Posted: January 25, 2012, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Maybe I should have shorten it... So how about this, would you:

Go for a game that has better odds and plenty of top prizes left, though top prize isn't as high as others or,

Go for a game that has decent odds, a few top prizes left which are twice as much as the others listed, and offers a '2nd chance' drawing or,

Go for a new game with all top prizes left  figuring they may have more frequent winners in the beginning to develop interest.

Miami, Florida
      United States
      Member #111795
      June 2, 2011
      581 Posts
      Posted: January 25, 2012, 11:48 am - IP Logged

Maybe I should have shorten it... So how about this, would you:

Go for a game that has better odds and plenty of top prizes left, though top prize isn't as high as others or,

Go for a game that has decent odds, a few top prizes left which are twice as much as the others listed, and offers a '2nd chance' drawing or,

Go for a new game with all top prizes left  figuring they may have more frequent winners in the beginning to develop interest.

I'm generally a fan of the $20 games---although I just hit Five Hundo on a $10 game yesterday........One question:  Are the odds really better on those $10 games in Georgia? You list the odds for the ten dollar game at 1:2.56, better than the odds for the twenty dollar game. If that is the case, you may want to go with the ten dollar game. You also mention at the bottom of your first post that you have had better results with the 'first' set of games--the ten dollar games. Maybe you should stick with them. I know it's a toss-up, and it's ultimately up to you, but if you have always had better results with the ten dollar games, try a roll of those. If you end up with a profit, or if you only take a small hit, then re-invest what you have left into a roll of the twenty dollar games and see which one is better. If you get slaughtered on the first roll, then cut your losses, but if you do well enough on your first roll to be able to try a second roll of a different denomination game, then by all means give it a shot. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Woodstock, GA
        United States
        Member #122144
        January 25, 2012
        6 Posts
        Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm generally a fan of the $20 games---although I just hit Five Hundo on a $10 game yesterday........One question:  Are the odds really better on those $10 games in Georgia? You list the odds for the ten dollar game at 1:2.56, better than the odds for the twenty dollar game. If that is the case, you may want to go with the ten dollar game. You also mention at the bottom of your first post that you have had better results with the 'first' set of games--the ten dollar games. Maybe you should stick with them. I know it's a toss-up, and it's ultimately up to you, but if you have always had better results with the ten dollar games, try a roll of those. If you end up with a profit, or if you only take a small hit, then re-invest what you have left into a roll of the twenty dollar games and see which one is better. If you get slaughtered on the first roll, then cut your losses, but if you do well enough on your first roll to be able to try a second roll of a different denomination game, then by all means give it a shot. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Thanks for the input.  And you're right, based on odds and 'history' I have with the game, I'm leaning heavily towards the $10 game.  It's just I do know that the $20 games, when they hit, are typically 'bigger' winners and the alure of '2nd chance', which I've never participated in before... And then, this new game being introduced had a slight allure just, well, because it's new-- and I've read where many feel new games have a tendency to hit good in the beginning and then cool off some. 

And in terms of the odds, I just quoted what's both listed on the back of the ticket and the GA Lottery website.  It's the 'overall' odds in winning something.  We have 2 $10-games currently that are sub-1:3.00, and a couple others that are under 1:3.50.  Again, the odds may be higher to win something, but there aren't as many bigger ($100+) payouts as with $20 games.

Woodstock, GA
          United States
          Member #122144
          January 25, 2012
          6 Posts
          Posted: January 25, 2012, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

Went with $20/tix roll....

Woodstock, GA
            United States
            Member #122144
            January 25, 2012
            6 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2012, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

15 ticket roll = $300.00... As previously mentioned with the odds, I was figuring on 4-5 winners for the roll (1:3.03), but ended up with 6.

000-Lose

001-$20.00

002-$100.00

003-Lose

004-$20.00

005-Lose

006-Lose

007-Lose

008-$20.00

009-Lose

010-Lose

011-Lose

012-Lose

013-$20.00

014-$40.00

Total cost, $300.00, win:  $220.00, so not to bad with a 73% ROI.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
              Nashville, TN
              United States
              Member #86739
              February 9, 2010
              483 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2012, 4:57 pm - IP Logged

15 ticket roll = $300.00... As previously mentioned with the odds, I was figuring on 4-5 winners for the roll (1:3.03), but ended up with 6.

000-Lose

001-$20.00

002-$100.00

003-Lose

004-$20.00

005-Lose

006-Lose

007-Lose

008-$20.00

009-Lose

010-Lose

011-Lose

012-Lose

013-$20.00

014-$40.00

Total cost, $300.00, win:  $220.00, so not to bad with a 73% ROI.

I will say CONGRATULATIONS! because even though you didnt profit, you didnt too bad either, comparitively speaking.

For one thing you are in the best state for scratch-offs, IMHO. I live in TN but always play in GA when passing through (even hit a JUMBO on Jingle Jumbo Bucks last month when coming back from SC).

I have always heard the avg return is 60% on a roll of tickets, so for 73% doesnt seem too bad.

You've actually got me thinking maybe if/when I do bite the bullet and purchase my first roll, maybe I'll look to do it in GA.

I was going to suggest going with the $10 or $20 roll as well. I consider how many top prizes remain when choosing a game. About 95% of games in TN only have 3 or 4 top prizes upon release, which to me is extremely lame.

Good job and keep us posted if you get anymore!

Woodstock, GA
                United States
                Member #122144
                January 25, 2012
                6 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2012, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I will say CONGRATULATIONS! because even though you didnt profit, you didnt too bad either, comparitively speaking.

For one thing you are in the best state for scratch-offs, IMHO. I live in TN but always play in GA when passing through (even hit a JUMBO on Jingle Jumbo Bucks last month when coming back from SC).

I have always heard the avg return is 60% on a roll of tickets, so for 73% doesnt seem too bad.

You've actually got me thinking maybe if/when I do bite the bullet and purchase my first roll, maybe I'll look to do it in GA.

I was going to suggest going with the $10 or $20 roll as well. I consider how many top prizes remain when choosing a game. About 95% of games in TN only have 3 or 4 top prizes upon release, which to me is extremely lame.

Good job and keep us posted if you get anymore!

Thanks.  I was hoping for around $150-$170 in winnings, so $220 (while not the "big one") is great!!!  The game is:  "Maximum Green".  The $10 game I referenced is:  "Jumbo Jumbo Bucks".  It's been around a WHILE, and there's still 20 top prizes out there (100 of 120 claimed).   Note sure if I'll 'roll' my winnings back in, or what, but I'll post back if I do any good. 

Thanks again.

Chicago
                  United States
                  Member #122152
                  January 25, 2012
                  9 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2012, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Hi lefty left-eye,

I had to read your results again.

I dont think a 27% loss is "not so bad" - I would consider it "bad"! 

I do hope you win more next time! 

I appreciate you posting your results!

More Power to ya!