Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 1:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New York Instant Scratch Off's fixed?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 5 years ago by RedStang.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ny, ny
United States
Member #123103
February 13, 2012
20 Posts
Posted: February 14, 2012, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

In the year 2011 only ONE jackpot winning instant ticket was won in Manhattan. I know that instant tickets are not randomly placed, however, what would be the reason for not placing more jackpot winners in Manhattan. Long ISland leads the way with more than 80% of the winning tickets being placed in their area. Does anyone have an inside scoop to this rule. I'm guessing to only purchase tickets in Long Island or the Queens boarder near Long Island.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 14, 2012, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

In the year 2011 only ONE jackpot winning instant ticket was won in Manhattan. I know that instant tickets are not randomly placed, however, what would be the reason for not placing more jackpot winners in Manhattan. Long ISland leads the way with more than 80% of the winning tickets being placed in their area. Does anyone have an inside scoop to this rule. I'm guessing to only purchase tickets in Long Island or the Queens boarder near Long Island.

Wow....that's interesting. How long have you been tracking this?

You may want to contact the NY Lottery commission in regards to this?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #121961
      January 21, 2012
      3159 Posts
      Posted: February 15, 2012, 1:00 am - IP Logged

Don't forget Yonkers  because someone just hit the 10 mill win for life spectacular.

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
        Kunming
        China
        Member #57910
        January 23, 2008
        3626 Posts
        Posted: February 15, 2012, 1:16 am - IP Logged

If you think it's 'fixed' then don't play. It's as simple as that. I never like games where you don't get to pick your own numbers.

Play to win!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3502 Posts
          Posted: February 15, 2012, 2:48 am - IP Logged

The lottery is as random asa they can make it, including where winning tickets go. Randomly distributing tickets doesn't mean that they're distributed uniformly. If 5 million tickets go to Long Island and 5 million go to Manhattan it doesn't mean that both areas will have the same number of jackpot winners.  Random probability will result in a fairly uniform distrirbution of small prizes because there are lots of small prizes. The very small number of jackpots means that selling just one or two in an area is enough to make smuch different than what a uniform distribution would produce.

It's a bit like the difference between rolling a regular die and rolling a die with 1 million sides. Roll them each 6 million times and you'll see about 1 million instances of all 6 numbers from the first, but getting 6 each of all 1 million possible results on the second die is a statistical impossibility.

There's also the matter of how many tickets are really being sold in each area. It's probably not very close to being even. It's also possible that you're not always seeing where the tickets were sold. If somebody from Suffolk works in Manhattan and buys a ticket there you may just see a result showing a winner in Suffolk.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
            Dump Water Florida
            United States
            Member #380
            June 5, 2002
            3114 Posts
            Posted: February 15, 2012, 7:00 am - IP Logged

In Florida they came out with dollar scrachers $500 a week for life (twenty years) and two dollar scrachers $1000 a week for life.  I was interested until I checked the lottery website and found there are only 4 and 6 prizes state wide respectively.  The odds are there can't even be one prize in each county, so what's the odds there will be a winning ticket in my favorite store?  The lower tier prizes are few and small, game's a waste to play.

BobP

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: February 15, 2012, 7:45 am - IP Logged

In Florida they came out with dollar scrachers $500 a week for life (twenty years) and two dollar scrachers $1000 a week for life.  I was interested until I checked the lottery website and found there are only 4 and 6 prizes state wide respectively.  The odds are there can't even be one prize in each county, so what's the odds there will be a winning ticket in my favorite store?  The lower tier prizes are few and small, game's a waste to play.

BobP

I never play $1, $2 or $3 scratchers. Pretty much just chump change........with very crappy odd's.   No Nod

Just in the last week Iv'e been playing a $10 scratcher called 20X, scored $200, and a $5 scratcher called Electric 5's and made off with a "C" note.

I seem to have the luck of the Irish,  Lep   in that my winnings on the scratcher's pretty much bankroll's all my other Pick 4, MM's, PB, Hot Lotto games.

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #123230
                February 16, 2012
                22 Posts
                Posted: February 16, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

I know how you feel, I play NJ scratch offs $5 ,$10 ones and Iveyet to win $1 on any of them.. So i dont play them any more. Tired of lossing ,,,

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3857 Posts
                  Posted: February 16, 2012, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

I know how you feel, I play NJ scratch offs $5 ,$10 ones and Iveyet to win $1 on any of them.. So i dont play them any more. Tired of lossing ,,,

very rarely play scratchers,

sometimes w/ tip$

scratch in store

when i do get a small win

i just say give me another,the $ never leaves the store.

next time i'll use the small win for more jc5 or a PBw/ pp

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United Kingdom
                    Member #122950
                    February 10, 2012
                    85 Posts
                    Posted: February 16, 2012, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

I personally don't like scratchcards. At least with lottery the more tickets you buy, the odds gets better proportionately. In scratchcards, I don't even know if the jackpot is out or not.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
                      NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      12118 Posts
                      Posted: February 18, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

They say the best way to lose money on lottery games is by saving all your money and spending all of it on one shot once a month.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                        NY
                        United States
                        Member #121961
                        January 21, 2012
                        3159 Posts
                        Posted: February 18, 2012, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

Hit 50$ 3 times on the 10$ win for life. Gave it all back after that. Don't like how the million is paid over 20years.