Welcome Guest
You last visited August 23, 2017, 12:02 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cashing Tickets!!

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 6 years ago by luteman.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Lottotwister's avatar - drow

United States
Member #539
August 5, 2002
168 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2012, 9:35 am - IP Logged

Is it just me or is anybody else having trouble cashing your cash 3 tickets in ga? The store that I buy them at always has an excuse they just put the money in drop or we dont have enough on hand or blah blah blah!!!! But it's not just one store it seems they all do this around my area. I know they have the money because they are selling the pudding out of these tickets. So whats the deal anybody know? anybody else having trouble? Do I need to confront ga lottery headquarters? If their not gonna honor my ticket I'll just buy them somewhere else.

Lottotwister

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2012, 11:54 am - IP Logged

They probably don't get a percentage on cashing them or the clerks just don't want the hassle.

Report 'em to the Muckety-mucks and don't buy there anymore.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7548 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2012, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

It's difficult to cash a $500 winner at a gas station/convenient store in every state. The lottery will tell you to ask for a money order, but the clerk probably won't do that either. If you really want to tick off a clerk, hand them your signed ticket, pretend you don't know the value, and they will have to find a way to pay you because the ticket was validated.

The best solution is to take you ticket to a large grocery store that cashes checks.

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
        OHIO
        United States
        Member #5328
        June 30, 2004
        1284 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2012, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

I buy my tickets at my local gas station, but never cash them in there..always at a large grocery store chain eg Kroger..there I never have a problem..

have a great winning day!

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
          Dallas, Texas
          United States
          Member #4549
          May 2, 2004
          1875 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2012, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

Is it just me or is anybody else having trouble cashing your cash 3 tickets in ga? The store that I buy them at always has an excuse they just put the money in drop or we dont have enough on hand or blah blah blah!!!! But it's not just one store it seems they all do this around my area. I know they have the money because they are selling the pudding out of these tickets. So whats the deal anybody know? anybody else having trouble? Do I need to confront ga lottery headquarters? If their not gonna honor my ticket I'll just buy them somewhere else.

Lottotwister

Had that happen once years ago. It was a mom and pop store. I rarely went in there anyway, but the guy was rude enough I never went back. Seems to happen mostly at the mom pop places though.

Sometimes you have to think from the other side of the counter. Your best weapon is common courtesy.

Think about it, you are by yourself, the lunch crowd or the after work gang are all stopping. You got 6 people in line wanting to give you money, and the next guy hands you a pile of $1 scratch-offs to validate. Could ruin your day. And people behind him let out a collective sigh/groan and grimace. Yes, he may have bought every ticket right there and have the right to cash them in when he chooses, but if it happens a lot the clerk learns to not have the cash on hand.

The point it, sometimes it is not that one ticket, it's that guy last hour that had 47.

It's good to know the clerks too. And for them to know you. If I feel like I'm going to hold up the line, I'll step aside. It lets the clerk know you are aware of his/her position. They appreciate that. Or try to go in at a quiet time of the day.

A complaint to lottery headquarters isn't going to solve anything in the long run. You complain, they send a letter or call the owner. The owner says we didn't have the money on hand. Then he snickers and adds, "You can't please everybody."

Some stores here have instituted a policy if it is going to take the clerk awy from his/her primary duty (collecting money), it can wait.

Easier all the way around to go somewhere else.  Wink

Lottotwister's avatar - drow

United States
            Member #539
            August 5, 2002
            168 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2012, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies, I'll just go over to the next county and buy my tickets. It seems like a whole differnt world there anyhow much nicer people. The town I live in are all jerks!!!

Lottotwister

United Kingdom
              Member #122950
              February 10, 2012
              85 Posts
              Posted: February 20, 2012, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

No problem like this in UK.

Go to store, show your tickets and more often than not they congratulate you for a prize.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: February 20, 2012, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the replies, I'll just go over to the next county and buy my tickets. It seems like a whole differnt world there anyhow much nicer people. The town I live in are all jerks!!!

Lottotwister

Sounds like you might be in the Chicago area.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

THECAVES06's avatar - scene sunoverlake.jpg

United States
                  Member #97477
                  September 17, 2010
                  290 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2012, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

Lottotwister

Lottotwister I play in GA and I will tell you what I was told............the GA Lottery stop giving a commision on winning tickets. They also stop giving them a commision on selling a winning cash 3 ticket.  The GA Lottery also has changed the "pay" time frame on winning tickets so these stores really dont have the same incentive to cash them in and get this the GA Lottery only pays them 0.03 for each ticket they run. I play at the same store everyday and before the changes I could cash in 4 to 5 tickets at a time but now even at the store I play at everyday they only want to cash in 1-ticket and won't cash tickets of "non-regulars", and this is liquor store so you know they have the money.................So I  take my tickets to Kroger !

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3329 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2012, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

we put the con in convenience. seems to be the modern motto.

" Still swinging, still missing "
                    2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596: JAN= -

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318: JAN= -39

westchester
                      United States
                      Member #92116
                      May 31, 2010
                      60 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2012, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

For $500 I always go to a grocery store like Jewel or Dominicks. They always have the money to cash it.