Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The Curse of the Lottery !!

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 5 years ago by GYM RICE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
Whiskey Island
United States
Member #90216
April 24, 2010
12743 Posts
Posted: March 27, 2012, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

What will you do different from other Lottery Winners who lost it all ?

Would you let the Money Rule you ? Are you Rule the Money ?

How will you handle the people who want hand outs ?

Are family/relatives who thinkyou owe them part of your  Jackpot Winnings ???

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: March 27, 2012, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Keep it all. LLC, Trust fund. No one knows anything.   Razz

United States
      Member #124814
      March 20, 2012
      219 Posts
      Posted: March 27, 2012, 4:27 pm - IP Logged

My immediate family and a couple of my close cousins will be taken of, but the rest will have to fair on their own. My biggest fear is how such events would affect my immediate family. It'd absolutely kill me if anything happened to them because of what I had won. I will definitely be buying them houses in good, well guarded neighborhoods. And I hope they would have the smarts not to get themselves into bad situations. We'll hopefully stick close together like we have our entire lives.

Like someone on here said before, in terms of charities, if you contact me, I'm putting you on my no-donate list. I will let that be known. I will have my own ways of giving back to the world.

There's just no possible way for me to blow that kind of money, unless I get sued up the rear. No doubt people will be gunning for me. I'll put myself into the best possible situations, but some of that is just out of my control. Can't control what other people do.

Bronx, NY
        United States
        Member #124198
        March 8, 2012
        105 Posts
        Posted: March 27, 2012, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

My dad would 100% be taken care of.  I'd probably take him with me to the lottery office and let him claim half the prize.  I would give to my 3 siblings  and only like 2 cousins.  I only have 3 friends that I would want to give to.  But I would make sure they all knew/understood that this is a ONE time gift.  They are never to ask me for money, unless its because of some life-threatening situation.  Everyone else can kick rocks as far as I'm concerned.  If I haven't spoken to you in more than a year, then we clearly have nothing to discuss.  It would be up to my dad to decide who he would give to out of his share.  But nobody outside of my list is getting much out of me.

wisconsin
          United States
          Member #124498
          March 14, 2012
          6 Posts
          Posted: March 27, 2012, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Definitely trust fund so nobody knows about me winning. Then split equally among my parents, my brother, my boyfriend, and me. Then each one of us can go help/give money to whoever else we want to help....But yeah, I would split 5...wouldn't want to hold everything to myself. After that, i would still continue my schooling, still live in my cheap apartment, and would invest 1/5 of my share into stock, 1/5 into bonds, 1/5 to buy gold,  and put 2/5 into banks and collect the small interest. :D call me safe but I would not want to do anything risky....

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
            Winning makes me smile.
            bel air maryland
            United States
            Member #90251
            April 24, 2010
            4874 Posts
            Posted: March 27, 2012, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

No publicity if at all possible. But with a $363 million jackpot that would be difficult. Everyone will want to know who won.

But if you wait for all the hoopla to die down before you claim your winnings, of course everyone will be wondering why and think something fishy is going on. 

I would take care of family but after that no one knows a thing. The less said the better.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
              Whiskey Island
              United States
              Member #90216
              April 24, 2010
              12743 Posts
              Posted: March 27, 2012, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

Thank you all for the Great Responses !!!!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6290 Posts
                Posted: March 27, 2012, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

What will you do different from other Lottery Winners who lost it all ? wait at least 3 months to claim then claim via trust/ seek financial advisersWink

Would you let the Money Rule you ? No  Are you Rule the Money ? Yes i'm not scared of moneyWink

How will you handle the people who want hand outs ? they wouldn't know Wink

Are family/relatives who thinkyou owe them part of your  Jackpot Winnings ??? No but i will take care of my immediate family onlySmile

I Love Pink & Green 1908

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                  Lavender Rocket

United States
                  Member #124616
                  March 16, 2012
                  2642 Posts
                  Posted: March 28, 2012, 5:21 am - IP Logged

Start with ALOT of prayer and fasting.  Then move on to making small moves for the 1st year.  Minimal amount set aside to spend in year 1 then plan and pray.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: March 28, 2012, 3:52 pm - IP Logged

With this particular pot I'd give everybody in the family a nice chunk o' change. Even the ones I ain't too crazy about. All my friends too.

If there's consequences for being nice to people, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: March 28, 2012, 4:26 pm - IP Logged

Caj......Good questions you posed.

1) Invest 20% and live off the interest gained, never touching the principal
                      2) I will let the advisors rule the money. Course I may take 10 million and live comfortably off that over the next 20-25 years.
                      3) Will gladly tell the folks "no, moneys been divided up already"
                      4) I will give certain members more than others. The rest get the 13/26 K as allowed by the IRS for 2012.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                        Washington State
                        United States
                        Member #33973
                        February 26, 2006
                        347 Posts
                        Posted: March 28, 2012, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

I've lived well within my means all my life, and now that I'm in that category referred to as "elderly," I really don't think millions or hundreds of millions would change that.  I'd claim any major lottery jackpot in trust or through an LLC, with my attorney presenting his face to the public and attempting to keep my name out of it.  In my state one can do that, but because of the open record law, it is possible that someone could file for the record of beneficiaries of the trust and my name might come out later.  However, I expect that the delays involved might allow me to move out of town and to a gated community before they would find me.

My family members are not money-hungry people with their hands out.  Those of us in my generation all grew up believing that anything we might inherit or be gifted was a bonus; our only "right" was to what we earned.  The others behaved in that way after family deaths where there were assets at stake and there were no squabbles. 

I would, however, be generous with large lump sum gifts to my five siblings and stepson, the size depending upon the size of the jackpot.  With the  younger generation (all of whom are now over 40), I don't feel I know their financial management habits well enough to give any lump sum over maybe $200,000.  With a large jackpot of $100 million, I'd be more likely to set up a trust for them and they would get their hands on only the income from the trust each year, rather than having any direct say over handling of principal.

I've give a high percentage to charity, but it would be planned, not willy nilly as some previous jackpot winners have done.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                          North Carolina
                          United States
                          Member #64582
                          September 1, 2008
                          347 Posts
                          Posted: March 28, 2012, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Caj......Good questions you posed.

1) Invest 20% and live off the interest gained, never touching the principal
                          2) I will let the advisors rule the money. Course I may take 10 million and live comfortably off that over the next 20-25 years.
                          3) Will gladly tell the folks "no, moneys been divided up already"
                          4) I will give certain members more than others. The rest get the 13/26 K as allowed by the IRS for 2012.

This is exactly how I am planning it. Although I'm thinking of investing 50% of it at least.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: March 28, 2012, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

Whoever wins this one might consider some Kidnap & Ransom insurance.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                              United States
                              Member #112968
                              June 29, 2011
                              3856 Posts
                              Posted: March 28, 2012, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Whoever wins this one might consider some Kidnap & Ransom insurance.

yea, or some isolation w/ lots of guns.

or both.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.