Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why I don't buy scratch lotteries

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 5 years ago by cooldude.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Sydney
Australia
Member #120420
December 19, 2011
8 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2012, 3:18 pm - IP Logged

It always bothers me that you don't know when the major prize has been won.

If the information was published, the sale of tickets would plummet to zero so that will never happen.  I just don't like the idea that you could be blowing your money trying to win a non existent prize. Of course that prize could go off early or late or somewhere in between but the fact of not knowing this vital bit of info is why I don't play scratch.

Any opinions?

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
    upstate NY
    United States
    Member #108791
    March 31, 2011
    549 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2012, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

I don't know how they do it elsewhere, but in New York they recall any unsold tickets when all of the top prizes have been awarded.  They also publish a weekly report of the number of unclaimed top prizes for all their scratch-off games.

mt zion illinois
      United States
      Member #110549
      May 6, 2011
      351 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2012, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

Illinois has report on their website that they update about once week on top tier prizes remaining .......

Biggest lottery wins for 2013 $100 1 Time.......

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3157 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2012, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I never trust any reports the states put out. If they put one top prize left, then that would turn everyone away from that game.

Sydney
          Australia
          Member #120420
          December 19, 2011
          8 Posts
          Posted: February 20, 2012, 4:19 am - IP Logged

I don't know how they do it elsewhere, but in New York they recall any unsold tickets when all of the top prizes have been awarded.  They also publish a weekly report of the number of unclaimed top prizes for all their scratch-off games.

That sounds totally fair and reasonable but as far as I know they don't do that here down under.  I'll make it my busines to check on that.

Sydney
            Australia
            Member #120420
            December 19, 2011
            8 Posts
            Posted: February 20, 2012, 5:06 am - IP Logged

Well I just checked the Scratch-it lotteries rules run by the state of New South Wales.  Yep - I was right.  They just sell the tickets until they are all sold and they have no obligation to disclose if the major prizes have been won.  They do show recent winners on their website but this is not publicised. First time Ive seen it bc I went looking for the info.

In the case of the games in various states where the remaining tickets are withdrawn after the big prize, I'm wondering how the government can be sure to make a profit.  Let's say the big prize goes off early.  They wouldn't have sold enough tickets to make it pay. Doesn't seem logical.

Here is the extract from the rules -

"(e)     During the period in which the Licensee: The licensee is the State of (New South Wales)

(i)          offers for sale Tickets in an Instant Lottery; or

(ii)         accepts entries in a Promotional Instant Lottery;

some or all of the Prizes in the approved Prize structure may already have been
            won when a Player:

(iii)        purchases a Ticket in an Instant Lottery; or

(iv)        enters a Promotional Instant Lottery;

leaving the balance of Prizes still available to be won by Players, or no Prizes, as
            the case may be, at the time of their respective purchase or entry.

(f)      There shall be no obligation or liability imposed upon the Licensee whatsoever to
            advise   or   otherwise   inform   prospective   Players   in   an   Instant   Lottery   or
            Promotional Instant Lottery of the number or nature of Prizes still available, or if
            any  Prizes  are  still  available,  to  be  won  by  them  at  the  time  of  their  proposed
            purchase  of  a  Ticket  in  an  Instant  Lottery  or  entry  in  a  Promotional  Instant
            Lottery, as the case may be."

Oh well - confirms my decision not to play.

Mass
              United States
              Member #68073
              December 12, 2008
              217 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2012, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

I never trust any reports the states put out. If they put one top prize left, then that would turn everyone away from that game.

I like older games with only one or two top prizes left. They way I see it is that the gane will be ending soon and that last juicy ticket is ripe for the pickin'.

LA CA
                United States
                Member #118691
                November 6, 2011
                416 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2012, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

Wow I am surprised with some replies. I am from CA and CA lotto site is updated everyday early morning with number of prizes left for scratchers. In fact I keep a track of last 7 days just to check how many folks are buying any lottery.

I seem to agree with the previous poster and I also go dig for the ending ones when there are a few big prizes left.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: February 21, 2012, 9:18 am - IP Logged

I know in Texas they send me an email when games are closing staing if all Top prizes have been claimed or if 1 remians. Also you can email them a request on all top prizes of $1 million or more and they will send you the locations of where they were sold.

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #123230
                    February 16, 2012
                    22 Posts
                    Posted: February 25, 2012, 12:12 am - IP Logged

Yeah in NJ I just go to njlottery and you can see how many winners and which ones are still out there. I usually check the site and find a ticket that I like then hit the store..

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                      Nashville, TN
                      United States
                      Member #86739
                      February 9, 2010
                      483 Posts
                      Posted: February 25, 2012, 9:59 am - IP Logged

I cant stand states like SC where all tickets state  directly on the ticket "scratchoffs may continue to be sold even after top prize has been claimed"

This just seems criminal to me, but at least they are disclosing it.

I steer clear of them. In fact, I prefer newer games that are 'loaded' ( I use that term very very very loosely) with prizes. I figure it's hard enough to win a prize, might as well get a game with more to win. Also I love that the TN Lottery has a second chance drawing when games end.

mt zion illinois
                        United States
                        Member #110549
                        May 6, 2011
                        351 Posts
                        Posted: February 25, 2012, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I cant stand states like SC where all tickets state  directly on the ticket "scratchoffs may continue to be sold even after top prize has been claimed"

This just seems criminal to me, but at least they are disclosing it.

I steer clear of them. In fact, I prefer newer games that are 'loaded' ( I use that term very very very loosely) with prizes. I figure it's hard enough to win a prize, might as well get a game with more to win. Also I love that the TN Lottery has a second chance drawing when games end.

I have to agree with this because Illinois just recently started doing that also ......

Biggest lottery wins for 2013 $100 1 Time.......