Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:10 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Millions $241mil Cash or Annuity

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 5 years ago by iGlenn.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you choose the Case or Annuity

$170mil Cash Option [ 25 ]  [80.65%]
$7mil+/year Approx. Annuity [ 6 ]  [19.35%]
Total Valid Votes [ 31 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
truewinner76's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
lakewood
United States
Member #113654
July 13, 2011
50 Posts
Posted: March 18, 2012, 11:15 am - IP Logged

If you're the lucky winner of the $241mil Mega Millions jackpot on Tuesday which payout would you take? With the amount of cash that the  Annuity would payout every year makes this kind of a tough decision for me.. which would you choose.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
    TX
    United States
    Member #121193
    January 4, 2012
    1637 Posts
    Posted: March 18, 2012, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Cash $$$$$$$$ rules !...The one with the most toys in the end wins ! Banana

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6305 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2012, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

Cold hard cash baby........

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
        Member #32537
        February 12, 2006
        698 Posts
        Posted: March 19, 2012, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

current us debt is over 15 trillion

and their adding to debt by trillions ever year now

how do think their going to pay for this

i give u a hint,obama and all dems want 241m annuity to pay more then 35%, they waNT more!....

BOTH sides are big spenders, american is NOT giving up its spend happy ways with dems or reps, only ron pual was hope to change things,and hes not going to win with idiots  in both majority of putting people in charge "the blind leading the blind" or in this case, the stupid majority electing the stupid as their leaders/

onless they  plan to fire whole sections of govt departments,and cut aid to other nations, and just total spending cutback across all govt like u never seen before in history,   , debt will go up and someone got to pay for it

"hint the poor can't so guest who gets the bill of stupid mass's bad habits? yup u the new rich guy does.     

so ofc, tax's have to be high, and with never ending debt hole ,always getting deeper. i  suggest u take the money all up front./

i take cash now,and run FAR, far away form usa govt tax's, let them tax it at 35% now,and get out of town with it. so they can never touch it again

btw,  annuity, is just a lazy person way to invest is my honest belief, as their better ways to make money then us t bills "how the lottery invests your cash"

, their lots of self made billionaires, that use Stock dividends, as their top way of creating more wealth       ,and tax rate on them are super low,n ational rate max is 15% on dividends ,  atm compared to 35% "income" tax rate. aka ceo pay etc/

ether way, very rich don't  have a income taxed at 35%,     ,they have dividends, take the hint,study up on it,very rich stay rich,  invest it smart

even if take the annuity,and be lazy option,    reinvest cash with max returns ever year u get paid more, ,and make sure govt gets less % of money ever time u make more       ,these are idiots that don't deserve the cash. as its black hole of wasteful spending.

No bees, no honey.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19904 Posts
          Posted: March 19, 2012, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

At my age I probably wouldn't be around to collect all 26 annuity payments but I would be happy collecting $7M+ annually the rest of my life and let the relatives fight over what's left when I'm gone.  I wouldn't want to waste my time listening to a bunch of sleek and expensive investment consultants.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
            Member #32537
            February 12, 2006
            698 Posts
            Posted: March 19, 2012, 2:54 pm - IP Logged

or u could take it all up front,put it all in a trust RJOh

and invest it in divindend paying stocks

think microsoft. etc, 

and when u die,  really screw with them by going

, u can't ever tocuh the stocks them self, this is for family empire down the road.

u can only get part of divindend payments in cash  ever time,   that is the % that's not auto reinvested into more stocks

aka  u force them to be wealthy ,but can't touch it or destroy it, ,  they only get checks ever 4 times a year LOL. that keep  relatives in their place.  so u can rofl at them in death,  knowing your great great grind kids are set,and their parents are screwed out of millions but not a good life :P

No bees, no honey.

Kentucky
              United States
              Member #32652
              February 14, 2006
              7344 Posts
              Posted: March 19, 2012, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

If you're the lucky winner of the $241mil Mega Millions jackpot on Tuesday which payout would you take? With the amount of cash that the  Annuity would payout every year makes this kind of a tough decision for me.. which would you choose.

There are companies that offer to make cash settlements if players decide on the annuity but in five years "need their cash now". None of them probably have the $180 million plus needed to buy a remaining 21 year annuity or would want to tie up that much money for that long; not with the current interests rates.

Right now most financial planners would suggest taking the cash and wait until things open up and then suggest a plan of investment that could easily exceed the 26 yearly annuity payment. A 42% total interest return (1.6%) over 26 years isn't much to write home about; not when you can double your money in 10 years with a 7.5% average interest rate.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                Mcminnville, Oregon
                United States
                Member #3013
                December 13, 2003
                3098 Posts
                Posted: March 19, 2012, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

I think I could live off the $85 million.  Yes!  That would be awesome!-weshar75

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: March 19, 2012, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Who's to say you can't take the annuity and invest what's left over after each year?  Not everyone intends to blow out tens of millions of dollars at once and would need the cash option.

And please don't throw the taxes argument at me; not everyone agrees with it and not everyone even cares.

Patriot

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: March 20, 2012, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

When I played my numbers yesterday, I allowed my nine year old grandson to pick some numbers on a play slip.  He was suppose to use one box, but he filled in the whole ticket.  I went ahead and paid $5 for his ticket.  I showed it to him and he asked if he won.... lol   I told him the drawing was on Tuesday and we would have to wait and see.  He said, "Ok"  Then he asked how much could he win.. I told him $240 Million..  His reply,  "Do I have to share it?"   I laughed and told him we would discuss that when he won.. The customers in the store got a big laugh.

He doesn't really have the concept of what a Million is much less 240 of them..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                      Lavender Rocket

United States
                      Member #124616
                      March 16, 2012
                      2642 Posts
                      Posted: March 20, 2012, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

Cash - I will take my win in cash thank you!

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
                        Whiskey Island
                        United States
                        Member #90216
                        April 24, 2010
                        12809 Posts
                        Posted: March 20, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Cash - I will take my win in cash thank you!

Cash Only !!!  The Annuity is to much of a gamble ...

United States
                          Member #124814
                          March 20, 2012
                          219 Posts
                          Posted: March 20, 2012, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I would take the cash option. Make all the big money purchases in the beginning. Buy a mansion, give some to my family, buy a few cars, put about 15 million aside for business venturing, and then put the rest in the bank and live off the interest.

Saint Louis MO
                            United States
                            Member #110754
                            May 11, 2011
                            2650 Posts
                            Posted: March 20, 2012, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Cash is King!Hyper

lele100

Good Luck!!

Remember to flip 6's 9's, mirror front and end #'s, and do front/back3 for a hit!

United States
                              Member #61232
                              May 16, 2008
                              126 Posts
                              Posted: March 20, 2012, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

With cash you make your own decisions on how you invest the winnings. 

With the annuity the government makes that decision for you. 

With that said, I'll take the cash.