Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is paying for online lottery syndicate or pool legal in the US?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 5 years ago by uklotteryplayer.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United Kingdom
Member #122950
February 10, 2012
85 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2012, 1:40 am - IP Logged

I already have some ads with bing, yahoo and facebook but this is not something that can be advertised here.

Todd have mentioned aol but they charge an upfront fee of £100 and minimum of £.25 per click (they are quite expensive.)

Google adwords is better but a no go for me as they have different policy for lottery pools.

In UK it is not a problem but I don't know about here in the US. I don't want to be paying advertisement with the FBI on my tail.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
    Dump Water Florida
    United States
    Member #380
    June 5, 2002
    3114 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:31 am - IP Logged

I already have some ads with bing, yahoo and facebook but this is not something that can be advertised here.

Todd have mentioned aol but they charge an upfront fee of £100 and minimum of £.25 per click (they are quite expensive.)

Google adwords is better but a no go for me as they have different policy for lottery pools.

In UK it is not a problem but I don't know about here in the US. I don't want to be paying advertisement with the FBI on my tail.

I am not a lawyur and can not give legal advice.  Like most Americans my legal knowledge is a random assortment of things I've read over time.

From what I understand it isn't so much illegal for U.S. citizens to buy these things as it is illegal for banks to forward the money.  If you try to use paypal neteller click2pay and they figure out what you are doing they will shut down the account.   Neteller and click2pay already reject U.S. accounts.   Ozlotteries refuses to sell tickets to U.S. citizens online due to these laws.

It is considered ticket scalping to sell lottery tickets, shares of, or prorated portions thereof for more then the face value of the ticket.   It is ok to charge a service fee independent of the ticket price if done properly.

Some people fly under the radar and get away with things for years.  Promotion gets you noticed. 

BobP

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23352 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:53 am - IP Logged

All major advertising networks let you target traffic in specific countries, so if you are worried about the US (or any other country), you can simply exclude it.

Also, if you are trying to start a business and you're not prepared to spend £100 up-front to start to market it, I think you have to question your commitment to the business.  How could someone trust that your business will handle the ups-and-downs if £100 is going to break the bank for you?

A fair question you should ask yourself.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United Kingdom
        Member #122950
        February 10, 2012
        85 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2012, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

All major advertising networks let you target traffic in specific countries, so if you are worried about the US (or any other country), you can simply exclude it.

Also, if you are trying to start a business and you're not prepared to spend £100 up-front to start to market it, I think you have to question your commitment to the business.  How could someone trust that your business will handle the ups-and-downs if £100 is going to break the bank for you?

It is not that �100 will break the bank for me. When I started my syndicate, the first member immediately gave �25 and I have to spend extra �175 to give the tickets promised.
        I just have to use my budget wisely as I don't want to pass the cost of the promotion and administration  to my members. Otherwise, I would be no different to other lottery syndicates which drove me to create this syndicate in the first place.

Although I registered myself as a business, I am not for profit (unless we win a jackpot) and the company is for the protection of my assets.

I guess I was hoping that people would realize that there are genuine syndicates that are just looking to play the lottery and maximize the chances of winning. Perhaps good intention is not much of value nowadays. I just wish I could have come sooner before this vwd ruined the reputation of syndicates.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
          Texas
          United States
          Member #86154
          January 30, 2010
          1654 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

Well spoken, Todd. It takes money to make money whether it's getting started or just regular maintenence. I discovered the hard way where the same thing applies to playing these small "Pick" games as well. It's definitely gonna cost to win regularly without having to lose over and over and over...

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3316 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

well if you are honestly trying to  start a non profit lottery syndicate. you may well see why people turn to running them for profit.  ive seen few online syndicates , ran informally, and costs covered by members , they never advertise as its seen as taking money away from tickets. just ran as a small forum / chat group.

they never get big as they cannot draw enough interest and personal trust is what holds them together.

duno what you hope to  achieve, it seems like a lot of effort, to buy other peoples tickets.

and yeah you can see why no one runs em for Americans to buy.

and yo bobp,

hell i didnt know oz lotteries  stopped taking American money how about tatts, they used to allow Americans to register?

https://tatts.com/join-up

seems they have usa in their list of countries still, this is the biggest lotto group in aust.  just swallowed QLD lotto, know as golden casket by the looks.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United Kingdom
              Member #122950
              February 10, 2012
              85 Posts
              Posted: February 24, 2012, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

well if you are honestly trying to  start a non profit lottery syndicate. you may well see why people turn to running them for profit.  ive seen few online syndicates , ran informally, and costs covered by members , they never advertise as its seen as taking money away from tickets. just ran as a small forum / chat group.

they never get big as they cannot draw enough interest and personal trust is what holds them together.

duno what you hope to  achieve, it seems like a lot of effort, to buy other peoples tickets.

and yeah you can see why no one runs em for Americans to buy.

and yo bobp,

hell i didnt know oz lotteries  stopped taking American money how about tatts, they used to allow Americans to register?

https://tatts.com/join-up

seems they have usa in their list of countries still, this is the biggest lotto group in aust.  just swallowed QLD lotto, know as golden casket by the looks.

I realized that just staying in a forum will not draw enough interest that's why I also have my own website but I have to be picky with my ads.
              What do I want to achieve? Just a share of the jackpot maybe or at least the bitter sweet experience of organizing a group that won a UK jackpot.
              Anyway, thanks a lot for all the information.

Bondi Junction
                Australia
                Member #57242
                December 24, 2007
                1102 Posts
                Posted: February 24, 2012, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I do not play syndicates and I only play directly with lotteries.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United Kingdom
                  Member #122950
                  February 10, 2012
                  85 Posts
                  Posted: February 25, 2012, 9:43 am - IP Logged

I do not play syndicates and I only play directly with lotteries.

I guess only time will tell whether your way is better than mineSmile. Goodlcuk