Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New to Scratchers!

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 5 years ago by omiller315.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
FireRunner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
VA
United States
Member #124652
March 17, 2012
3 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2012, 11:37 am - IP Logged

Hello all,

My wife and I started buying scratchers a few days ago just for fun, turns out they're really addictive when you're winning.  I read online in a few places never to buy just one or two, so we went and bought 20 $2 scratchers from 7-11.  That night we got a $50 and a $25 ticket along with a few $2 winners.

The following day I was at another 7-11 and bought 10 5X The Money and won $36.  That evening my wife bought 20 5X The Money and we won $46!  I've been looking for a Virginia scratchers message board but there isn't one.  I've been reading these boards for a few days and have a few questions:

1. Do you normally buy scratchers that are new or about to expire?  Or, do you simply go off the odds at the time?  The Virginia Lott has a site that is updated daily with the tickets handed in and odds. I also look at Lotto Crawler but I'm not sure how often that is updated.

2. It seems most people here buy $20 scratchers, is this so you can at least break even if you buy 5-10 of them? Does this really work?  I ask because the money prizes from $2 scratchers isn't very high.

3. I know there are more threads than one page worth, but this board only shows one page worth of threads.  Why is that?

Thanks and I look forward to being part of this site!

Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #109275
    April 9, 2011
    1503 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2012, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Hello all,

My wife and I started buying scratchers a few days ago just for fun, turns out they're really addictive when you're winning.  I read online in a few places never to buy just one or two, so we went and bought 20 $2 scratchers from 7-11.  That night we got a $50 and a $25 ticket along with a few $2 winners.

The following day I was at another 7-11 and bought 10 5X The Money and won $36.  That evening my wife bought 20 5X The Money and we won $46!  I've been looking for a Virginia scratchers message board but there isn't one.  I've been reading these boards for a few days and have a few questions:

1. Do you normally buy scratchers that are new or about to expire?  Or, do you simply go off the odds at the time?  The Virginia Lott has a site that is updated daily with the tickets handed in and odds. I also look at Lotto Crawler but I'm not sure how often that is updated.

2. It seems most people here buy $20 scratchers, is this so you can at least break even if you buy 5-10 of them? Does this really work?  I ask because the money prizes from $2 scratchers isn't very high.

3. I know there are more threads than one page worth, but this board only shows one page worth of threads.  Why is that?

Thanks and I look forward to being part of this site!

Welcome aboard. You are only seeing 1 month worth of posts. I think alot of people keep posting in messages that were previously started, so there isn't many new topics over the month. Look right above the top row of the message board. YOu should see a drop down to change from 1 month to anything greater or less.

I think alot of people buy $20 tickets cause of the return. You buy a handful and you should see 50% back or so. With the $2 scratchers they are hit or miss. I know with me if I buy $20, I might get a $4 return which seems pointless. Guess with the 20's I feel I will win back $20+ or nothing. However $2 tickets go in spurts. DR65 has hit decent and just last night I got $100 and $50 on the PA Win 4 Life. It's all about preference and what you want to play. Here in PA our $10 tickets have roughly the same odds as the $20's

As for preference. I see alot of new tickets hot to start and then cool off. I kinda like going for the old tickets cause no one is playing them. i feel they are the forgotten ticket and people might be passing up something decent.

Good luck with the tickets.BTW. Virginia is the only state I am ahead in. Back in the mid 90's going through to Myrtle beach I got 2 tickets and one hit $50. I forget the $ amounts thought.

FireRunner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
      VA
      United States
      Member #124652
      March 17, 2012
      3 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2012, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Hey OMiller,

Thanks for the welcome and your response.  It makes sense the higher the ticket the better the possible return.  My wife and I just returned from the grocery store, we decided to spend $20 on $5 tickets.  We ended up winning $25!  I have a feeling our luck so far will end though, if everyone had this luck...well, everyone would be playing!

As much as we enjoy scratching $2 tickets, I think we're going to move to $5 tickets.  They seems to have better odds, and in the end that's all that matters right :)  I was wondering about the demand for new games versus old games.  I noticed at the grocery stores and conveint stores all the new games were often times sold out (in Virginia it's 5X The Money and 24K - both $2 tickets).  After looking at the VA Lotto site I was pondering if I should aim for older games that people probably have forgotten.

Fairfax, VA
        United States
        Member #124718
        March 18, 2012
        17 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2012, 1:59 am - IP Logged

I am in Virginia as well, and I usually buy $20 scratch offs. I buy them by the pack, freshly sealed and have to ask the clerk for a brand new pack. This yields the best possible return than buying from a pack where people have already started to buy 1,2,or 3 at a time. A fresh pack of $20 scratch offs cost $400 with 20 tickets. Basically 20 chances of winning something greater than $400. If not, then you are guaranteed at least 50% of return back in your pocket. I dont buy packs often, but i go out on a limb every once in awhile

Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #109275
          April 9, 2011
          1503 Posts
          Posted: March 21, 2012, 5:53 pm - IP Logged

I am in Virginia as well, and I usually buy $20 scratch offs. I buy them by the pack, freshly sealed and have to ask the clerk for a brand new pack. This yields the best possible return than buying from a pack where people have already started to buy 1,2,or 3 at a time. A fresh pack of $20 scratch offs cost $400 with 20 tickets. Basically 20 chances of winning something greater than $400. If not, then you are guaranteed at least 50% of return back in your pocket. I dont buy packs often, but i go out on a limb every once in awhile

I have done that in the past. Our tickets are $300 a pack for $1-$5. $600 per $10/$20 pack. Generally I will buy $5 roll and figure on 50% return. I figure if I am willing to spend $150 on tickets(with the thought process of losing by mixing and matching), I might as well buy a $300 roll to know for sure I will lose $150 but good chance to win more. I have never profited on a roll though but in 17 years I hit $500(1995)-$200(2012) and $100's and below, so I haven't been one of the lucky ones to get good amounts.I had one roll pay $150 at the halfway point only to pay $10 the rest of the way. Wish I was kidding. I had another roll pay $85 with only 10 tickets left and those 10 hit $75. See how they both add to $160. It was strange week since I got both in the same week on the same game from the same store.