Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you win the big one...

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by garyo1954.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

If you win the big one what's your first major purchase?

New home/condo [ 9 ]  [31.03%]
New car/truck [ 6 ]  [20.69%]
Investment/business,stock etc.. [ 3 ]  [10.34%]
Vacation [ 4 ]  [13.79%]
It's already spent on bills [ 3 ]  [10.34%]
None of the above, I'll explain [ 4 ]  [13.79%]
Total Valid Votes [ 29 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
Taunton, Ma
United States
Member #123005
February 11, 2012
136 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2012, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

So , I thought this would be fun. Obviously the "big one" is a different amount for different people but let's just put it at a cool mil. Personally, my first priority is getting my family out of this wretched apartment and into a house. What about you?

Scratchies for the win!

We are in a two-party dictatorship. You want change ? Vote third partyThumbs Up

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11983 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2012, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

So , I thought this would be fun. Obviously the "big one" is a different amount for different people but let's just put it at a cool mil. Personally, my first priority is getting my family out of this wretched apartment and into a house. What about you?

I will put the money in short-term and long-term income producing investments. I will then buy a house or condominium with some of the interest earned from the investments.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
      NYC
      United States
      Member #117984
      October 19, 2011
      1843 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2012, 1:52 pm - IP Logged

My vote went to new home too.

I guess it's only right to move into a new home, to make my family happy and comfortable first.

After this is done, I'll hire financial advisors and investment pro's to help me built my empire of wealth.

Jester

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        347 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2012, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

It is hard to say which of the following would come first, as I'd at least start making decisions on all of them within the first couple of months:  (listed in order of likely $ spent/saved/given, assuming any win over $5 million.  Order might change is less than that.)  Investments, gifts to family, charity, new home, new car, furniture, face lift (woohoo!)

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11983 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2012, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

It is hard to say which of the following would come first, as I'd at least start making decisions on all of them within the first couple of months:  (listed in order of likely $ spent/saved/given, assuming any win over $5 million.  Order might change is less than that.)  Investments, gifts to family, charity, new home, new car, furniture, face lift (woohoo!)

When you win a lottery jackpot, you are basically chosen to distribute taxes to the state where you won the jackpot.

United States
            Member #116908
            September 22, 2011
            457 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2012, 4:10 pm - IP Logged

If I won the Big Money,,,,I would hire the biggest $ badest Lawyers , Accountants with real credentials of course,,,,,,I wouldn't buy a damb thing ,,,,I would play every poker tournament in the world,,,,jetset,,,,,live out of hotels ,,,live it up,,,,,it would be on,,,,,,,,,,& with the jackpots now a days ,,,,your all invited  ,,,,,,,,,,GGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDD   LLLLUUUUUUCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Up

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #123230
              February 16, 2012
              22 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2012, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

God I love to dream of what I would do the day I found out I won a multi multi million dollar lotto. I would def buy a nice jacked up Ford F150 king cab with all the bells and whistles, for the running around to prepare for the new lifestyle. Put money in some kind of account and see how much interest I made daily.So you know what you can spend without dipping into base money. Vacation in couple spots to see where i want to live.But I tell you what it would make me feel so good to take out like 20 grand in cash and drive around and give it to people who desperatly need it. thousand here there,

P.S I was bassing my dream off a powerball or mega hit like 300 mill or something. If a mill it would be much different obviously...

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2012, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

When you win a lottery jackpot, you are basically chosen to distribute taxes to the state where you won the jackpot.

There is no income tax in Washington state.  And I make all my lottery ticket purchases here. I'd have to pay federal tax, of course, but most of that would be deducted before I even got it.  With the amount of charitable deductions I'd likely have on a big win, I probably wouldn't have too much more to send the feds at the end of the year, either.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2012, 4:43 am - IP Logged

A nice car/truck so that I can drive around in it to the homes I'll be driving to to check out.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3301 Posts
                    Posted: February 20, 2012, 7:06 am - IP Logged

$1M doesnt include an annual membership to this place http://www.clubsportiva.com/

but if my win  resulted in $1M a year in dividends, interest etc, then yeah prob a sporting car club membership might be on my  to buy list.

sheesh i recal saying a nice camper van and metal detector, to go bush and pan for gold. camp out. bathe in rivers or streams, sleep under the stars.... all the while knowing that every day i spend out ther not finding gold, or making a buck, theres investments back in the city piling up for when i get back.

sitting back , realaxing no people , no cares, maybe a dog to keep me company.I could prob do that for a year, and my face wouldnt stop aching the whole while from the giant grin that would be stuck on it.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

loonasee2's avatar - ty789 zpsxdhaaskf.jpg
                      Orangutan Forest
                      United States
                      Member #95128
                      August 4, 2010
                      12818 Posts
                      Posted: February 20, 2012, 7:44 am - IP Logged

If I won "The Big One",.......Give all five of my brothers and sister one million dollars.On one condition ,never ask for more.Next I'd buy the biggest , baddest tour bus ,then sell my house.And never have a permanent address.

And where it's warm I'm there.This always has been my dream ,to be filthy rich and have a house with wheels.lol

cashbuckets of cash

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                        East of Columbus, OH
                        United States
                        Member #120843
                        December 28, 2011
                        451 Posts
                        Posted: February 20, 2012, 7:48 am - IP Logged

A cool million pays off the house, the wife's Ridgeline, and a couple other bills.  Because it's only a million, I'm going to settle on buying a Corvette, probably a used Z06.

If the JP is over 10 million, I will get my Ferrari 458 Italia and the wife gets her Bentley.  No plans for a new house either way as we just bought a new house last fall and the location is perfect for me, secluded and quiet.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: February 20, 2012, 10:51 am - IP Logged

$1 Million after taxes in Oklahoma would be around $720,000. DH & I would pay off house, by new car & invest/save for our two teenage boys college education....

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                            TX
                            United States
                            Member #121193
                            January 4, 2012
                            1637 Posts
                            Posted: February 20, 2012, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Provided that it was a jackpot win with an after tax value of 20 million ??? Set up the main investment to live off,set aside a certain amount to develope a non profit charity for people who can't pay their medical bills via "Secret Santa", keep a few hundred thousand to do some "silly" spending on a new vehicle and jewelry for the Mrs., give some $$$ to relatives & friends, then probably relocate to another part of the state, buy a condo, take some vacations to a state(s) where I want a vacation home(s),just do the things I want to do on my time schedule, live happily ever after......The end......   Patriot

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #58739
                              February 24, 2008
                              59 Posts
                              Posted: February 20, 2012, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

I would choose to buy a house first. Then set up investments that would keep my money safe and also yield more money (nothing high risk). Then I would share with family and friends, mainly to just free them of thier debts so they can start anew debt free. I'll give them a little extra to take some time off of work but not too much, gotta keep them honest :p. I would probably continue to work, two to three days a week for awhile just to keep some benefits and continue funding my 401k. In my time off I would just chill out and be free of the mental burden of having to work in order to survive, now it would just be working to have something to do and have that reality check.

Luck is the residue of design.