Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Interesting conversation in the elevator

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 5 years ago by James1.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bronx, NY
United States
Member #124198
March 8, 2012
105 Posts
Posted: March 30, 2012, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I was in the elevator coming up and there were a bunch of people in there (two other elevators broke down this morning).  Anyway, of course the subject of the lotto came up as we kept stopping at practically every floor.  One guy said he only bought 2 tickets, and if he can't win with those 2 then he probably wouldn't have won if he bough 50-60 tickets.  Another guy said he was going out to get more tickets after he had already spent like $20. LOL.  Then the 2 ticket guy said he doesn't even need to win the jackpot.  He would be happy with $250,000 just so he could pay his bills and take a nice vacation.  A lady that was coming on to the elevator overheard the tail end of the convo and said "$250,000 aint nothing.  You'd be done with it before you even knew you had it."

I think I would have some mixed emotions about winning 2nd prize.  I mean $250,000 is nothing to sneeze at, and its about $249,999 more than I have in my pocket right now, but I think I would have some level of disappointment at missing HALF A BILLION by only one number.  I'd always be wondering "what if".

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Indiana
    United States
    Member #104853
    January 21, 2011
    159 Posts
    Posted: March 30, 2012, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

This is why I use the Megaplier (or Powerplay) on all the tickets that I buy.  You might lose twice as much if you lose but you'll gain at up to 4x more when you win.  But truth be told even in this economy winning $1million in a lottery doesn't make you rich by a longshot considering how much is taking out for taxes.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3850 Posts
      Posted: March 30, 2012, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

This is why I use the Megaplier (or Powerplay) on all the tickets that I buy.  You might lose twice as much if you lose but you'll gain at up to 4x more when you win.  But truth be told even in this economy winning $1million in a lottery doesn't make you rich by a longshot considering how much is taking out for taxes.

WTG on the MP.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: March 30, 2012, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: March 30, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind $5000...  Makes a nice vacation.

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: March 30, 2012, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be too awfully disappointed with the 250K.  Yeah it would be gone, but I'd have something to show for it, mostly a nicely remodeled home and enough in the bank to buy a new car when this one dies.  Peace of mind goes a long ways even if $250K doesn't.  Wink

Jack-C's avatar - us
              San Diego, CA
              United States
              Member #61467
              May 24, 2008
              28146 Posts
              Posted: March 30, 2012, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

I was in the elevator coming up and there were a bunch of people in there (two other elevators broke down this morning).  Anyway, of course the subject of the lotto came up as we kept stopping at practically every floor.  One guy said he only bought 2 tickets, and if he can't win with those 2 then he probably wouldn't have won if he bough 50-60 tickets.  Another guy said he was going out to get more tickets after he had already spent like $20. LOL.  Then the 2 ticket guy said he doesn't even need to win the jackpot.  He would be happy with $250,000 just so he could pay his bills and take a nice vacation.  A lady that was coming on to the elevator overheard the tail end of the convo and said "$250,000 aint nothing.  You'd be done with it before you even knew you had it."

I think I would have some mixed emotions about winning 2nd prize.  I mean $250,000 is nothing to sneeze at, and its about $249,999 more than I have in my pocket right now, but I think I would have some level of disappointment at missing HALF A BILLION by only one number.  I'd always be wondering "what if".

I just learned a trick that police use for elevators.  Press and HOLD the "Door Close" button.  Then when the door closes, continue holding the button and press and HOLD the button for the floor you want.  Keep holding them until you get to your floor.  The elevator will skip all the other floors! I haven't tried it, but it would be worth a try.

Megami's avatar - JessicaGun
                Nassau BaHAMAS
                Bahamas
                Member #84728
                January 2, 2010
                381 Posts
                Posted: March 30, 2012, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I'm just glad I'm in it to win even if its only 250k I'd be happy and debt free

Megami  398 Wink

Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #76087
                  June 18, 2009
                  859 Posts
                  Posted: March 30, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't be too awfully disappointed with the 250K.  Yeah it would be gone, but I'd have something to show for it, mostly a nicely remodeled home and enough in the bank to buy a new car when this one dies.  Peace of mind goes a long ways even if $250K doesn't.  Wink

Totally.  I would be thrilled with $5000 or $10,000, to be able to get caught up on some bills, eliminate some debt.  I would be very thankful for it, and life would be better.

And I would keep going on my state games, because I enjoy playing numbers, and I don't believe for a second that I can win something only once in life.  So the MegaMillions Mega-Craze is practically meaningless to me, except as a study in human psychology - an embrace of the "all or nothing" belief system.

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #104435
                    January 14, 2011
                    2244 Posts
                    Posted: March 30, 2012, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

That lady would probably blow through the money in a few months and be broke again. Just like I heard a JANITOR at 7-11 today say about our FLA lotto jackpot of $7 Million compared to the Mega Millions jackpot "$7 Mil is chump change. I only play when the jackpot is $100 million or more" So a million let alone $7 million is not good enough for ya ? What?

2014 Highest Winner: $500