Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

"Your Methodology Of Purchasing Instant Scratch Tickets"

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 5 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: February 19, 2012, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

Most of us are all creatures of habit, superstitions, and quirky schemes for how we play our lotto games.  Unhappy   Crazy    LOL

When it comes to selecting your "SCRATCHERS", do you have any particular rhyme or reason of how you chose the tickets you buy?  Hiding Behind Computer

Doe's it depend on a "gut" feel of how or when you decide to to reel these scratch fish in?   Roll Eyes

Also do your method's vary, depending on the ticket value or word of mouth from other players. ($1, $2, $3, $5, $10, $20$, $50)?   Disapprove

What about the all important SEQUENCE #'s of the tickets as they come off the roll.  They can vary depending on the price of the scratchers from 1-200, to 1-25. Do you prefer certain low/high/lucky #'s based on your previous experience?    Lep

Do you believe you have a better chance of scoring by buying several tickets consecutively at a time from one roll, or buying an entire roll verses a few random tickets from different games to mix it up.?

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: February 19, 2012, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

I personally have found better success by purchasing two tickets back to back every time. I tend to get the $10-20 scratchers which usually have the best odds of anywhere from 1:4.2 - 1:2.99

By getting two tickets, I feel my chances are always better, because had I bought just one ticket; the ticket just before or after could have been a winner. On average every other time I buy like this, I have a winning ticket. Pretty good overall odds I think.

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
      Taunton, Ma
      United States
      Member #123005
      February 11, 2012
      136 Posts
      Posted: February 19, 2012, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

I only buy tickets that are eligible for second chance drawings, thereby increasing my overall odds of winning something. My favorites are the $2 patriots and $5 wheel of fortune. Also, If I see the code srx on any ticket, I buy the next one as Ive discovered the odds of the next one being a winner are much better than after any other code.

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #123230
        February 16, 2012
        22 Posts
        Posted: February 19, 2012, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

Yeah I usually check my lotto website to see what games have alot of winners still out there. I usually buy 2 tickets at once. Cause one time I went in bought one $10 ticket. Went back next day the gujy behind the counter said guy came in right after me bought same game and won $5000. That hurt really bad . So I always buy 2 now.

United Kingdom
          Member #122950
          February 10, 2012
          85 Posts
          Posted: February 19, 2012, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't really buy consecutive scratchcards. It is more likely that if you won on the first ticket, there is no point having the next one as it is unlikely to have a winning prize. Scratchcards are distributed knowingly by people so winnings are more likely spaced out. (I used to buy multiple scratchcards at a time to determine this and it seemed to be true.)

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10350 Posts
            Posted: February 19, 2012, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Do you really have much choice when buying scratchers? By that I mean if you're buying them at the counter you can't ask for the fifth ticket in the roll, and from a machine you're going to get the next one on the roll also.

My wife constantly buys $1 and $2 tickets and as a store manager said, "You play dollars, you win dollars". I think a person would be better off buying a $5 or $10 scratchers and taking a couple of days to scratch them.

One thing I have noticed, for Illinois anway, is that the really good looking tickets, the very colorful ones, are usually pretty tight and just don't pay.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: February 19, 2012, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I rarely buy scratchers but when I do I have the best luck with $2 tickets. I won $100 on one not long ago. I always buy 2 at a time just to screw up the vultures who are waiting for somebody to buy the next one cuz they think it's gonna be a loser. 

And if the clerk hands me one that's already torn off the roll, I tell him I don't want it cuz that's one that he was probably trying to skip. 

I ain't never won nothin' but a free ticket or maybe $2 on a dollar ticket.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                Illinois
                United States
                Member #82001
                November 3, 2009
                890 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2012, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

I like to buy the first ticket off the roll. The end of the roll not so much. I usually ignore the older games. Like the newer ones better

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
                  Phoenix, AZ
                  United States
                  Member #120254
                  December 14, 2011
                  91 Posts
                  Posted: February 20, 2012, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy two at a time, back to back of the same ticket. All the times I've won decent amounts like $20, $40, $50, & $100 were because I bought two. One was a loser or a small amount (money back usually) and the next would be the winner. I've taken a break from stratch offs for now but my spending limit is usually $10-15 at a time. I find that if I buy a bunch of different tickets, I don't win a lot. The last time I bought tix I spent $20 on four different $5 tickets. None of them won. I do wait for hunches to play a certain ticket- Once I got a hunch to play the $5 Wheel of Fortune which I never play and when I did I won $50. Same for the $5 Cosmic Crossword- won $100 on a hunch purchase :) I don't think I'm going to buy anymore unless I get a certain feeling. Goingh to focus on PB and MM for now.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: February 21, 2012, 10:28 am - IP Logged

I take different things into account. I usually go to the lottery website in my state to look at what is still left to win on scratch tickets.  For quite awhile I was buying two of the same tickets back to back thinking I might have a chance to win on one of them.  The only problem with buying tickets that way was I was spending more money and about 2 months ago told myself I needed to save money and tried cutting back to one a week.  The only scratchers I didn't buy were the 1 dollar ones. The last few months I've been focusing on the 5 dollar scratchers. Will occasionally buy a 10 or 20 dollar ticket.  Some scratchers have been better for me than others. The ones that I never win anything on I usually stop playing those and focus on the ones where I've had more luck.  In terms of the number on the tickets I prefer ones to be between 000 to 49.