Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

5 Reasons You Don't Really Want to Win all that Lottery Money

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 5 years ago by time*treat.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ameriken's avatar - 33ojew2
Denver, Co
United States
Member #103046
December 29, 2010
546 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2012, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Reason 6: Your personality. Would it change? Can you still be the same person you were when you only had $10 bucks in your pocket? 

I also think of "personal" safety. Wouldn't you always feel as if someone were watching you...that everyone knew you're this big winner? (even if they don't, you may feel self-concious) That alone gives me the creeps. Maybe I'm just paranoid,lol. I might have to hire me a big ole hunky bodyguard. (Kevin Costner...are you free?) 

lol, yet we still buy tickets. Big Smile

Give someone a fish and feed them for a day. Teach them to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks. 

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3854 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2012, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

Reason 6: Your personality. Would it change? Can you still be the same person you were when you only had $10 bucks in your pocket? 

I also think of "personal" safety. Wouldn't you always feel as if someone were watching you...that everyone knew you're this big winner? (even if they don't, you may feel self-concious) That alone gives me the creeps. Maybe I'm just paranoid,lol. I might have to hire me a big ole hunky bodyguard. (Kevin Costner...are you free?) 

just because you're paranoid does'nt mean they're not after you.

get a .357 mag and practice sayin "do ya feel lucky punk ?  LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2012, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

Twitch

United States
        Member #111442
        May 25, 2011
        6323 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2012, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

Twitch

Naughty

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20108 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2012, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

What each and everyone who plays the Lottery in a state that doesn't allow the individuals to remain anonymous needs to do is contact your state represenative and tell them enough is enough. You should have the choice to either represent yourself or be represented.

You pay for this why not have a voice in it?

No, it won't take a lot of other things away that are associated with winning, but it will make your lifestyle a little easier as long as the individual doesn't let it be known that they are wealthy.....

Think..!

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Bronx, NY
            United States
            Member #124198
            March 8, 2012
            105 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2012, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

Is it just me or does anyone else find the story behind reason #1 petty? I can only speak for myself but if I won millions a 60$ bill at a resturant would be nothing to me . Whats the point of having a whole lot of money if you dont have people to share it with ? I totally understand not wanting friends to become mooches but thats the responsiblity of the person that has the money to draw the line. Idk Im a pretty generous person so if I ever won some big money my real friends would be pretty much set.

I generally agree.  I wouldn't have a problem footing the bill for my friends especially if I am the one who invited them to dinner or whatever.  My issue comes in when they expect me to pay when its just a regular night out.  The expectation just seems like they are taking advantage. 

I am not concerned by any of those "reasons".  I think I have a pretty good head on my shoulders, so I am more than willing to "roll the dice" and see what happens with a big jackpot lottery win.

Ga
              United States
              Member #120454
              December 20, 2011
              141 Posts
              Posted: April 1, 2012, 12:21 am - IP Logged

It was a .44 mag.

Ga
                United States
                Member #120454
                December 20, 2011
                141 Posts
                Posted: April 1, 2012, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Yeah this is a good one. It could cause the rest to happen.  If you have a Dr. Jekyll\ Mr. Hyde complex, having $100 million fall in your lap can make him appear.

The personal safety issue is why If I win I'm claiming in a trust LLC partnership etc. anything to keep my name and face out of newspapers. Anonymity is better than a whole security firm.

Elgin, IL
                  United States
                  Member #93542
                  July 2, 2010
                  318 Posts
                  Posted: April 1, 2012, 12:36 am - IP Logged

I read it yesterday. HIGHlarious. I bet there's over a thousand reasons why rich will always be better than poor.

East of Columbus, OH
                    United States
                    Member #120843
                    December 28, 2011
                    447 Posts
                    Posted: April 1, 2012, 9:24 am - IP Logged

I can see that it would put a great strain on a relationship, especially one already in trouble.  If you have a plan and stick to your plan, you can find a way to make it work.  As for friends taking advantage, I think we all know people in our lives that would want to take advantage and ones that would not.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: April 1, 2012, 9:51 am - IP Logged

What each and everyone who plays the Lottery in a state that doesn't allow the individuals to remain anonymous needs to do is contact your state represenative and tell them enough is enough. You should have the choice to either represent yourself or be represented.

You pay for this why not have a voice in it?

No, it won't take a lot of other things away that are associated with winning, but it will make your lifestyle a little easier as long as the individual doesn't let it be known that they are wealthy.....

Think..!

Good point, MADDOG10.

Once again, the need is there for the Jackpot Winners Protection Program.

Someone else represents the winners, all corresspondence goes through them, etc....

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NH
                        United States
                        Member #83352
                        December 5, 2009
                        223 Posts
                        Posted: April 1, 2012, 3:45 pm - IP Logged

I always told myself if I'm lucky enough to win a very large jackpot and someone came after me with a lawsuit that was bogus, I'd turn it into a very public nightmare for the person doing it and never let up on the person until they have nothing. Lottery winners have to turn the tables and make examples out of the s that do crap like this...Instead of sitting back and being a victim, I'd take a % of the win and go on the offensive for stuff like this.

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3854 Posts
                          Posted: April 1, 2012, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

oh yea, 44. mag. the worlds most powerful handgun,

can almost hear dirty harry sayin it.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3854 Posts
                            Posted: April 1, 2012, 3:54 pm - IP Logged

I always told myself if I'm lucky enough to win a very large jackpot and someone came after me with a lawsuit that was bogus, I'd turn it into a very public nightmare for the person doing it and never let up on the person until they have nothing. Lottery winners have to turn the tables and make examples out of the s that do crap like this...Instead of sitting back and being a victim, I'd take a % of the win and go on the offensive for stuff like this.

WTG make em sorry they got the idea.

NH
                              United States
                              Member #83352
                              December 5, 2009
                              223 Posts
                              Posted: April 1, 2012, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

WTG make em sorry they got the idea.

Yes:) and that includes any and all lawyers...I'd have a couple PI's on the staff and have them dig up as much as they can about anyone suing me. I actually think it could be a lot of fun going on the offensive like that. One of the first things I might do is give my local Police and Fire a very large donation. Having those people on your side when others might be trying to sue you couldn't hurt.