Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clarence Jackson/Lucke or Unlucke win 5.8 million lottery

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Artist77.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

LP members JUDGE this "WON"

Yes, he gets money [ 2 ]  [10.53%]
No, he missed date required [ 13 ]  [68.42%]
Yes, he gets money (but) no interest [ 1 ]  [5.26%]
state lottery commission are wrong [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Let Clarence and Lobbist deside [ 1 ]  [5.26%]
Clarence made honest mistake [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Never let laws PUSH you around [ 2 ]  [10.53%]
Total Valid Votes [ 19 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
Member #4877
May 30, 2004
5120 Posts
Posted: March 21, 2012, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

His bad luck started the day his mama named him Clarence.

Now why would somebody do something like that to a poor little kid? Especially his own mama?

Why couldn't she name him somethin' normal like Luther or Buford or JimBob?

US Flag>>>>>>>>>or like JimBob Clinton !!!!!!!!!!!

US Flag>>>>>>>>>or like Luther BUSH>>!!!!!!!!!!!

US Flag>>>>>>>>>or like Buford O'BAMA!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

United States
    Member #113987
    July 21, 2011
    9 Posts
    Posted: March 23, 2012, 9:40 am - IP Logged

According to the Connecticut Office of State Treasure, Unclaimed Property Division:

What is Unclaimed Property?   

We may have something that belongs to you! In Connecticut, the Office of State Treasurer collects and safeguards money and other valuables which have been unclaimed by Connecticut residents for a specific period of time, generally three to five years.  Unclaimed assets include, but are not limited to: savings or checking accounts, un-cashed checks, deposits, stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares, travelers' checks or money orders and life insurance policies. Rightful owners or their heirs always have the right to claim funds held by the Treasury. There is no time limit for you to claim this money.

In accordance with state law, the assets are transferred to the Treasurer by entities such as banks, insurance companies, stock transfer agents, utilities, hospitals, retail, manufacturing and service companies following a loss of contact with the owners of record. Specific forms and instructions are provided by the Unclaimed Property Division each year for businesses to file unclaimed property. Such assets must be reported and remitted within 90 days following the close of each calendar year. These assets are held in the custody of the Treasurer until claimants come forward or are located.

The definition of "Unclaimed Assets" states that it includes, but is not limited to a wide range of assets.
    Certainly the amount of money in a lottery jackpot prize fund, or any annuity purchased with those funds,  would be considered a valuable asset.

"In accordance with state law, the assets are transferred to the Treasurer by entities such as banks, insurance companies, (etc.)"
    Wouldn't the Connecticut State Lottery would be considered such an entity?

"These assets are held in the custody of the Treasurer until claimants come forward or are located."
    Mr. Jackson apparently did come forward with a bona fide claim to it.

There does seem to be some confusion here as to the time period to make a claim.
    In the above it says "generally three to five years", but at the end, "There is no time limit for you to claim your money."

If this, or similar policy was in effect fifteen years ago then Mr. Jackson should have been allowed to claim the money at that time.

"Rightful owners or their heirs always have the right to claim funds held by the Treasury. There is no time limit for you to claim this money."
    And, "These assets are held in the custody of the Treasurer until claimants come forward or are located."

If this is true, then he should be allowed to claim the money even now.

(Unless the definition of Unclaimed Property somehow excludes unclaimed lottery winnings)

"We may have something that belongs to you!" 

Yes, indeed!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
      Member #121745
      January 16, 2012
      4788 Posts
      Posted: March 25, 2012, 10:07 am - IP Logged

But I think the difference for unclaimed property, is that it was already designated your property (or a relative's) to begin with....mutual funds or an uncashed check you forgot about that was already in your name or a relative's name.  In Clarence's case, the money was never officially triggered as his at any point until he claimed it (when you set up a savings account, you have to set it up, show ID, etc....you cannot claim money until you trigger that process).  Now if he would have been validated and there was a lottery check or some annuity check that somehow never got to him, then that would be unclaimed property.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5120 Posts
        Posted: March 25, 2012, 11:58 am - IP Logged

MAX & ART77:

U2 must B lawyer's. Both of U can READ, RITE& RESEARCH>>>>>>>>>>>!

The POLL was based on news article on March 19. 2012 from The Lottery Post

titled, "Almost-millionaire on a 15 year political pilgrimage"  Thank's 4 make'n

us think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Areatha Franklin said, "YOU BETTER THINK" & Psyko said, "YOU CAN VOTE" !!

U can vote if U can read,>>>>>>>> U can vote if U can't read>>>>>>>> !!

The Lottery Post will set UUUUUUU FREE>"JACKPOT"

Jack-in-the-Box

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 25, 2012, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

US Flag>>>>>>>>>or like JimBob Clinton !!!!!!!!!!!

US Flag>>>>>>>>>or like Luther BUSH>>!!!!!!!!!!!

US Flag>>>>>>>>>or like Buford O'BAMA!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

That's what I'm talkin' about!  Thumbs Up

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Bronx, NY
            United States
            Member #124198
            March 8, 2012
            105 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2012, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

I voted no.  The guy had an entire year to claim the prize and didn't.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
              upstate NY
              United States
              Member #108791
              March 31, 2011
              549 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2012, 6:18 pm - IP Logged

But I think the difference for unclaimed property, is that it was already designated your property (or a relative's) to begin with....mutual funds or an uncashed check you forgot about that was already in your name or a relative's name.  In Clarence's case, the money was never officially triggered as his at any point until he claimed it (when you set up a savings account, you have to set it up, show ID, etc....you cannot claim money until you trigger that process).  Now if he would have been validated and there was a lottery check or some annuity check that somehow never got to him, then that would be unclaimed property.

This is an excellent point.  Besides, even if you could argue that the jackpot became his when the winning numbers were drawn, there is probably a law that specifically exempts unclaimed lotto jackpots from the unclaimed property law.

Patriot

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #104853
                January 21, 2011
                159 Posts
                Posted: March 25, 2012, 6:41 pm - IP Logged

Again, I think that people who just shove lottery tickets away somewhere and forget about them are not taking playing the lottery seriously as they should.  In the case that you do win, you need those months to work out a plan anyway.  You could tape them to a computer or something and remember to check it if your memory is a problem.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                  Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                  United States
                  Member #112968
                  June 29, 2011
                  3854 Posts
                  Posted: March 25, 2012, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

thats where i keep mine, in front of the desktop,makes it easy to check on the website,

i used to keep them in the sun visor of my truck, parked in atlantic city every work day and check them at the store,

when i was buying my next set,then i had a $542 winner and realized , not a good place to keep em,

imagine a JP winner being left in a sun visor ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4788 Posts
                    Posted: March 25, 2012, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

I keep mine under a heavy vase (decorative--no water in it). So the pets cannot chew on the tickets and I know where they are at all times.