Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dumb Question

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 5 years ago by skio.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #126292
April 6, 2012
2 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2012, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, probably a dumb question but I want to be 100% sure instead of 99%.

If I play the same 5 white ball numbers multiple times on Mega Millions and hit all five but miss the megaball, do I win $250,00.00 or $250,000.00 times the number of times I played the same white balls on a ticket?

And is the same true for Power Ball, except it would be 1 mil per play, of course.

I know you win multiple times on the smaller winnings, but again, just checking before I win...lol

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
    Member #52345
    May 21, 2007
    2659 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2012, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

If I play the same 5 white ball numbers multiple times on Mega Millions and hit all five but miss the megaball, do I win $250,00.00 or $250,000.00 times the number of times I played the same white balls on a ticket?

And is the same true for Power Ball, except it would be 1 mil per play, of course.

I know you win multiple times on the smaller winnings, but again, just checking before I win...lol

only dumb question is one not asked and I think 5 whites R $ 250k

welcome to the LP .... just remember we reserve the right to pick on newbies

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
      upstate NY
      United States
      Member #108791
      March 31, 2011
      549 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2012, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

You should get the $250K for each line that has the matching 5 white balls.

Patriot

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: April 6, 2012, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

My high school geometry teacher once told me "There are no dumb questions, only dumb students."

Then he raised one eyebrow and stared at me for about a minute without saying a word.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: April 6, 2012, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

My high school geometry teacher once told me "There are no dumb questions, only dumb students."

Then he raised one eyebrow and stared at me for about a minute without saying a word.

and even so i think you could shoot a good game on a green felt table, why is that ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: April 6, 2012, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP okplayer.......Thumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
              Kentucky
              United States
              Member #35086
              March 12, 2006
              10374 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2012, 1:37 am - IP Logged

LOL

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #35086
                March 12, 2006
                10374 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2012, 1:55 am - IP Logged

and even so i think you could shoot a good game on a green felt table, why is that ?

I  had  a  good  friend  one  time  that  was  a  real  good  pool  shot

He   was  so  good  that  he  thought  he  couldnt  be  beat

Then  he walked in a bar one nite  on  a  slow  nite and  only  the  owner  was  there

They  got  to  betting  on  games of pool  him and the owner

The   owner   beat  my  friend  three  games in a roll........ using only a  mop  handle  and  he  only  had  one  arm

My   friend  never  did  shoot  pool  too   much  after  that  anymore

He swore to me it was a true story.......dont  know  if  it  was  or  not.........but   it  sure  was  funny     Smile

He  passed  away  at   55........he  was  a  natural  born   comedian

I  am  sure  God  took  him..........because  He  needed  some  laughs

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #35086
                  March 12, 2006
                  10374 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2012, 2:39 am - IP Logged

Not  a   dumb   question   at   all

You  will  win  the   250,000    for    "   each    "    separate   ticket  you  have  the   5  of  5  on

Buy  the  megaplier  for  an   extra  dollar   (  2.00  total  )  and  hit  the  5  of  5  and  win  a  guaranteed     One  million    (  for  each  ticket  you  do  that  on )

Same  holds    true   for   Powerball

It  happened  recently  in  Powerball    on  multiple   tickets   by  two  veterans  if  I  remember correct

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2012, 2:47 am - IP Logged

it depends on who wins the jackpot, whether its usuefull to have mutiple lines with the same numbers.

for instance if you dhared the jackpot with 3 other like the recent MM draw, and had bought 2 x the same  winning numbers , you would receive half the jackpot, while the other 2 guys would only get 1/4 eac.

instead of 1/3's ea if you only had 1 ticket

if you had bought 5 , then your share would be 5/7 and theirs 1/7 each.

if you won the jackpot on your  own., then there would be no benefit to the multiple tickets.  excet maybe you could hand them out to loved ones, and fellow LP forum mebers. ;)

as to you original question lol,  each line of numbers is eligble to 1 prize. you are betting on 1 set of numbers  to win for $1 , each $1 bet entitles you to 1 sshare of the winning prize.

so betting say $10 on the same numbers is 10x shares of any prize, jackpot, $250k whatever.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

lotsofwins's avatar - half planet.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #114703
                      August 5, 2011
                      4623 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2012, 3:53 am - IP Logged

ok player-I think most of the people who answered have it correct, however I think if there are other people who also win the 250,000 second prize that you would not have to split that, I think it only applies to the jackpot, example, say you played

05,12,13,24,44, 28
                      and played that 3 times

then say the draw was

05,12,13,24,44, but ball was 22

you would win 250,000 times however many times you played it, even if other people also won that, in addition I believe you would win 1 million with pb, however lets say in the above instance that you won the jack pot but 5 other people won as well and the jackpot was 71 million, you would split that 6 ways....

skio's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
                        Ancona
                        Italy
                        Member #125985
                        April 1, 2012
                        570 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2012, 8:29 am - IP Logged

SmashBig Grin

...so I find my lottery earnings much useful......because spendable !!ROFL

adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2012, 8:39 am - IP Logged

oh hell yeah i didnt make that clear ,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2012, 8:48 am - IP Logged

ok player-I think most of the people who answered have it correct, however I think if there are other people who also win the 250,000 second prize that you would not have to split that, I think it only applies to the jackpot, example, say you played

05,12,13,24,44, 28
                            and played that 3 times

then say the draw was

05,12,13,24,44, but ball was 22

you would win 250,000 times however many times you played it, even if other people also won that, in addition I believe you would win 1 million with pb, however lets say in the above instance that you won the jack pot but 5 other people won as well and the jackpot was 71 million, you would split that 6 ways....

lol  we are  both messing up a little.

i dont see how hew would win 1 mill with power ball if his was 28 and the drawn pb was 22.

then you say

however lets say in the above instance that you won the jack pot but 5 other people won as well and the jackpot was 71 million, you would split that 6 ways....

i assume you mean he had entered the 3 tickets with 28 as pb, and 28 was also drawn meaning he had 3 winning lines .  the share with 5 other people would mean 8 shares, 3 /8 to you and 1/8 for the other 5 guys

i think the term for this sort of payout is pari mutuel, and the jackpot is pari mutial, ie split amongst winners, and the rest of the prizes are not, ie ea winner gets that amount. like just the powerball = $4 or what ever. it aint split between 200 000 players

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11979 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:49 am - IP Logged

I thought that you were the lottery post wizard. Aren't you?

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!