Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:04 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Auto pick numbers or pick them yourself??

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 5 years ago by time*treat.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New York's avatar - 103h4yr
NYC
United States
Member #117984
October 19, 2011
1843 Posts
Posted: February 12, 2012, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

Quick Picks are said to win about 70% of the time.

But you didn't hear it from me.

Surrender

I Agree!... Almost all Jackpot stories I read about, half the time the ticket was a quick pick. That's why I started relying on quick picks because of this fact. Maybe patience is the factor to winning. Word of advice to everyone: Replay your losing quick picks time to time. They can produce a winner. Thumbs Up

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 12, 2012, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!... Almost all Jackpot stories I read about, half the time the ticket was a quick pick. That's why I started relying on quick picks because of this fact. Maybe patience is the factor to winning. Word of advice to everyone: Replay your losing quick picks time to time. They can produce a winner. Thumbs Up

My $200K win (5 white balls in "07"), was a quick pick. (2-23-24-27-36)   Lep

NYC
      United States
      Member #117984
      October 19, 2011
      1843 Posts
      Posted: February 12, 2012, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that's awesome! See, quick picks do produce winners, I just guess it's a matter of patience. Cool

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: February 12, 2012, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Wow, that's awesome! See, quick picks do produce winners, I just guess it's a matter of patience. Cool

Or just dumb luck.    LOL

NYC
          United States
          Member #117984
          October 19, 2011
          1843 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2012, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Or just dumb luck.    LOL

LOL, right?! Green laugh

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3159 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2012, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Did you buy the quickpick the same day as the draw. I'm seeing that alot. Started playing my numbers and quickpick on the same card.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2012, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Did you buy the quickpick the same day as the draw. I'm seeing that alot. Started playing my numbers and quickpick on the same card.

In this case yes, the drawing was for Saturday. I picked up my 2 lines (my pick + quick pick) on same ticket.

Most cases however, I usually pick my tickets a day or two before the drawing.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3090 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2012, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

I have been using Quick Picks for years to little success.  Have won $100 or 4 numbers in the first five and no powerball.  I'm not bitter about it.  Just waiting my turn for a winner.  Come on baby!  Daddy needs a new pair a shoes!-weshar75

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                  adelaide sa
                  Australia
                  Member #37136
                  April 11, 2006
                  3315 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2012, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

im guessing the fact that most play QP's , and most wins are QP's have some connection.

if most combos where chosen by tea leaves, and jackpot winners started saying i chose my numbers by the   image i got from the tea leaves left in my cup after drinking the tea. like every jackpot winner form now for the next 2 years! would we all start drinking tea?>

personally i would star buying shares in  tea manufacturers.,  but my point being hte  number of people using a method [qp's] will skew the number of winners using the method.

realistically, just ask an agent how much is spent on self picks compared to QP's? agent will prob notice the self picks more as they tend to be a bigger nuisance

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2012, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I have been using Quick Picks for years to little success.  Have won $100 or 4 numbers in the first five and no powerball.  I'm not bitter about it.  Just waiting my turn for a winner.  Come on baby!  Daddy needs a new pair a shoes!-weshar75

Yeah I hit 4 white balls as well in "98", guess that was a dress rehearsal for me. Still it can be annoying to know that had you just that 1 more number you'd score $200K. (that was the old Powerball game, of course now 5 white balls guarantees you a cool Million).

Or in my case that one more number (PB) would have netted me $115 Million. It's all relative.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3315 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2012, 1:42 am - IP Logged

heres what i said earlier, http://www.random.org/sequences/?min=1&max=59&col=5&format=html&rnd=new

it randomly puts all numbers 1-59 in 5 number groups, just hit again if you dont like the look.

its about as complicated as i get now picking my numbers and i only do it cuz i dont trust the lottery comissions  random number generator. oh and i get all numbers covered.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        4062 Posts
                        Posted: February 13, 2012, 3:08 am - IP Logged

I am a lottery noob I think lol. I have only played I would guess 10 drawings total between MM and PB since mid November. I am curious as to what most people do in regards to picking numbers for themselves or just doing the auto pick.

Should I start playing the same numbers over and over and see if that works or should I change each drawing? In the drawings I have taken part in I have picked my own numbers and changed them every time to basically zero success.

Cavsfan

Qucik picks offer an easy way to play and overall they account for
                        around 70% of the JP's. They also account for around 70% of sales.
                        Picking you own numbers and playing a system are also two different
                        animals.  You really have three options when playing, QP's, PP's and
                        SP's.  System players for the most part believe that they can increase
                        there chances through analysis. Player picks are numbers that may be
                        selected at random or some other method such as birthdays etc...

It's impossible to say which produces the best results because we don't
                        have the information needed to make the calculations.  In the last PB
                        drawing the jackpot was up around 336 million.  If the prizes paid are
                        around half of sales then I would say that around 400,000,000 + tickets
                        were sold. The odds for PB are around 1 in 175 million so by my account
                        it took 280,000,000 quick picks to hit a JP, thats 160% of the total.

It's easy to put a round in the bulls-eye if you have a couple hundred
                        rounds to shoot. System players make up the smallest group of the three
                        and IMHO I think they do much better overall.  I have read several news
                        articals where someone hit a JP the first time they ever played and some
                        would call that luck.  To me luck does not exist and all these types of
                        wins are just chance.  Even system wins could be considered a product of
                        chance and unless a system does better than the odds suggest it may or may
                        not be true.

However one chooses to play the odds are stacked against us, Every set has
                        the exact same odds of being drawn but if one considers the 2nd, 3rd level
                        prizes then one can build a much smarter set than most QP's. This however
                        does not mean that they will hit a JP. 

Hope this helps

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
                          Member #122862
                          February 9, 2012
                          15 Posts
                          Posted: February 13, 2012, 3:28 am - IP Logged

Cavsfan

Qucik picks offer an easy way to play and overall they account for
                          around 70% of the JP's. They also account for around 70% of sales.
                          Picking you own numbers and playing a system are also two different
                          animals.  You really have three options when playing, QP's, PP's and
                          SP's.  System players for the most part believe that they can increase
                          there chances through analysis. Player picks are numbers that may be
                          selected at random or some other method such as birthdays etc...

It's impossible to say which produces the best results because we don't
                          have the information needed to make the calculations.  In the last PB
                          drawing the jackpot was up around 336 million.  If the prizes paid are
                          around half of sales then I would say that around 400,000,000 + tickets
                          were sold. The odds for PB are around 1 in 175 million so by my account
                          it took 280,000,000 quick picks to hit a JP, thats 160% of the total.

It's easy to put a round in the bulls-eye if you have a couple hundred
                          rounds to shoot. System players make up the smallest group of the three
                          and IMHO I think they do much better overall.  I have read several news
                          articals where someone hit a JP the first time they ever played and some
                          would call that luck.  To me luck does not exist and all these types of
                          wins are just chance.  Even system wins could be considered a product of
                          chance and unless a system does better than the odds suggest it may or may
                          not be true.

However one chooses to play the odds are stacked against us, Every set has
                          the exact same odds of being drawn but if one considers the 2nd, 3rd level
                          prizes then one can build a much smarter set than most QP's. This however
                          does not mean that they will hit a JP. 

Hope this helps

RL

How does one go about building there own set of numbers?? Is it picking numbers that hold some meaning to you or something and that is a good starting point??

And yes that was extremely helpful thank you!!!

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            4062 Posts
                            Posted: February 13, 2012, 3:41 am - IP Logged

Cavsfan

I am a system player and use custom software that I developed over the years.

If your interested in system playing then you might want to invest some time in

learning a programming language, somthing like QB64 is what I would recommend.

This way you can make changes as you go along and learn some new skills in the

process.  Lots of good information can be found here at LP and you can pick and test

as you go along.  There are many good tutorials for QB64 to get you started and many

here can help from time to time.   The best way to get faimilar with the game you want

to play is to study the games history.   Start it off simple with odd/even, hi/low kinds

of analysis and just keep building.  Find what works for you and go with it. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                              Member #13130
                              March 30, 2005
                              2171 Posts
                              Posted: February 13, 2012, 5:39 am - IP Logged

I am a lottery noob I think lol. I have only played I would guess 10 drawings total between MM and PB since mid November. I am curious as to what most people do in regards to picking numbers for themselves or just doing the auto pick.

Should I start playing the same numbers over and over and see if that works or should I change each drawing? In the drawings I have taken part in I have picked my own numbers and changed them every time to basically zero success.

There's another option -- Sometimes I mark 2 or 3 numbers and let the machine pick the remainder.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.