Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 10:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should Illinois Keep Winners Anonymous?

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 5 years ago by dallascowboyfan.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Chicago
United States
Member #90131
April 22, 2010
38 Posts
Posted: April 16, 2012, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

Why is Illinois so backward on this?  Notice which state's MM winner hasn't come forward yet?  It's just ridiculous parading the winners in a press conference.   Are they waiting for a high profile kidnapping to change the law.  Write your representatives (or in Illinois buy a election campaign fund raiser ticket).  Now, if I could just figure out who my representative is...

Jerry B

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3857 Posts
    Posted: April 16, 2012, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Why is Illinois so backward on this?  Notice which state's MM winner hasn't come forward yet?  It's just ridiculous parading the winners in a press conference.   Are they waiting for a high profile kidnapping to change the law.  Write your representatives (or in Illinois buy a election campaign fund raiser ticket).  Now, if I could just figure out who my representative is...

Welcome to Lp jerryb*49,

why is jersey so backward on this ?

your pols. are very much like ours,

in fact our our last gov. Jon Corzine is from IL.

he bought he's senate seat here, $64 mils. and later the govs. office, $35mils.

the $s = campaign $ from his own pocket.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7344 Posts
      Posted: April 17, 2012, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

Because of the circumstances, I'd agree this jackpot winner should be allow to collect anonymously, but because of Illinois' repetition there are people that will say without a name and a picture holding the check, the jackpot winnings were going into the pockets of state officials. Even the mayor of Red Bud said "We'll finally get to see who this person is"; yeah, him and a thousand scammers and people looking for a hand out.

Many states have rules where prize winners are investigated for back taxes, child support, outstanding traffic violations and warrants. So even if the rules allow anonymity, many people will know the identity of the winner.

But all in all, I believe anyone winning over $600 in any state should have the right to as much privacy as possible.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: April 17, 2012, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

I don't know. I think Illinois is the one state I think I might want the winner to be made public if I lived there. With the democrats solidly in control of the whole state, it has come to be the most corrupt state in the nation. Everybody is on the take in that leftwing liberal snake pit.

I'd be more worried about one of the democrat politicians stealing the jackpot than I would about criminals and my own safety if I won. And you can bet your life if they think they can get away with stealing the jackpot, they will try it (the ones who aren't in jail already). 

That's why I'd want the winners to be made public in Illinois if I lived there or any other state infested with democrats.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: April 17, 2012, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

jerryb*49,

Illinois isn't the only state that doesn't allow anonymity, most don't. I thik there are only four that do (it's here on LP somewhere).

Recently I talked with a clerk that had some good points, the lotteries, and their rules, were around before the intrernet and Google and Google Earth and what have you. In the past when they disclosed winners names it wasn't like broadcasting them "to anyone and everyone" like it is now.

rdgrnr,

Illinois would be a red state if it wasn't for Cook County and Chicago, but ubfortunately that's all any Illinois politician needs to take an election.

Since Wisconsin changed it's mind about concelaed carry, Illinois is now the only state that doesn't allow it. This gets even more interesting, Illinois does not allow concelaed carry but requires any one who owns a gun or wants to buy a gun or ammo to obtain a FOID - Firearms Owner's Identification Card.

Not too long ago one of the communist liberal politicians wanted the state to print a list of every gun owner in the state. Thank goodness that didn't go through but what kind of lame idiot would even want it?

Now let's consider all this and think about a few years ago someone "downstate" (anywhere south of Chicago) won a jackpot and several times some wanna be thugs were arrested for trying to rob him - "That's the millionaire, let's get him", "That's where the millioinaire lives, let's wait for him to come out".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6305 Posts
            Posted: April 17, 2012, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to the LP jerryb*49

I Love Pink & Green 1908