Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 4:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Choosing How Much Money To (Try And) Win...

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by tntea.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1649 Posts
Posted: April 7, 2012, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

I chose this topic because it seems to be somewhat of a disease with most of the people I interact with...be it at the workplace, or, otherwise. I'm absolutely certain that at least a couple of people here knows someone that only wants to play the big games when they're waaaaaaay, waaaaaay up there in the money! I mean, I know people who actually played the PB for their second or third time due to the half billion dollar jackpot to be won!! This really, really, REALLY puzzles a man like me. Why? Well, it's like they're saying, " $100 million just ain't enough for me to win...so I'll wait 'till it get's up there pretty good and then I'll try." 

Really? Seriously? No joke? My question is always, "So, if you actually won the least amount of the jackpot, you'd just give it back because it's not worth it?" Then, there's a brief silence, and then, "Well, I didn't mean it like that." At this point, I don't even want to hear an explanation of the comment because it's totally irrelevant in my opinion. Now, granted, a person can do whatever they want with their monies...and how and WHEN. It's their right. But, what I'm getting at is a person's MIND SET regarding this type of money.

To me, this type of person is simply saying that fifty million, or so, will absolutely not fix all their problems and make them happy where they can actually retire if they want. For me, if I could hit our 6/54 for even 6 million, I'd be on top of the world!!!!! I'm really struggling with trying to understand this type of mind set with others who see such an amount as "unreasonable". Thus, they don't play for it.

I'd honestly like to read your points of views on this subject simply because it intrigues me. Is this being greedy, or, just making the win more "worth it"? Do these types of people win several million dollars regularly, and, it renders anything under $100 million totally pointless? Let's hear your thoughts...PLEASE.

L.L.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

It's pretty simple really - they're cheapskates.

It's not that $100 million ain't enough for 'em, it's that it's hard for 'em to part with a buck that they may never see again.

The lure of half a billion can shake the resolve of a lot of skinflints and tightwads though. For a buck anyway.

I know a guy in NY whose name I won't mention. I'll call him jellyman just for the sake of this story. He has said that he plans on spending exactly $20 on Powerball this year.

Now is that $20 the basis of some shrewd strategy to win Powerball?

No.

Jellyman is just a cheapskate.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      11982 Posts
      Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

I chose this topic because it seems to be somewhat of a disease with most of the people I interact with...be it at the workplace, or, otherwise. I'm absolutely certain that at least a couple of people here knows someone that only wants to play the big games when they're waaaaaaay, waaaaaay up there in the money! I mean, I know people who actually played the PB for their second or third time due to the half billion dollar jackpot to be won!! This really, really, REALLY puzzles a man like me. Why? Well, it's like they're saying, " $100 million just ain't enough for me to win...so I'll wait 'till it get's up there pretty good and then I'll try." 

Really? Seriously? No joke? My question is always, "So, if you actually won the least amount of the jackpot, you'd just give it back because it's not worth it?" Then, there's a brief silence, and then, "Well, I didn't mean it like that." At this point, I don't even want to hear an explanation of the comment because it's totally irrelevant in my opinion. Now, granted, a person can do whatever they want with their monies...and how and WHEN. It's their right. But, what I'm getting at is a person's MIND SET regarding this type of money.

To me, this type of person is simply saying that fifty million, or so, will absolutely not fix all their problems and make them happy where they can actually retire if they want. For me, if I could hit our 6/54 for even 6 million, I'd be on top of the world!!!!! I'm really struggling with trying to understand this type of mind set with others who see such an amount as "unreasonable". Thus, they don't play for it.

I'd honestly like to read your points of views on this subject simply because it intrigues me. Is this being greedy, or, just making the win more "worth it"? Do these types of people win several million dollars regularly, and, it renders anything under $100 million totally pointless? Let's hear your thoughts...PLEASE.

L.L.

What do you know about low playership versus high playership?

Let me try to explain it this way.

Higher jackpots= Higher playership=Higher #combinations being sold=Higher number of winners.

Remember Low playership versus High playership can be applied to the games odds etc.

New York sweet million game has better odds than ny lotto, MM, and PB but there is rarely any jackpot winners because of the low playership.

Member Jacal5 received the following email from the new York lottery. It explain low playership versus high playership. Maybe that will explain why some players like higher jackpot or certain games regardless of the odds of winning. http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/214432/3

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1649 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

What do you know about low playership versus high playership?

Let me try to explain it this way.

Higher jackpots= Higher playership=Higher #combinations being sold=Higher number of winners.

Remember Low playership versus High playership can be applied to the games odds etc.

New York sweet million game has better odds than ny lotto, MM, and PB but there is rarely any jackpot winners because of the low playership.

Member Jacal5 received the following email from the new York lottery. It explain low playership versus high playership. Maybe that will explain why some players like higher jackpot or certain games regardless of the odds of winning. http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/214432/3

Thrifty, this is well understood and accepted by me. However, the winning numbers can still be drawn at any point and time in the jackpot amount. The odds are for mathematical purposes only which I'm sure you know. People have won the minimum jackpots many times in Texas, and, elsewhere. Likewise, people have walked into convenience stores, purchased a high dollar scratch-off, and won a million dollars. They didn't wait until most all of the lower winners were won before they began to play. They came out of the gate purchasing upon inception of the game....and usually won pretty significantly.

In the end, I do understand your point. Remember, I posted why there were several winning tickets in regards to how many ticket were sold in in only (2) days. But, this doesn't offset why more people don't play when the pot is much lower.

L.L. 

NEW YORK
          United States
          Member #90535
          April 29, 2010
          11982 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Thrifty, this is well understood and accepted by me. However, the winning numbers can still be drawn at any point and time in the jackpot amount. The odds are for mathematical purposes only which I'm sure you know. People have won the minimum jackpots many times in Texas, and, elsewhere. Likewise, people have walked into convenience stores, purchased a high dollar scratch-off, and won a million dollars. They didn't wait until most all of the lower winners were won before they began to play. They came out of the gate purchasing upon inception of the game....and usually won pretty significantly.

In the end, I do understand your point. Remember, I posted why there were several winning tickets in regards to how many ticket were sold in in only (2) days. But, this doesn't offset why more people don't play when the pot is much lower.

L.L. 

You are right, I do not mind winning the MM $12M starting jackpot.

By the way here is the thread link to the email that jacal5 received from the ny lottery explaining the lack of jackpot winners in the sweet million game.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/214432/1699382

It explains low playership versus high playership

US Flag

Texas
            United States
            Member #86154
            January 30, 2010
            1649 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

It's pretty simple really - they're cheapskates.

It's not that $100 million ain't enough for 'em, it's that it's hard for 'em to part with a buck that they may never see again.

The lure of half a billion can shake the resolve of a lot of skinflints and tightwads though. For a buck anyway.

I know a guy in NY whose name I won't mention. I'll call him jellyman just for the sake of this story. He has said that he plans on spending exactly $20 on Powerball this year.

Now is that $20 the basis of some shrewd strategy to win Powerball?

No.

Jellyman is just a cheapskate.

Thanks, 'ridge. This does make sense. However, how much to spend isn't what I'm getting at. It's about when so many people decide that it's high enough for them to play. I assume they make so much money that several million won't help them...

L.L.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3856 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, 'ridge. This does make sense. However, how much to spend isn't what I'm getting at. It's about when so many people decide that it's high enough for them to play. I assume they make so much money that several million won't help them...

L.L.

L.L. naw, I know more than one person that won't play until it gets over 100mils.

i'm talking about folks that can easily afford a few bucks, but just can't part w/ it.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

NEW YORK
                United States
                Member #90535
                April 29, 2010
                11982 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

L.L.

HUMAN GREED.

US Flag

Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1649 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

You are right, I do not mind winning the MM $12M starting jackpot.

By the way here is the thread link to the email that jacal5 received from the ny lottery explaining the lack of jackpot winners in the sweet million game.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/214432/1699382

It explains low playership versus high playership

Thanks, buddy...and the numbers don't lie which is what I'm getting at. If more people played when the pot is lower, more winners would be realized more frequently due to total combination sales. Make sense? But, noooooo, most people just have to have over $100 million. See how my point is manifesting itself on its' own?

L.L.

Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1649 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

L.L. naw, I know more than one person that won't play until it gets over 100mils.

i'm talking about folks that can easily afford a few bucks, but just can't part w/ it.

Yeah, this is what I'm referring to...just common folk like you and me. We only wish we could win $12 million while they frown at it. I know I'm steppin' on some toes, but oh well....

L.L.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3856 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:56 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, this is what I'm referring to...just common folk like you and me. We only wish we could win $12 million while they frown at it. I know I'm steppin' on some toes, but oh well....

L.L.

you answer fast, i did edit, but i don't think it changes your reply.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        11982 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, buddy...and the numbers don't lie which is what I'm getting at. If more people played when the pot is lower, more winners would be realized more frequently due to total combination sales. Make sense? But, noooooo, most people just have to have over $100 million. See how my point is manifesting itself on its' own?

L.L.

Lottery players are naturally greedy when MM jumps to $40M.

PB raised the price $2 with a $40M starting jackpot because of it.

US Flag

United States
                          Member #116083
                          September 4, 2011
                          132 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Strong post i mean people are greedy thats what it comes down too.U said it best greed their minds can only think about what money means and what they can buy.Alot of lottery winners go broke because of greed.If u had that much money why wouldnt u help.Even if u go broke with ur lottery winnings i rather say i helped out rather than have stories of what my life use to be like.This is why most winners stories end in shame Lucky said it best GREED

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                            NY
                            United States
                            Member #121961
                            January 21, 2012
                            3157 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Some people would rather spend all their money on one game,  then spread it several weeks. Guess they don't think it could roll again.

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1649 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Some people would rather spend all their money on one game,  then spread it several weeks. Guess they don't think it could roll again.

Okay, that's fair enough...I'll take it. But, what if this person has missed out on $4-5million on a "regular old low jackpot" for trying to hit the several hundred million deal? Yeah, it's a BIG IF. But, let's assume that's it's happened. What if they went back and checked some old tickets and found that they won on the regular state lottery...

If you're having to walk everywhere you go, would you turn down a well-running, and given, 1980's vehicle in an effort to try and get a Bentley???

Hmmmmm.....

L.L.