Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Paranoid...or Prepared?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Brcebrce.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LucyMontgomery's avatar - Jadyen

United States
Member #123813
February 29, 2012
43 Posts
Posted: February 29, 2012, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Hey everyone!Smile This is obviously my first post, but I've been lurking on and off throughout the years. I should've joined much sooner, but just like the rest of yous I'm pretty much "living on a prayer" and learning with this game lol. Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I figure with the latest technology and latest JP winners becoming less and less known, it makes me wonder how much of a hassle it may be to win, not earn your way into becoming a multi-millionaire...not that theres anything wrong with that ;)

Some questions and things I'd like to discuss with you guys...just getting ideas thrown out there together so we can all play this game much safer for the future. I've seen that some people already have "plans" ready for just in case, which is smart to me! Now, I'm a bit young and recently graduated college...I'm in no position to set up a single life for myself yet; forgive me if these questions seem a bit naive. 

1) Do you honestly plan on telling your family? Especially for those who are not married? 

2) Even if you do or do not (tell your family), how do you explain the transition to becoming a multi-millionaire or suddenly being able to afford "rewards" to yourself/family? Do you have a story planned for everyone around you? 

3) I plan on using a P.I. before hiring any attorney or professionals around me and my $$, will you? ... but how much can you trust a P.I. as well? 

4) What kind of security system are you going to set up? I feel the regular ADT systems will not be enough, I'd definitely invest in something more advance <snip> the costs of it all. 

5) How many properties do you plan on buying or how much land? And if you do plan to move out of state, where to? 

6) If you are single, do you feel like you will be swindled more when setting up shop? Also, how will you handle dating in the future---do they know right away or is it something you will have to disguise until marriage/death? 

7) And this is just a fun question: what would you actually buy for fun? rewards for yourself???

So yes, many questions, but I have had to think of this realistically and all the implications for coming into millions of $$ suddenly. Im only in my early 20's, single female, and if it were to happen now or 10 years later...I want to not be overwhelmed by the transition. Paranoid or am I just preparing? Everyone here says to have a plan and watch your back; I agree! So for all intents and purposes, lets say you have won at least the current MM jp of 79.8 mill. I feel like the general consensus here is to take the cash, sooooo. Go! I'll answer later. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
    NYC
    United States
    Member #117984
    October 19, 2011
    1843 Posts
    Posted: February 29, 2012, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

Hey everyone!Smile This is obviously my first post, but I've been lurking on and off throughout the years. I should've joined much sooner, but just like the rest of yous I'm pretty much "living on a prayer" and learning with this game lol. Forgive me if this has been discussed, but I figure with the latest technology and latest JP winners becoming less and less known, it makes me wonder how much of a hassle it may be to win, not earn your way into becoming a multi-millionaire...not that theres anything wrong with that ;)

Some questions and things I'd like to discuss with you guys...just getting ideas thrown out there together so we can all play this game much safer for the future. I've seen that some people already have "plans" ready for just in case, which is smart to me! Now, I'm a bit young and recently graduated college...I'm in no position to set up a single life for myself yet; forgive me if these questions seem a bit naive. 

1) Do you honestly plan on telling your family? Especially for those who are not married? 

2) Even if you do or do not (tell your family), how do you explain the transition to becoming a multi-millionaire or suddenly being able to afford "rewards" to yourself/family? Do you have a story planned for everyone around you? 

3) I plan on using a P.I. before hiring any attorney or professionals around me and my $$, will you? ... but how much can you trust a P.I. as well? 

4) What kind of security system are you going to set up? I feel the regular ADT systems will not be enough, I'd definitely invest in something more advance <snip> the costs of it all. 

5) How many properties do you plan on buying or how much land? And if you do plan to move out of state, where to? 

6) If you are single, do you feel like you will be swindled more when setting up shop? Also, how will you handle dating in the future---do they know right away or is it something you will have to disguise until marriage/death? 

7) And this is just a fun question: what would you actually buy for fun? rewards for yourself???

So yes, many questions, but I have had to think of this realistically and all the implications for coming into millions of $$ suddenly. Im only in my early 20's, single female, and if it were to happen now or 10 years later...I want to not be overwhelmed by the transition. Paranoid or am I just preparing? Everyone here says to have a plan and watch your back; I agree! So for all intents and purposes, lets say you have won at least the current MM jp of 79.8 mill. I feel like the general consensus here is to take the cash, sooooo. Go! I'll answer later. 

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

1. I honestly will tell my family. I think it's very wrong to hide your winnings from family members. 

2. I plan on keeping a low profile and not splurge money. Of course I will hire financial advisors first. 

3. I'm sorry I don't know what P.I. means. 

4. I think ADT is a good system to have. I'm not that worried about my house safety that much. ADT is fine. The most advance is perfect. 

5. I probably may move up north like Rhode Island or something. Maybe CT. I plan on investing on real estate. A lot of land. 

6. I like remaining single all the time. I won't have to disguise anything, just letting the girl know I'm not interested in marriage. I plan on having plenty of girls though lol. Sorry I'm a young boy with needs. xD 

7. For fun? I don't know but I'll probably open up a Paintball arena since that's one of my favorite hobbies. I'll enjoy owning my own paintball arena. 

All in all, thanks for posting this thread because I can really think deep about how to plan my life when I win the big one. Thanks!

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: February 29, 2012, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

1. I honestly will tell my family. I think it's very wrong to hide your winnings from family members. 

2. I plan on keeping a low profile and not splurge money. Of course I will hire financial advisors first. 

3. I'm sorry I don't know what P.I. means. 

4. I think ADT is a good system to have. I'm not that worried about my house safety that much. ADT is fine. The most advance is perfect. 

5. I probably may move up north like Rhode Island or something. Maybe CT. I plan on investing on real estate. A lot of land. 

6. I like remaining single all the time. I won't have to disguise anything, just letting the girl know I'm not interested in marriage. I plan on having plenty of girls though lol. Sorry I'm a young boy with needs. xD 

7. For fun? I don't know but I'll probably open up a Paintball arena since that's one of my favorite hobbies. I'll enjoy owning my own paintball arena. 

All in all, thanks for posting this thread because I can really think deep about how to plan my life when I win the big one. Thanks!

P.I = Private Investigator

Think Magnum P.I. (from the 80's, you may not remember?)

United States
        Member #123813
        February 29, 2012
        43 Posts
        Posted: February 29, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure how to quote you, not used to these forums yet. But P.I. = private investigator. lol i only have a Hollywood idea of what they are like, but i'm pretty sure they are exactly what i'm looking for added security regarding the legal and service professionals around me. now could i trust them myself? thanks to Breaking Bad, i'm not so sure Jester Laugh

And no problem! I like to think about these things too, but now I am believe in it! I'm glad you could share your potential new life with us! and :lol at the "staying single all your life and having lots of girls." I'll just tell you people have started wars over women; dont chase the p**n, only the $$! Naughty

NYC
          United States
          Member #117984
          October 19, 2011
          1843 Posts
          Posted: February 29, 2012, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

P.I = Private Investigator

Think Magnum P.I. (from the 80's, you may not remember?)

I had a hunch and I was right. It is Private Investigator. 

My mom liked that show.

NYC
            United States
            Member #117984
            October 19, 2011
            1843 Posts
            Posted: February 29, 2012, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure how to quote you, not used to these forums yet. But P.I. = private investigator. lol i only have a Hollywood idea of what they are like, but i'm pretty sure they are exactly what i'm looking for added security regarding the legal and service professionals around me. now could i trust them myself? thanks to Breaking Bad, i'm not so sure Jester Laugh

And no problem! I like to think about these things too, but now I am believe in it! I'm glad you could share your potential new life with us! and :lol at the "staying single all your life and having lots of girls." I'll just tell you people have started wars over women; dont chase the p**n, only the $$! Naughty

LOL you know it and of course chase the money first. Thumbs Up

Sounded like I exaggerated a little lol but a lady friend of mines will know. I won't disguise it from her. 

I would ask her this though:

"Remember back when I was broke, you would fix me."

"Do you prefer the broke me or the rich me?"

"The broke me couldn't buy you meals, not even a value meal"

"And now I pay for everything, how you feel?"

But for question 3, I think I'll just research honest worthy financial advisors who don't disobey the law in any way.

United States
              Member #123813
              February 29, 2012
              43 Posts
              Posted: February 29, 2012, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

1) Honestly, I wouldn't tell my family at all or I'd tread very lightly. A reason not to tell them is that you don't come from a good/trusting family and unfortunately that is my situation. I can't trust my parents, can't trust my sisters... I may have to even give annonymous handouts to family members and make it seem like some long-lost dead relative left them the money. at the moment, i am single so no one's getting my loot unless I become a single mom...I'd like that. Actually, only one friend I consider my family at this point cuz he's ride or die to me. I trust him to keep it a secret with me. 

2) This question has plagued me the most. Being single, person of color, and young woman IDK how I will get away with this because I do plan on buying a nice 2000-3000 sqft. home and multiple properties in very uppity metropolitan/beach/international areas lol. I want to live like a little Princess cuz i deserve it (actually I just want a complete opposite of the home i grew up in). If I can get away with ppl not asking questions good, but otherwise I may say I inherited just property from my grandfather or something lol. I cant lie and say i was an entrepreneur cuz my skills lie mostly in the arts and that'd just be too hard of a story to keep up with haha. 

4) Idk how systems work because I don't own my own home yet, but I want a system that alerts and shows me everytime someone even steps onto my property...not just breaking in lol. Machetes, guns, taser shotgun, and probably a dog as well. I dont play... 

5) I want to buy at least 3 properties in the US. Maybe a vacation spot overseas. At least 30-75 acreage somewhere in the US & Costa Rica. All in all, I wanna spend about 5-8mill in property investment. 

6)I do, being a younger woman I know how sexist this world is and I do fear that from day to day. I honestly feel like I will have to have my "dating/hang out" condo and rent it out at the same time. At least until I'm 34? I dont want them to get any ideas until i trust them with my life and theyve proven that. 

7) As soon as I win, I'm taking a 1-2 month long vacay in the US and Europe/S.A. to enjoy my money and life. I had a horrible and cheap upbringing so vacations were extremely rare! Also want to go back to school, maybe finally go to culinary school. I want private tutors to help me learn like 3 languages. What a I want the most is a pool :)

United States
                Member #123813
                February 29, 2012
                43 Posts
                Posted: February 29, 2012, 8:08 pm - IP Logged

LOL you know it and of course chase the money first. Thumbs Up

Sounded like I exaggerated a little lol but a lady friend of mines will know. I won't disguise it from her. 

I would ask her this though:

"Remember back when I was broke, you would fix me."

"Do you prefer the broke me or the rich me?"

"The broke me couldn't buy you meals, not even a value meal"

"And now I pay for everything, how you feel?"

But for question 3, I think I'll just research honest worthy financial advisors who don't disobey the law in any way.

Ha! That's pretty much my exact situation, reversed genders! :)

NYC
                  United States
                  Member #117984
                  October 19, 2011
                  1843 Posts
                  Posted: February 29, 2012, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

1) Honestly, I wouldn't tell my family at all or I'd tread very lightly. A reason not to tell them is that you don't come from a good/trusting family and unfortunately that is my situation. I can't trust my parents, can't trust my sisters... I may have to even give annonymous handouts to family members and make it seem like some long-lost dead relative left them the money. at the moment, i am single so no one's getting my loot unless I become a single mom...I'd like that. Actually, only one friend I consider my family at this point cuz he's ride or die to me. I trust him to keep it a secret with me. 

2) This question has plagued me the most. Being single, person of color, and young woman IDK how I will get away with this because I do plan on buying a nice 2000-3000 sqft. home and multiple properties in very uppity metropolitan/beach/international areas lol. I want to live like a little Princess cuz i deserve it (actually I just want a complete opposite of the home i grew up in). If I can get away with ppl not asking questions good, but otherwise I may say I inherited just property from my grandfather or something lol. I cant lie and say i was an entrepreneur cuz my skills lie mostly in the arts and that'd just be too hard of a story to keep up with haha. 

4) Idk how systems work because I don't own my own home yet, but I want a system that alerts and shows me everytime someone even steps onto my property...not just breaking in lol. Machetes, guns, taser shotgun, and probably a dog as well. I dont play... 

5) I want to buy at least 3 properties in the US. Maybe a vacation spot overseas. At least 30-75 acreage somewhere in the US & Costa Rica. All in all, I wanna spend about 5-8mill in property investment. 

6)I do, being a younger woman I know how sexist this world is and I do fear that from day to day. I honestly feel like I will have to have my "dating/hang out" condo and rent it out at the same time. At least until I'm 34? I dont want them to get any ideas until i trust them with my life and theyve proven that. 

7) As soon as I win, I'm taking a 1-2 month long vacay in the US and Europe/S.A. to enjoy my money and life. I had a horrible and cheap upbringing so vacations were extremely rare! Also want to go back to school, maybe finally go to culinary school. I want private tutors to help me learn like 3 languages. What a I want the most is a pool :)

That's on my "to-do" list for life. Going to a Culinary school.

United States
                    Member #123813
                    February 29, 2012
                    43 Posts
                    Posted: February 29, 2012, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Same! Long messed up story, but I was guilted and pretty much forced into a 4 yr. school even though i had strong need and brains to go to culinary school. Got a 4 yr. degree, but struggled since it wasn't my passion. Now im like many lost post-grads and the worst part part is now i'll have to pay for culinary school AND the rest of my college loans on my own soon enough smh! most days im banking on this lottery game, but i'm sure you know the feeling! :)

definitely DO IT. you will excel at something you're actually mentally invested in! don't let go of that dream.

NYC
                      United States
                      Member #117984
                      October 19, 2011
                      1843 Posts
                      Posted: February 29, 2012, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Same! Long messed up story, but I was guilted and pretty much forced into a 4 yr. school even though i had strong need and brains to go to culinary school. Got a 4 yr. degree, but struggled since it wasn't my passion. Now im like many lost post-grads and the worst part part is now i'll have to pay for culinary school AND the rest of my college loans on my own soon enough smh! most days im banking on this lottery game, but i'm sure you know the feeling! :)

definitely DO IT. you will excel at something you're actually mentally invested in! don't let go of that dream.

Def.! Thanks for all the insight. I know how it be. Thumbs Up

P.S. LOL at your avatar! That kid is hilarious hahaha!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: February 29, 2012, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP LucyMontgomery............

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 29, 2012, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post Lucy and Best of Luck to you!LepYes NodThumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
                            East of Columbus, OH
                            United States
                            Member #120843
                            December 28, 2011
                            451 Posts
                            Posted: February 29, 2012, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

1) I would tell my close family.  I am very close with my parents and my father-in-law as well as a couple of cousins.  I want to help them out some when I win, depending on size of JP. 

2) If strangers ask me, I will not tell them the truth, only that some investments I've made have finally panned out.

3) No PI for me, I have a solid home life and family.

4) No security system.  I live in the middle of 60 acres now.  I have 5 dogs, a couple of rifles, several handguns, and a shovel.  Any strange car driving up my lane in the middle of the night is known about well before they would reach the house.  BTW, a really good trained K9 will cost you upwards of $8,000.  A worthwhile investment, IMO. 

5) Not sure how much land I would buy.  I would try to buy as much land around me as possible.  Then, maybe a condo in Hawaii for vacations.

6) Not single, but I would not tell anyone I was dating for a long time.  And of course there is always a pre-nuptual agreement.

7) A smaller JP and I'm buying a new Corvette.  A large JP and I am buying a Ferrari 458 and my wife a baby blue Bentley Continental convertible. 

Sorry to hear about the rough home life.  Its not paranoid if they really are out to get you . . .

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Ga
                              United States
                              Member #120454
                              December 20, 2011
                              141 Posts
                              Posted: March 2, 2012, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

1)My whole family...eventually. But at first just immediate. I got friends I would tell before some family members.

2) That's a good one Night. Completely honest but vague as possible.

3) I would do research a good tax\estate lawyer first. If they take you on as a client, they must look out for your best interests so ask them.

4) anonymity better than a 1000 bodyguards. (do a little research here and google it. everyone will say if possible claim anonymously.)

5) Not sure real estate investments are iffy to me right now. I would buy a new house though decent land amount to go with it.

6) Not telling until married,she'll get a BIG honeymoon surprise. Until then play cards close to the chest.

7) I would travel a lot. Learn a few new languages( I said a lot). I like the paintball arena money not being an object you could have some fun with that one.