Welcome Guest
You last visited September 25, 2017, 12:41 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Playing for the Power/Mega ball.

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 6 years ago by Tuwie-.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Albany, NY
United States
Member #124164
March 8, 2012
42 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2012, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Once the jackpot breaks the $150 Million mark on either powerball or mega millions a group of 5 of us usually start putting in $20 a piece for each draw, for $100 in tickets.

Now we were discussing picking a group of maybe 20 poweballs and then get quick picks for the actual numbers.

This would give us 5 lines for each of the powerball numbers we picked.

Has anyone tried a system like this?  What is your opinion on such a system?  Any suggestions on this system or ways to modify it a little?

Usually, we would each play a card and then get the rest in quick picks, but we felt like trying something diffferent this time.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read htis and respond.

Good luck everyone.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
    upstate NY
    United States
    Member #108791
    March 31, 2011
    549 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2012, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

That's a decent strategy.  With MM you're covering a little less than half of the Megaballs and with PB you're covering a little more than half of the Powerballs.

I wonder how effective that strategy would be versus playing every Mega/Powerball at least once.  With the former you'll earn more winnings but only if your Mega/Powerball comes up; with the latter you're guaranteed at least one win.

Remember, though, that with Powerball at $2, your group will only be able to get 50 lines for your $100.

Albany, NY
      United States
      Member #124164
      March 8, 2012
      42 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2012, 1:29 pm - IP Logged

We thought about playing every mega ball, but in the end we decided against it.  There are quite a few mega balls that come up so rarely that we are comfotable omitting them.

To be honest, we have only discussed using this for mega millions so far, none of us have been big fans of powrball since the $2 change. But if it gets high enough I am sure we will try,

This will be our first attempt, obviously, using this method so hopefully we can produce a couple winners.

Thanks for the comment.

RedStang's avatar - laughing chimp.gif
        NY
        United States
        Member #121961
        January 21, 2012
        3163 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2012, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I would try it once and see what happens. Play every mega ball and quick pick the other 5 numbers. I always wondered how it would pay off. GL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          20130 Posts
          Posted: March 13, 2012, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Once the jackpot breaks the $150 Million mark on either powerball or mega millions a group of 5 of us usually start putting in $20 a piece for each draw, for $100 in tickets.

Now we were discussing picking a group of maybe 20 poweballs and then get quick picks for the actual numbers.

This would give us 5 lines for each of the powerball numbers we picked.

Has anyone tried a system like this?  What is your opinion on such a system?  Any suggestions on this system or ways to modify it a little?

Usually, we would each play a card and then get the rest in quick picks, but we felt like trying something diffferent this time.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read htis and respond.

Good luck everyone.

I've tried it a few times.  I pick my MB by using the numbers in the top 10-25 MB repeat positions and I usually match a MB 50-70% of the times.  I seldom do better than a 1+1 and I seldom match a 3of5 or better but I only play 20 or so lines since I play alone.

If you really think you're on to something then you should test it on paper when you're not playing and then when the jackpot reaches $150M+, you will have decided what to do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning one * 

Evil Looking       

Albany, NY
            United States
            Member #124164
            March 8, 2012
            42 Posts
            Posted: March 13, 2012, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

Well, we didnt win the big one, but we did actually end up with 2 plus the mega ball.  So we ended up getting a 10 percent return.  Which we will most likely roll into our next drawing.

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
              East of Columbus, OH
              United States
              Member #120843
              December 28, 2011
              452 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2012, 8:09 am - IP Logged

I've tried it a few times.  I pick my MB by using the numbers in the top 10-25 MB repeat positions and I usually match a MB 50-70% of the times.  I seldom do better than a 1+1 and I seldom match a 3of5 or better but I only play 20 or so lines since I play alone.

If you really think you're on to something then you should test it on paper when you're not playing and then when the jackpot reaches $150M+, you will have decided what to do.

How do you come up with the repeat positions?  Is this the MB's that repeat the most or the 10-25 that are most due for a hit?

Thanks!

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Albany, NY
                United States
                Member #124164
                March 8, 2012
                42 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2012, 10:44 am - IP Logged

We picked 10 of the most frequently drawn MB's.  Then 5 that we felt were due, and then 5 random(we each picked one). 

Last nights Megaball fell into the random group. So there was no big trick to picking it.

For the cold numbers, we avoided any number that had been picked in the last 8 draws.  For the most frequently drawn ones, we omitted the ones that have been within the last 3 draws.

We might try to refine it a bit to lower the amount of Mega balls we pick, or we just might go back to quick picks.