Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 9:19 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Advice about setting up a lottery syndicates

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 5 years ago by uklotteryplayer.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United Kingdom
Member #122950
February 10, 2012
85 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2012, 1:21 am - IP Logged

I live in UK and I have been playing the lottery since 2002. Since 2005, I set aside around £100 for my hobby. This includes playing on my own and also as a part of lottery syndicate with colleagues. The most that we have won is 4 numbers Confused.

One of my friend thought about setting up a lottery syndicate on the web but still wondering whether it is worth the hassle.If there are other lottery syndicates which offers better ideas than what we thought, we are thinking of just joining that lottery syndicate.

Here is a draft of our plan in a question and answer type. Please feel free to give "constructive criticism".

a) How much does it cost to join

£5  a month and maximum is £25 a month

b) How many tickets

For £5 = £40 worth of main lotto tickets

For £25 = £200 worth of main lotto tickets

c) How many members per group

maximum of 10 members per group

(It means for a group with only 1 member giving £5, we will have to contribute an extra £35 for the guaranteed number of tickets. In a full group however with 10 members giving a total of £50, we may gain £10 theoretically)

We are not interested in profit and we just wanted to win the jackpot so we plan to create a new group once we have 8 members in a group.

We also thought about giving an incentive of 10% for the recruitement things.

other costs would go to Paypal, web development, setting up a limited company to protect our personal assets, etc.

Generally, we still think we will lose out £100 each in our hobby but at least with more tickets our chances will be better.

What do you guys think. Anything else that we need to do?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2012, 1:51 am - IP Logged

Get 10 people to join. i would keep it people you know.

Everyone puts in 50,75, or 100.

Now you can buy 50,75,or 100 worth of tickets for every draw and everyone will be included in 10 draws. Not sure if this is what you're asking.

We have something like that called a lotto subscription.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2012, 2:01 am - IP Logged

the reason people who run most syndicates charge so much is they have to  hire lawyers and such to  write out there rules,and defend against spurious claims. and also to make a buck.

you gotta ask yourself is it really worth all the hassle running it " not for profit " when the 1st major win you get every person who sent you £5, is gonna want to sue you for a cut?

you are onto a right idea pooling together , not joining someone elses syndicate. and your questionaire seemed ok. if you look over most people here would tell you to avoid pools/ syndicates. like the plague.

i play with a few syndicates, and assume everyone will be cool. maybe they wont. only time will tell.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United Kingdom
        Member #122950
        February 10, 2012
        85 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2012, 2:43 am - IP Logged

Obviously we already thought of putting people in groups with allocated tickets to prevent them from claiming more than what they deserve.

We knew that other lottery syndicates charge so much that they only play around 30-50% 0f the money they receive and this is the reason why we didn't join other online lottery syndicate.

We also belong to a syndicate before but it seems that we two are the only people who can spend a bit more than £100 a month.

Re: being sued. We already have thought about safeguards in place like making contracts, making it a registered company, etc. If someone sues us, we think we can afford to counter sue anyway.

My friend have been busy setting up the website which is still incomplete. As it is very early stages, we are still open in making changes to improve the set up or if there are better lottery syndicates, we thought of joining them.

The chances of being sued we felt are actually higher with other colleagues that we know. We stopped playing with the syndicate at work as some were not paying on time and others are paying on others behalf which could cause problems in the future. We just didn't want to look like we don't trust our colleages but things can change with a win.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
          adelaide sa
          Australia
          Member #37136
          April 11, 2006
          3300 Posts
          Posted: February 11, 2012, 3:09 am - IP Logged

yeah £100 a month is a big call. sounds like you already know what you want to do, good luck with it.

the point about suing is there are always lawyers willing to work for free when chasing a cut of a jackpot. i dont know if there are as many willing to work for free defending a claim.

as far as syndicates go, one where im not being screwed from the get go sounds more appealing than the usual, half the money goes to the company type business i see spruiked on the net. good luck to you.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 11, 2012, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

In my personal opinion lottery pools ain't worth the headaches from a lot of different perspectives.

I would only consider one with family or very close friends that I see on a daily basis.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United Kingdom
              Member #122950
              February 10, 2012
              85 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

In my personal opinion lottery pools ain't worth the headaches from a lot of different perspectives.

I would only consider one with family or very close friends that I see on a daily basis.

I used to think like that personally as well and perhaps that is the reason why I haven't won the jackpot up to now even though I am playing with a lot of money on my own and with other syndicates as well.

I would be interested really what is this "headache from lot of different perspectives." Obviously this is something that our syndicate have to work on to become credible in the future.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2012, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

I used to think like that personally as well and perhaps that is the reason why I haven't won the jackpot up to now even though I am playing with a lot of money on my own and with other syndicates as well.

I would be interested really what is this "headache from lot of different perspectives." Obviously this is something that our syndicate have to work on to become credible in the future.

Sounds like you're getting defensive which makes me think you're already operating and just here to recruit.

--Edmund Burke

United Kingdom
                  Member #122950
                  February 10, 2012
                  85 Posts
                  Posted: February 11, 2012, 2:16 pm - IP Logged

Just asking for advice and not really here to seek argument. Life is too short for that and I just want to be in a group that wins the jackpot.
                  If you have read, I am in Uk and the site and most members here are in the US so this is not the best place to recruit. It is just that there is no site which is specifically dedicated to lottery in our country.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 11, 2012, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Just asking for advice and not really here to seek argument. Life is too short for that and I just want to be in a group that wins the jackpot.
                    If you have read, I am in Uk and the site and most members here are in the US so this is not the best place to recruit. It is just that there is no site which is specifically dedicated to lottery in our country.

OK, sorry if I misunderstood. Best of luck to you.

--Edmund Burke

United Kingdom
                      Member #122950
                      February 10, 2012
                      85 Posts
                      Posted: February 11, 2012, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

OK, sorry if I misunderstood. Best of luck to you.

No worries mate.
                      I do agree that playing with someone you know is the best when it comes to lottery syndicate. I also play with other lottery syndicate but I have more cash to spare which makes me feel that Imight as well play on my own.
                      By the way, do you know any other good online lottery syndicates in the US that I can perhaps get some idea on how to run or pattern my syndicate?
                      Honestly we already have an up and running syndicate but it is still incomplete and at early stage, we tend to modify it depending on what idea we get.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: February 11, 2012, 2:55 pm - IP Logged

No worries mate.
                        I do agree that playing with someone you know is the best when it comes to lottery syndicate. I also play with other lottery syndicate but I have more cash to spare which makes me feel that Imight as well play on my own.
                        By the way, do you know any other good online lottery syndicates in the US that I can perhaps get some idea on how to run or pattern my syndicate?
                        Honestly we already have an up and running syndicate but it is still incomplete and at early stage, we tend to modify it depending on what idea we get.

Sorry guy, can't help ya with that.

Might be somebody else here that can though, hang tight.

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                          Zeta Reticuli Star System
                          United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10351 Posts
                          Posted: February 11, 2012, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Just one example of many in the 'headaches' category, there have been cases in the U.S. where someone was playing in a pool and on some particular day decided they didn't want to be included for that draw.

So that's the day the pool won the jackpot- and the one who didn't want to be included shows up and says, "Where's my share?"

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United Kingdom
                            Member #122950
                            February 10, 2012
                            85 Posts
                            Posted: February 12, 2012, 1:42 am - IP Logged

This have happened when people were paying up for someone else and this is the reason why we left our syndicate at work. We've got two of our colleagues who frequently goes offsick and some have been paying on their behalf but doesn't want to pay anymore. We just did't want to sound like the suspicious colleagues.
                            The lottery syndicate we will set up will operate on a strict no pay, no play situation. We will only send our tickets to people who have paid for the month so people who have not paid can't cause any trouble. Anyway here in Uk, we have an option whether to go public or not.
                            We will also be thinking now of having our tickets password protected in our site.
                            Thanks.