Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Vs Mega Millions

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ressuccess.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you think Powerball Game is losing to Mega Millions

Yes [ 10 ]  [55.56%]
No [ 3 ]  [16.67%]
Yes because it cost more [ 5 ]  [27.78%]
Total Valid Votes [ 18 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Elkins,WV
United States
Member #3210
January 3, 2004
66 Posts
Posted: April 2, 2012, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

I think Powerball was the big loser this month with the record Mega Millions Jackpot Mega Millions keeps getting better with the constant changes to it. Powerball is always changing and now costing more and not producing bigger jackspot in fact someone is hitting it around $70 million this time.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
    NYC
    United States
    Member #117984
    October 19, 2011
    1843 Posts
    Posted: April 2, 2012, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes and no. MM has bigger, better jackpots (not anymore) but PB is producing 60, 70 million dollar winners. It's a tie. ;)

Morrison, IL
      United States
      Member #4657
      May 13, 2004
      1884 Posts
      Posted: April 2, 2012, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Powerball is definitely losing because of its higher ticket price.  In terms of dollar amounts, PB is clearly smoking Mega Millions, but in terms of number of tickets sold, Mega Millions has the upper hand now, whereas immediately after the cross-selling agreement two years ago up until PB doubled its ticket price, PB sold more tickets than MM given the same jackpot level (even if you go by the cash jackpots).

---

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
        Member #13130
        March 30, 2005
        2171 Posts
        Posted: April 2, 2012, 11:52 pm - IP Logged

I think Powerball was the big loser this month with the record Mega Millions Jackpot Mega Millions keeps getting better with the constant changes to it. Powerball is always changing and now costing more and not producing bigger jackspot in fact someone is hitting it around $70 million this time.

Losing what, exactly? What?

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
        Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #99032
          October 18, 2010
          1439 Posts
          Posted: April 3, 2012, 12:38 am - IP Logged

It's just variance, that happened to favor the players so far in PB.

Over time the trend will probably die down, we'll see less winners and bigger Jackpots.

Elkins,WV
            United States
            Member #3210
            January 3, 2004
            66 Posts
            Posted: April 3, 2012, 1:08 am - IP Logged

Losing players Powerball is constantly tweeks it's game with awful results this last time raising it price by 1.00 will be the death ail for them , I know people who now play Mega Millions instead of Powerbal now.

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: April 3, 2012, 1:36 am - IP Logged

Losing players Powerball is constantly tweeks it's game with awful results this last time raising it price by 1.00 will be the death ail for them , I know people who now play Mega Millions instead of Powerbal now.

Ah, well I play MM more than PB, too, since the PB price rise.

Since MUSL runs both games, the question becomes does the ice cream man really care which flavor you prefer just as long as you keep buying?

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

East of Columbus, OH
                United States
                Member #120843
                December 28, 2011
                449 Posts
                Posted: April 3, 2012, 3:36 am - IP Logged

Since MUSL runs both games, the question becomes does the ice cream man really care which flavor you prefer just as long as you keep buying?

I just wonder how long it will be before the ice cream man decides they should all be $2?

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

Morrison, IL
                  United States
                  Member #4657
                  May 13, 2004
                  1884 Posts
                  Posted: April 3, 2012, 7:44 am - IP Logged

It's just variance, that happened to favor the players so far in PB.

Over time the trend will probably die down, we'll see less winners and bigger Jackpots.

Oh yeah, I remember this happened to Powerball seven years ago this time.  At the time, the opening jackpot was $10 million, and there were seven winners of jackpots < $45 million in a three month span.  However, after it ended, PB came back and rolled sixteen times to a jackpot of $220 million, which was a big deal at the time.  Sixteen rolls of the current PB structure will put the game at a new record jackpot, as I highly doubt the pot will increase by only $10 million once it gets past five draws without a winner.

---

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                    Oklahoma
                    United States
                    Member #82391
                    November 12, 2009
                    6290 Posts
                    Posted: April 3, 2012, 8:28 am - IP Logged

I voted yes..... even though I would take $60-$70 million in a heart beat!!!!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7309 Posts
                      Posted: April 3, 2012, 10:57 am - IP Logged

"the question becomes does the ice cream man really care which flavor you prefer just as long as you keep buying?"

I was looking at the state ticket sales for the last two MM drawings and it's obvious it had an impact on their other games, but the extra profits still ended up in the same pockets. When buying tickets, most players only look at the jackpot so if they have choose between MM and PB, the choice will always be the larger jackpot.

I haven't seen any "How will you spend the $12 million MM jackpot?" threads started.

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                        Dayton OH
                        United States
                        Member #124697
                        March 18, 2012
                        251 Posts
                        Posted: April 3, 2012, 11:14 am - IP Logged

I do not even play PB any longer all my money goes into MM thanks to the increase in price.

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7309 Posts
                          Posted: April 3, 2012, 11:25 am - IP Logged

I just wonder how long it will be before the ice cream man decides they should all be $2?

Most states started selling $5, $10, and even $20 scratch-offs years ago but they all are still selling $1 tickets. Pick 3 and pick 4 games still offer 50 cent bets. Some people believe $2 PB is a better bet because the 5 + 0 payoff is $1 million, but Megaplier guarantees the same with lower odds against winning.

If MM does go to $2 tickets it will be because the players only look at the size of the jackpot and the price of one ticket and/or the odds against winning are irrelevant.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #55889
                            October 23, 2007
                            5595 Posts
                            Posted: April 3, 2012, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Most states started selling $5, $10, and even $20 scratch-offs years ago but they all are still selling $1 tickets. Pick 3 and pick 4 games still offer 50 cent bets. Some people believe $2 PB is a better bet because the 5 + 0 payoff is $1 million, but Megaplier guarantees the same with lower odds against winning.

If MM does go to $2 tickets it will be because the players only look at the size of the jackpot and the price of one ticket and/or the odds against winning are irrelevant.

With the success of those high dollar scratchers, and with PB going to $2, we will see state lotteries introducing new games at the $2 price point. The Tx Lottery Commission even admitted in their meeting minutes that they are looking for ways to charge $2 a ticket for new games, with the introduction of their new game later this year.

I didn't mind the PB going to $2 because I was playing the powerplay. But I'm not interested in paying $2 for a game that pays $250K, unless I choose to play extra lines to pay the extra $.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                              Indiana
                              United States
                              Member #48725
                              January 7, 2007
                              1953 Posts
                              Posted: April 4, 2012, 4:54 am - IP Logged

Mega Millions just rolled to $20M. That's quite a bit more than what it usually rolls.

Gonna win.Big Smile