Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 9:54 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where does everyone cash their tickets?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 5 years ago by PrisonerSix.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Luffy's avatar - Buggy mouth_closed.jpg
NC
United States
Member #123257
February 17, 2012
19 Posts
Posted: April 18, 2012, 2:12 am - IP Logged

When redeeming a prize for a ticket, I usually have a method to getting my prizes.

Any tickets with a prize range of $1-$50, I would usually go to a gas station or convience store.

Any tickets with a prize range of $75-$200, I would go to a big chain grocery store.

And anything between $200-$500, I would go to a cash and check bank to get the money.

I dont trust gas stations and small stores with any amount higher than $50. I also go during the daytime and avoid night time prize redeemation, too many shady people around.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
    The Ville, FL
    United States
    Member #95879
    August 19, 2010
    1708 Posts
    Posted: April 18, 2012, 11:39 am - IP Logged

When redeeming a prize for a ticket, I usually have a method to getting my prizes.

Any tickets with a prize range of $1-$50, I would usually go to a gas station or convience store.

Any tickets with a prize range of $75-$200, I would go to a big chain grocery store.

And anything between $200-$500, I would go to a cash and check bank to get the money.

I dont trust gas stations and small stores with any amount higher than $50. I also go during the daytime and avoid night time prize redeemation, too many shady people around.

Just curious, what do you mean by "Cash & Check bank"? Do you have certain banks in NC that cash Lottery tickets????

Luffy's avatar - Buggy mouth_closed.jpg
      NC
      United States
      Member #123257
      February 17, 2012
      19 Posts
      Posted: April 18, 2012, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

Its a place where you get checks cashed. They also sale lottery tickets, so yes they do give cash out for winning tickets.

LA CA
        United States
        Member #118691
        November 6, 2011
        416 Posts
        Posted: April 18, 2012, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

Its a place where you get checks cashed. They also sale lottery tickets, so yes they do give cash out for winning tickets.

hmmm not sure if this is true in CA.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
          The Ville, FL
          United States
          Member #95879
          August 19, 2010
          1708 Posts
          Posted: April 18, 2012, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Oh ok, so it's not a "Bank" then, it's a check cashing place
          Basically a "Payday advance" type place????

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: April 18, 2012, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I usually go back to the store that I bought it from or to a Grocery store...

I Love Pink & Green 1908

James1's avatar - 5599078405 12a562a9e7_t.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #104435
              January 14, 2011
              2244 Posts
              Posted: April 18, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

Stay away from dingy convenience stores when cashing a large amount of tickets. Ive been screwed more than once.

2014 Highest Winner: $500

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                Connecticut
                United States
                Member #61623
                May 29, 2008
                20581 Posts
                Posted: April 18, 2012, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

I asked a local store owner around here how much could he could usually cover assuming i can ever nail a str8 say 10 times @ $1 each.He said usually 8-10g's would be his limit.At times he has more cash on hand depending on buisness.It's one of those stores that also does western union and other stuff so he's got cash.I would never walk into a  grocery store here.There's usually souless folks sitting by the cigarette bin and some sit in the store staring at folks at the courtesy deskDead looking for a handout.

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #74096
                  May 2, 2009
                  23218 Posts
                  Posted: April 18, 2012, 9:10 pm - IP Logged

I can tell you where NOT to go...Turkey Hill...seems anything over $50, they want to give you a stinking money order. Don't get me wrong

I understand the money drop thing perfectly but with 20 people standing in line at any given time, that mass can take a gunman down.

Don't go to Giant after 8pm...I don't know where that monster of a grocery store puts their money but it's sure not in the lottery draw.

Don't go to my local grocery store...the hawk/clerk drains the cash draw buying all the tickets in the IVM and paying herself and if you have a

$200 winner, forget it, you get a check.

Now the good part....there's one place that always has money...the smokeshop...the place where they sell tobacco and lottery.

Priceless.

Baton Rouge, LA
                    United States
                    Member #4602
                    May 7, 2004
                    700 Posts
                    Posted: April 24, 2012, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

I do pretty much the same thing, as the big supermarkets usually have more cash available. One time I tried to redeem a $20 ticket at a small convenience store and had to wait for someone to buy a carton of cigarettes to get my money.  I don't play scratchers much so I don't get to redeem them very often.

The most I ever won on the lottery was $400 on Powerball. I went to a larger convenience store and they gave me money orders for it, which was OK with me since I don't like carrying that much cash around. I also prefer to redeem them during the day. 

I played some scratchers last week and won $34 and a free ticket, a $14 profit over what I spent. Not too shabby, so I may start playing them more often.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
                      Nashville, TN
                      United States
                      Member #86739
                      February 9, 2010
                      483 Posts
                      Posted: May 3, 2012, 5:17 pm - IP Logged

I'm the same way. I prefer grocery stores but for smaller denim. I wil go to a gas stn or smoke shop.

I'm pretty sure TN has laws about separating those check-cashing places from lotto sales because they never seem to be near each other.

Some cities have lotto sales in laundromats but I've never seen that either. Dollar General Stores USED to sell them but I don't think they do now. I think it was too hard on them.

My last and only $500 winner, a few weeks ago , I cashed at a gas station. I didn't even think about the money order and she gave me cash. I asked her first if she could cover it and she did so it went right to the jewelry store to upgrade my wife's wedding ring lol.  Gotta make momma happy!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: May 3, 2012, 6:29 pm - IP Logged

I must have no imagination.  It never crossed my mind to go anywhere other than where I purchased the ticket (unless required to go to Lottery Hqtrs because of prize amount).  Now y'all have given me something to chew on.

Baton Rouge, LA
                          United States
                          Member #4602
                          May 7, 2004
                          700 Posts
                          Posted: May 3, 2012, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

I wanted to add to my post. In Louisiana, if a store doesn't have enough cash, they can give you money orders for the prize. The store I mentioned did and I didn't have to pay for the money orders, even though I was willing to.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"