Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Odd thing I heard from convenience clerk

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by GGStarlings.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
txwinr's avatar - Lottery-033.jpg
Texas
United States
Member #1998
August 6, 2003
28 Posts
Posted: March 26, 2012, 8:48 am - IP Logged

The clerk told me that no major jackpots have been won on tickets with more than 3 lines on them, and by buying 5, 10 dollar tickets all on a single ticket, you decrease your odds of winning by 15%. 

Has anyone ever heard this before????

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    British Columbia
    Canada
    Member #116101
    September 4, 2011
    4033 Posts
    Posted: March 26, 2012, 8:55 am - IP Logged

never before

"You have to be in it to win it!"

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      11975 Posts
      Posted: March 26, 2012, 8:58 am - IP Logged

The clerk told me that no major jackpots have been won on tickets with more than 3 lines on them, and by buying 5, 10 dollar tickets all on a single ticket, you decrease your odds of winning by 15%. 

That is not true, many mega millions and powerball winners have won by buying single line tickets, 2 lines on one ticket, 3 lines on one ticket, 4 lines, 5 lines , 7 lines, 8 lines, 10 lines etc. You can only play up to 10 lines together on one ticket. I hope this would help.

Louisville, KY
        United States
        Member #15734
        May 20, 2005
        203 Posts
        Posted: March 26, 2012, 9:00 am - IP Logged

It's probably just a coincidence. I remember May 9, 2000 when a guy from MI hit The Big Game for his share of $365M - he bought a coney dog with a $100 bill and put his change on BG tickets - so there's 9 tickets with 10 lines and 1 with 8... It could just be a scary similarity between the recent winners, but anyone who would say that is probably trying to iscourage others from buying multiple tickets and tying up the machine... IDK.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
          Oklahoma
          United States
          Member #82391
          November 12, 2009
          6290 Posts
          Posted: March 26, 2012, 9:03 am - IP Logged

not true txwinr, there have been several winners that purchased $1, $2 $3 & $4 tickets including Mrs. White who bought 3 powerball with powerplay so she only played 3 lines... remember all it takes is one ticket.

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11975 Posts
            Posted: March 26, 2012, 9:06 am - IP Logged

Lottery games are a WIN OR LOSE situation no matter how many tickets you buy. Oh, I'm sorry, they say that if you buy all the combinations in a particular lottery game, you are certain to win the jackpot.

Left Coast
              United States
              Member #122298
              January 28, 2012
              125 Posts
              Posted: March 26, 2012, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

That's somewhere between rumor and anecdote. I don't know if anyone keeps that statistic and I'd they do, I don't see it being publicly available.

However, has anyone heard a winner story for someone who had 100's or 1,000's of tickets on a single draw?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19816 Posts
                Posted: March 26, 2012, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

That's somewhere between rumor and anecdote. I don't know if anyone keeps that statistic and I'd they do, I don't see it being publicly available.

However, has anyone heard a winner story for someone who had 100's or 1,000's of tickets on a single draw?

I thought every LP member had read about Jack Whittaker, the largest ever single PB jackpot winner who's trouble started when he bought $100 worth of PB tickets.(PB was $1 per ticket then and no PP)

There was also the swimming pool installer in Michigan who shared the largest MM jackpot up to that time with another winner in Illinois that said he brought a hotdog at a gas station and decided to buy MM lottery tickets with the change from a $100 bill he used to pay for his hotdog.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Left Coast
                  United States
                  Member #122298
                  January 28, 2012
                  125 Posts
                  Posted: March 26, 2012, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

I thought every LP member had read about Jack Whittaker, the largest ever single PB jackpot winner who's trouble started when he bought $100 worth of PB tickets.(PB was $1 per ticket then and no PP)

There was also the swimming pool installer in Michigan who shared the largest MM jackpot up to that time with another winner in Illinois that said he brought a hotdog at a gas station and decided to buy MM lottery tickets with the change from a $100 bill he used to pay for his hotdog.

Ah... Good examples. Thanks.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19816 Posts
                    Posted: March 26, 2012, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Most clerks have never seen a jackpot winning tickets because most jackpot winners if they have any sense head straight for lottery headquarters to cash their tickets.

A couple of years ago when I match 4+0 in MM, the clerk said that was the largest MM or PB win she had ever seen and she had been a clerk for at least six months.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: March 26, 2012, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

It's probably just a coincidence. I remember May 9, 2000 when a guy from MI hit The Big Game for his share of $365M - he bought a coney dog with a $100 bill and put his change on BG tickets - so there's 9 tickets with 10 lines and 1 with 8... It could just be a scary similarity between the recent winners, but anyone who would say that is probably trying to iscourage others from buying multiple tickets and tying up the machine... IDK.

Do you know that he got 5 lines per ticket?  I know some people who are just crazy enough to make the clerk print each line on a separate ticket.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                        Member #13130
                        March 30, 2005
                        2171 Posts
                        Posted: March 26, 2012, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

I'd prefer it be Blue Angel me, but ...

Imagine if Jack wins again, on Tuesday. Green laugh

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #104853
                          January 21, 2011
                          159 Posts
                          Posted: March 26, 2012, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

I don't see how this would be the case.  The MegaMillions draw is still done by classic ball draw so it wouldn't make a difference how many lines you have on a ticket.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                            TX
                            United States
                            Member #121193
                            January 4, 2012
                            1637 Posts
                            Posted: March 26, 2012, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Might want to ask that clerk how Chris Shaw won the 258 Mil Powerball back in April of 2010......"After work, Shaw purchased a soda, cigarettes and $5 worth of Powerball plays using Quick Pick. The very last combination on his ticket – 11, 34, 41, 49, 55 and Powerball 20 – was the winner.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                              Whiskey Island
                              United States
                              Member #90216
                              April 24, 2010
                              12727 Posts
                              Posted: March 26, 2012, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

It does not matter if you buy 1 ticket or 10,000 tickets . All that matters is if you have the Winning combination on your Ticket ~!!