Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How to let LP know if you won the big one . . .

Topic closed. 21 replies. Last post 5 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #59337
March 13, 2008
38 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2012, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

We all dream big and hope for the improbable, but I've seen too much "power of positive thinking" actually work to discount the approach.  So let's say you win a jackpot game.  I was wondering about a few things, how I would handle them and what others here might do.  When I read here about members winning money - even just a bit - it makes me happy for them, since I am part of this psychological "ingroup".  I didn't win, but at least (((we))) won.  Maybe not everyone feels the same way, but that's me.

Here's my questions to y'all . . .

1.  Would you let LP know?  How?

(I would probably PM Todd at least and let him know, and ask him to keep my anonymity and just post that one of our own has won the big momma.  LP members would see the real name in the news but they wouldn't have to know the screen name).

2.  Would you mention LP in your (required in some places) press release?  How?

(I'm not sure how I would handle this one.  I so want to give credit to the website that has given me ideas, inspiration and some good laughs, but I don't want to compromise my win or have people think there is a conspiracy.  I also wouldn't want the site crashing from newbies swarming.  I could do it in code . . . tell the lottery officials I'm going to buy a pony and name it Tiggs or Ridge, or say I'm starting a MMA promotion company called Mad Dog).

Thoughts?  What would you do?  Please forgive if this has been asked before, but since its such an individual question and group dynamics change I thought it would be okay to ask again.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2012, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

We all dream big and hope for the improbable, but I've seen too much "power of positive thinking" actually work to discount the approach.  So let's say you win a jackpot game.  I was wondering about a few things, how I would handle them and what others here might do.  When I read here about members winning money - even just a bit - it makes me happy for them, since I am part of this psychological "ingroup".  I didn't win, but at least (((we))) won.  Maybe not everyone feels the same way, but that's me.

(I would probably PM Todd at least and let him know, and ask him to keep my anonymity and just post that one of our own has won the big momma.  LP members would see the real name in the news but they wouldn't have to know the screen name).

(I'm not sure how I would handle this one.  I so want to give credit to the website that has given me ideas, inspiration and some good laughs, but I don't want to compromise my win or have people think there is a conspiracy.  I also wouldn't want the site crashing from newbies swarming.  I could do it in code . . . tell the lottery officials I'm going to buy a pony and name it Tiggs or Ridge, or say I'm starting a MMA promotion company called Mad Dog).

Thoughts?  What would you do?  Please forgive if this has been asked before, but since its such an individual question and group dynamics change I thought it would be okay to ask again.

1. Probably but I haven't decided yet. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. I'd like to but I've left a trail of brokenhearted wimmins in my wake (some of 'em crazy as a loon) necessitatin' a life below the radar. My ears can't stand no yap, yap, yappin' no more. I am one with the mountain and I shall not be moved. I take an oath on that. Dadgum straight.

2. Course.

Now, if you get a horse and can't decide whether to name it Tiggs or Ridge, just split it. Name the front half Ridge and the back half Tiggs.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19894 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2012, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

If I ever win a lottery jackpot and want the LP folks to know I'll wear the LP cap and shirt I bought a few years back at my press conference but don't send any requests for money as I don't plan on sharing.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
        TX
        United States
        Member #121193
        January 4, 2012
        1637 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2012, 6:04 am - IP Logged

Let LP know ??  hmmmmmmmmmmm, probably not until after the big payday No No
        No Press release, too many unstable folks out there trying to cause drama....Crazy
        Course I might tell Ridge so we can grab a drink, show him a copy of the winning ticket and discuss his favorite  President (B.O)just to get a neutral opinion  Big Smile

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

kyokushin187's avatar - evildead2
          cornwall,ct
          United States
          Member #102636
          December 23, 2010
          245 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2012, 9:12 am - IP Logged

the first thing i would do after forming a trust is deleting all social media accounts.

United States
            Member #59337
            March 13, 2008
            38 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2012, 11:34 am - IP Logged

I thought about doing that, but can you really and truly run away from your life?  Hubby and I have worked out a decent plan for the hordes of greedy ne'er do wells and mischief that might come our way.  And I would bet most of them come from everyday life and not my "internet circle".

1.  Kidnap my dog (since I have no kids)??  He is an incredibly smart Boxer with a microchip.  After he rips their face or junk off, he'll stop at the nearest vet clinic to scan himself in and go home.  My elderly mom is pretty tough too . . . she's survived heart failure for 40 years and three strokes.  If we have a nuclear winter, her and Keith Richards will be wandering around a desolate wasteland together.  Smile

2.  Take me hostage, I'm a helpless female?  Ha.  Tell that to the guy at the beach who broke into my hotel room.  He got tackled and thrown down a flight of stairs, and his shirt and shoes presented to the police when they showed up.  MMA training is useful in real life.  I put the fear of blonde into that man . . . as one eyewitness stated to the police, "That boy was runnin' from her like a scalded dog!"  Forgive me if I've told the story before here, I'm just proud for foiling a burglary and getting a criminal caught for a string of 30 thefts.  Okay, and I'm proud of being a little bit bad-ass, even though that ain't a wimmin's role, generally.  Evil Smile

I've done nothing anyone could blackmail me over, I have weeded out my loser/user friends . . . (useful way to do this:  have a good paying job, be generous and buy people stuff, then lose the job and money and see who stays around - it also cements that you have a good spouse when they stick around for that). 

I would use brand spanking new accounts to put my money in, and none of my online stuff is financial, so what could people really do? I might hide behind a trust name but people have a way of ferreting out information eventually.  Even without online media my professional experience, education and prior media appearances make me well known in my community and I think they would figure it out.

As for the hordes of needy people from our life, we already have an outline for who we would help and how . . just need to nail down details with a lawyer/fin advisor if the blessed day ever comes. I have a list of Things I Would Do With the Money that is proportional to the jackpot.  I can't run a soup kitchen for a decent length of time without a big enough jackpot.  And yes, that's personal - my brother in law had to live off a soup kitchen until he moved closer to me and could come over to my house.  And I can't afford to feed him really, but I refuse to let him and his scoliosis walk 3 miles to get soggy canned vegetables.  So I'm not heartless, and sometimes I give more than I can afford.  I can't build and staff an ER vet clinic with a starting jackpot . . . and my area is sorely in need of an animal critical care facility.  Ask my friend who just died at 39 a few weeks ago of a heart attack how hard it is to be a solo veterinarian.  If I set up a trust, that's what it would handle - the charity work.

In fact, let me end my post that way.  Today, just appreciate your veterinarian (if you have one).  They give their heart and soul and body over to their work, and very often their flesh and blood is taken by the patients.  Love a vet today, they deserve it more than you know.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5142 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2012, 5:47 pm - IP Logged

PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

Todd will KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

(Todd will contact YOU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>)

Lottery Post is GREAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5142 Posts
                Posted: February 6, 2012, 9:06 pm - IP Logged

PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

Todd will KNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!PartyPartyPartyPartyPartyParty

(Todd will contact YOU>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>)

Lottery Post is GREAT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

I Agree!

no>>>>>>>TAKER'sssssssssssYET???????

Todd>>>>>WILL>>>>>>>>>>KNOW!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

Republic of Texas
                  United States
                  Member #57557
                  January 9, 2008
                  1095 Posts
                  Posted: February 6, 2012, 10:38 pm - IP Logged
                  Today, just appreciate your veterinarian (if you have one).  They give their heart and soul and body over to their work, and very often their flesh and blood is taken by the patients.  Love a vet today, they deserve it more than you know.
                  Thumbs Up   LOL, I love my vet, even when she tells me my Iggy is gonna look like a beagle on stilts if she doesn't go on a diet.
                  Nice plan, Feadogger. Wink
                  1. Yeah, I'd probably let Todd know, but more than likely delete my account along with scrubbing my internet presence. I'd probably come back and set up a new account and spy on y'all. Type  Lurking
                  2. And yeah, I'd give a shout out to LP, mention a few names. I'd be collecting under limited publicity, so I don't know how much I'd be able to say, so...  Embarassed

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5142 Posts
                    Posted: February 6, 2012, 11:35 pm - IP Logged
                    Today, just appreciate your veterinarian (if you have one).  They give their heart and soul and body over to their work, and very often their flesh and blood is taken by the patients.  Love a vet today, they deserve it more than you know.
                    Thumbs Up   LOL, I love my vet, even when she tells me my Iggy is gonna look like a beagle on stilts if she doesn't go on a diet.
                    Nice plan, Feadogger. Wink
                    1. Yeah, I'd probably let Todd know, but more than likely delete my account along with scrubbing my internet presence. I'd probably come back and set up a new account and spy on y'all. Type  Lurking
                    2. And yeah, I'd give a shout out to LP, mention a few names. I'd be collecting under limited publicity, so I don't know how much I'd be able to say, so...  Embarassed

DanceBig Grin AngelDance

SOUND'S LIKE CHICAGO POLITICIAN'ssss!!!!

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

2222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

MEEEEE>>>>NOOOOOOOooooooooooNNNNNNNNNNoo

ddddddddddddddddOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN'TTTTTTtttttttttttttttshoot>>>>SHOOT>MEginnnnnn

Jack-in-the-Box>>>>>>>>>>>>>>no>>>DON'T FIRE me>>>>>>U>>>>>CAN't>>>>>DOooooothattttttttt!

Arlington, TX
                      United States
                      Member #121691
                      January 15, 2012
                      15 Posts
                      Posted: February 7, 2012, 8:21 am - IP Logged

Yes, I will happily give LP a shout out upon winning the big one... in fact I will claim LP is the reason for my win and keeping the faith in the Lottery system!!!!!

I will not keep my ID a secret though, I know many people want to keep it on the down low, I will just state that my new favorite word is "NO" and I have a shotgun named Marcus :)

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        41926 Posts
                        Posted: February 7, 2012, 9:50 am - IP Logged

No , I kept my mouth shut about that, Big Grin but, everything else will still be fair game. I would still be here everyday.

I really enjoy all the different people I get to interact with on a daily basis.Smiley

HyperBe Happy.

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: February 7, 2012, 11:13 am - IP Logged

No , I kept my mouth shut about that, Big Grin but, everything else will still be fair game. I would still be here everyday.

I really enjoy all the different people I get to interact with on a daily basis.Smiley

Same here sully. Gee.....maybe youv'e already won a few lotteries??? Of course you'll never tell (LOL).   Roll Eyes

If you have won, congratulations! I'm sure your doing your part to stimulate our economy.  Patriot

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            North Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #64582
                            September 1, 2008
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: February 7, 2012, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

I would definitely let Todd know because I'd want some advice from all you guys. But I would get a new "name".

My one big worry was getting too many newbies here crashing the site if I were to say something about this website. So maybe just have Todd do my speech to the press and have him wear his hat.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              41926 Posts
                              Posted: February 7, 2012, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Same here sully. Gee.....maybe youv'e already won a few lotteries??? Of course you'll never tell (LOL).   Roll Eyes

If you have won, congratulations! I'm sure your doing your part to stimulate our economy.  Patriot

My husband will tell you I do to much to stimulate the economy, He hears the words ' Lets go shopping " He disappears, just like magic. LOL

HyperBe Happy.