Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Buying every combination for Powerball...Is it legal?

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NH
United States
Member #83352
December 5, 2009
223 Posts
Posted: February 13, 2012, 3:59 pm - IP Logged

There is a huge difference between 7 million and 175 million.  There's also no guarantee that, even if it were possible to buy 175 million different combinations, there wouldn't be multiple winners.

Yes...It would take some serious guts to attempt something like this because of the mulitple winners part of the equation.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7297 Posts
    Posted: February 13, 2012, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

With over 175,223,510 possible combinations for Powerball @ $2/ticket you'd have to cough up $350,447,020. And whatever you win you'd likely be in the 35% tax bracket.

The logistics of accomplishing this feat would be staggering, I will not go into the tedious details; however even if you were the sole winner, after taxes you'd still be in the hole millions. Also if just one other person gets the same number that cuts jackpot in two.

Having said that, I do remember a story back in the 80's when a group of investment bankers pulled it off. Forget which lottery it was.

"The logistics of accomplishing this feat would be staggering,"

There are only five lines on most playslips so it would take 35 million. The time it would take to accurately fill them out is irrelevant even if one could get that many playslips because there isn't enough time to play them all without tying up hundreds of lottery terminals.

"Having said that, I do remember a story back in the 80's when a group of investment bankers pulled it off. Forget which lottery it was."

That was done in the Virginia Lotto game by a Australian syndicate and the rules were later changed to prevent anyone tying up a lottery terminal for a long length of time. Several other state lotteries instituted similar rules so it might not be possible to now play 1000 playslips.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: February 13, 2012, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

"The logistics of accomplishing this feat would be staggering,"

There are only five lines on most playslips so it would take 35 million. The time it would take to accurately fill them out is irrelevant even if one could get that many playslips because there isn't enough time to play them all without tying up hundreds of lottery terminals.

"Having said that, I do remember a story back in the 80's when a group of investment bankers pulled it off. Forget which lottery it was."

That was done in the Virginia Lotto game by a Australian syndicate and the rules were later changed to prevent anyone tying up a lottery terminal for a long length of time. Several other state lotteries instituted similar rules so it might not be possible to now play 1000 playslips.

I think some states require that the playslips are filled out by hand also.

35 million playslips by hand? Hmmm...

I think my hand would be too tired after I had filled out only 20 million or so.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

London
        United Kingdom
        Member #122713
        February 6, 2012
        21 Posts
        Posted: February 13, 2012, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

It would not be worth it to invest 350M to (best case scenario) break even really because in actuality that's what it is. The after tax cash value if what you're playing for if you have 350M laying about. If the jackpot was at 500M, the after tax value would be about 200M (maybe less), assuming that they add your 350M to the prize pool (which they probably will not), how much of that goes to the jackpot? say an utopian 125M (they will keep 150M for themselves) so the new jackpot would be 325M after tax cash value, and that's if you're the sole winner. So no it's not even worth it. The advertised jackpot should be well over $1Billion to be a mathematically sound move. My opinion.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
          Member #4877
          May 30, 2004
          5115 Posts
          Posted: February 14, 2012, 8:15 am - IP Logged

It would not be worth it to invest 350M to (best case scenario) break even really because in actuality that's what it is. The after tax cash value if what you're playing for if you have 350M laying about. If the jackpot was at 500M, the after tax value would be about 200M (maybe less), assuming that they add your 350M to the prize pool (which they probably will not), how much of that goes to the jackpot? say an utopian 125M (they will keep 150M for themselves) so the new jackpot would be 325M after tax cash value, and that's if you're the sole winner. So no it's not even worth it. The advertised jackpot should be well over $1Billion to be a mathematically sound move. My opinion.

I Agree!

UR on D rite TRACK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANK's 4 help'g^^^^^^^^^D pur educated

OUT on dis rite SUBJECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANK U>>>>>^^^^^^^^^g@@d answer!!

WE got 2 double DOWN on out BUDGET & QUIT being so RECKLE$$$$$$$$$$<<<<<< with our SPENDING!!

Jack-in-the-Box

United States
            Member #123134
            February 14, 2012
            55 Posts
            Posted: February 14, 2012, 9:36 am - IP Logged

I really don't know but no one has that huge amount of money and they could try to invest $1,000,000 the most and still lose. I also don't think the powerball will reach past $325 million because everytime it's at that price, someone wins. I guess history tends to repeat itself.

Coverage for the last Powerball roll was only 40%.  I think that we'll see a $400+ million Powerball jackpot in the next year and, if it hits that level, it's a coin flip away from $500+ million.

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11976 Posts
              Posted: February 14, 2012, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

Now that we've seen Powerball and their new $2 wage get up to over 300 million faster than any other time in the history of American lotteries, its only a matter of time before we see a 400 million or dare I say 1/2 Billion jackpot?...With that said, wouldn't Jackpots that big just bring out groups of people with very large bank accounts who have the ability to buy every combination and win the Jackpot?  If its not illegal to buy every combo, couldn't someone from say Wall street already be putting things in place in every state that sells Powerball so when it gets to a certain amount, their runners get to work? 42 States sell Powerball.

Was it legal for three assets managers from Connecticut  to win a $254 millions powerball jackpot after joining the pool of possible winners with 1 LOTTERY QUICK PICK?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: February 14, 2012, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Was it legal for three assets managers from Connecticut  to win a $254 millions powerball jackpot after joining the pool of possible winners with 1 LOTTERY QUICK PICK?

Yes and thank goodness they were rich people.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: February 15, 2012, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Yes and thank goodness they were rich people.

And very WHITE!  Blush

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: February 15, 2012, 10:43 am - IP Logged

I think some states require that the playslips are filled out by hand also.

35 million playslips by hand? Hmmm...

I think my hand would be too tired after I had filled out only 20 million or so.

Yeah, I start getting carpel tunnel syndrome only after about 20 playslips.  Crying

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11976 Posts
                      Posted: February 15, 2012, 3:07 pm - IP Logged

And very WHITE!  Blush

"Look at his deep blue eyes.He is not like you and me.Do not trust him.He is from above.He is a spaceman."

The creation of colors.  Black + Black=Brown, Brown + Brown=Yellow, Yellow + Yellow=White.

Should we say messing around with Genetics.