Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How long have you been playing the lottery and or scratch tickets for?

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 5 years ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2012, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious how long everyone has been playing the lottery andor scratch tickets?  I started thinking

about this when I heard of someone who recently won 1M on the Powerball and said that

was the first time they had every bought lottery tickets.  It seems lately when I hear of winners

it seems to be people who rarely play.  As for myself, for years I would only play the MM when the

jackpot got very high (it was only the last few years my state has had PB).  Then in September 2010

I started becoming a bit obsessed and started playing both the MM and PB regardless of the amount of

the drawings. I also started buying scratch tickets regularly.  It had been over 20 years before 2010 when

I had last bought a scratch ticket. Guess I was just hoping to win enough to pay for college tuition for my

daughter. When I started buying a few scratch tickets and winning here and there that's when my

obsession started.  I told myself a few months ago to just stick to buying 1 scratch ticket a week along

with one PB or MM but this past week I feel the addiction coming back again.   I have days when I tell myself

that it's impossible to win and not to get dissapointed again when I lose but other times I say you can't win

if you don't play.  I wonder how many people playing over the years have lost much money or

maybe some of you have broken even.  Just seems that some people might play for 30 years and never win

the big one and other's rarely play and win big.  I do know how high the odds are stacked against winning

a big one but just keep on hoping.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2012, 2:50 pm - IP Logged

been playing since 73,but not straight thru, lived in cali. for a while before they started their lottery.

some of these 1st time players that win, well lets just say i'm skeptical.

i used to work w/ a guy that said if he ever wins hes gonna say "its 1st ticket i ever bought"

just to piss people off, hes been playin for 40 years.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40611 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2012, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

since 1980, yikes, I feel old.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2012, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

been playing since 73,but not straight thru, lived in cali. for a while before they started their lottery.

some of these 1st time players that win, well lets just say i'm skeptical.

i used to work w/ a guy that said if he ever wins hes gonna say "its 1st ticket i ever bought"

just to piss people off, hes been playin for 40 years.

That's where I got that idea, from you!

That's what I wanna do on national TV.

Wearing my stinkiest overalls I'll say - "That's the first dadgum ticket I ever bought! And it was a dadblamed accident! I heard the ol' boy in front of me order some  Fireballs, you know, them hot jaw breakers? Well sir, I said give me one of them Fireballs too, young missy! And then she commenced to handin' me this here ticket and I said what in the dadblamed, blue blazin, hellfire is this, young missy? She said it was my Fireball ticket and they ain't no refundin' it neither so go on and git! Well sir, I left it layin' on the settee on the front porch between the stove and the icebox fer a spell when my cousin LucasRay commenced to eyeballin' it and he said he would ast the man down to the store were it any good. And it were! And now I got me 500 million dollars! Thank God fer Fireball!"

Then I'll hike my overalls up and commence to hootin' and hollerin' and clog dancin' up a storm.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
          Phoenix, AZ
          United States
          Member #120254
          December 14, 2011
          91 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2012, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Since 2011. Here in AZ, you gotta be 21 to legally play and redeem tickets and I turned 21 last year. I fiddled around with them beforehand(I would get tickets out the machines once in a blue moon for fun, never really won anything but if I did I'd have someone else get the money.) After I got my ID, started playing reguarly.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2012, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious how long everyone has been playing the lottery andor scratch tickets?  I started thinking

about this when I heard of someone who recently won 1M on the Powerball and said that

was the first time they had every bought lottery tickets.  It seems lately when I hear of winners

it seems to be people who rarely play.  As for myself, for years I would only play the MM when the

jackpot got very high (it was only the last few years my state has had PB).  Then in September 2010

I started becoming a bit obsessed and started playing both the MM and PB regardless of the amount of

the drawings. I also started buying scratch tickets regularly.  It had been over 20 years before 2010 when

I had last bought a scratch ticket. Guess I was just hoping to win enough to pay for college tuition for my

daughter. When I started buying a few scratch tickets and winning here and there that's when my

obsession started.  I told myself a few months ago to just stick to buying 1 scratch ticket a week along

with one PB or MM but this past week I feel the addiction coming back again.   I have days when I tell myself

that it's impossible to win and not to get dissapointed again when I lose but other times I say you can't win

if you don't play.  I wonder how many people playing over the years have lost much money or

maybe some of you have broken even.  Just seems that some people might play for 30 years and never win

the big one and other's rarely play and win big.  I do know how high the odds are stacked against winning

a big one but just keep on hoping.

I'd bet most people on this site have bought since it started in their areas or when they became old enough.

I remember hearing about the Irish Sweepstakes when I was just a little peckerwood and wonderin' why they didn't do something like that here.

So I guess in a way I'm like Al Gore. Just as he invented the internet, I invented the lottery.

You're welcome.

--Edmund Burke

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
              Mcminnville, Oregon
              United States
              Member #3013
              December 13, 2003
              3055 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2012, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Powerball and oregon megabucks since 1996 and mega millions since 2010.  And I have little to show for it either but do not think I am bitter because I am not just waiting for my ticket to come in big time!-weshar75

United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3856 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2012, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

That's where I got that idea, from you!

That's what I wanna do on national TV.

Wearing my stinkiest overalls I'll say - "That's the first dadgum ticket I ever bought! And it was a dadblamed accident! I heard the ol' boy in front of me order some  Fireballs, you know, them hot jaw breakers? Well sir, I said give me one of them Fireballs too, young missy! And then she commenced to handin' me this here ticket and I said what in the dadblamed, blue blazin, hellfire is this, young missy? She said it was my Fireball ticket and they ain't no refundin' it neither so go on and git! Well sir, I left it layin' on the settee on the front porch between the stove and the icebox fer a spell when my cousin LucasRay commenced to eyeballin' it and he said he would ast the man down to the store were it any good. And it were! And now I got me 500 million dollars! Thank God fer Fireball!"

Then I'll hike my overalls up and commence to hootin' and hollerin' and clog dancin' up a storm.

WTG RR take an idea and improve it, the american way, i love it.

now,when the lottery news is:WINNING TICKET SOLD IN APPLACHIAN TN,

and the ticket holder tells that story i'll know thats you.

got a picture in my mind of your cousin lucasray,looks like,uncle joe at the shady rest in petticoat junction. Cheers

next time i talk to mac i'll tell em how you improved his idea.

still don't know what clog dancin is What?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1649 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2012, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Well, I started losing back in the early 1990's on the Texas Lotto. I started out spending $1 because figured it only took one $1 dollar to win all that big money! I did that twice per week for quite some time and decided to increase to $5 after I didn't realize any wins. Do the math here: $2 per week for a long, long time with absolutely nothing to show for it. Nothing. Approximately $100 or so later, I decided that $5 bucks would make it better and easier to win with a few more numbers involved. Keep in mind, I had a budget fixed here so I could play. Did this for a very, very long time along with playing some Texas Two Step, Scratch Offs, and Pick 3. Let's just round it to well over $5,000 in losses.

I actually saved all my tickets for records of what I was spending, recovering, and losing...which turned out to be all losing of course. So, I altogether stopped everything so I could study, re-learn, and begin applying my numbers approach to something more fair, manageable and possibly profitable. That never happened because the state lottery commissions don't have enough flexibility in the payout structure to allow reasonably consistent wins. Thus, the player remains in debt for life unless they win a huge payout of sorts...

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2012, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

WTG RR take an idea and improve it, the american way, i love it.

now,when the lottery news is:WINNING TICKET SOLD IN APPLACHIAN TN,

and the ticket holder tells that story i'll know thats you.

got a picture in my mind of your cousin lucasray,looks like,uncle joe at the shady rest in petticoat junction. Cheers

next time i talk to mac i'll tell em how you improved his idea.

still don't know what clog dancin is What?

Some folks call it flat footin'.

Basically the same thing.

--Edmund Burke

mrsinful's avatar - gambling problem.jpg
                      South Carolina
                      United States
                      Member #66774
                      November 5, 2008
                      319 Posts
                      Posted: February 23, 2012, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

I never played the SC Education Lottery until 2002 when it started.

Since then well lets just say I got the 1 800 help line on speed dial. LOL Big Smile

Rehab is for quitters.

Inland Empire
                        United States
                        Member #118116
                        October 22, 2011
                        317 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2012, 12:33 am - IP Logged

Since 2009, I think. Before that I never thought about buying a lottery. Some guys showed up in my dream and gave me six numbers. And they were kind enough to let me know which one the mega number is.

But that was it. Now I am thinking about quitting the lottery.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                          Gurnee, Illinois
                          United States
                          Member #49731
                          February 12, 2007
                          917 Posts
                          Posted: February 25, 2012, 8:20 am - IP Logged

I have been playing since 1990.  I bought a 2 line Florida Lotto ticket that had all 6 numbers drawn...only problem for me was that 3 of them were on the first line and the other 3 were on the second line! Also had cases of matching 3 numbers and being one off on all the rest!  Lastly, I also had a case of picking the winning numbers but not buying ticket for that drawing due to grief my wife gave me for playing the lottery (yes, we are still married and I only think about it when I come to this site). The most I have ever won in that time span is $150 on Mega Millions.  So close but no cigar is my life.

But when I win, I will have to come up with a story to rival rdgrnr's!  I will have my work cut out for me as that was a good one!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: February 25, 2012, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Since 2009, I think. Before that I never thought about buying a lottery. Some guys showed up in my dream and gave me six numbers. And they were kind enough to let me know which one the mega number is.

Well then, you should list those six numbers here, gogidolim, as a way of releasing them to the universe and freeing your spirit to soar with the eagles in the clouds of destiny, tolerance and nurturing compassion for the downtrodden.

Alrighty then, what are they?

And which one is the mega ball?

--Edmund Burke

United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: February 25, 2012, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

recently i was reading about dreams, the writer said that the human mind cannot create a face,

and that if you see a stranger in a dream, they are a stranger that you passed on the street, in a store etc.

i see lots of strangers daily (job)and they are folks i will never see again.

you said "some guys showed up in my dream" were they strangers ?, how many ?

also i think its odd that you had a lottery dream before you were a player,

that alone would be enough to keep me playing.