Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

10 Rules for playing scratchies

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 5 years ago by psykomo.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
Taunton, Ma
United States
Member #123005
February 11, 2012
136 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2012, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

1-always buy 2 at a time with the following 2 rules being the exceptions

2-always buy the last ticket in the book

3-always buy hangers (the ones that are off the book but wedged into the plastic because sum1 changed they're mind or the clerk pulled too many)

4-when a new game comes out play it as soon as u can as a jackpot winner always gets sold within the first week of a new game (i think for pr reasons they make sure of it)

5-don't stay in one place or on one game for too long, you will bury yourself, I've learned this the hard way.

6-play second chance games as you effectively double the bang for your gambling buck

7-check the trash for winners and 2nd chancers- more details on this in my blog

8-scratch the game entirely, dont just scratch the code as anything over $600 is the same as a losing code.

9-take your time to thouroghly check your ticket, if you throw away a winner, I will find it muahahaha!

10-don't be afraid to walk away from a bad book.

Scratchies for the win!

We are in a two-party dictatorship. You want change ? Vote third partyThumbs Up

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6305 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2012, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Bigheadnick for the infoThumbs Up you might want to post this in the Scratch of forum.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

rustysmom's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
      ohio
      United States
      Member #706
      September 14, 2002
      727 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2012, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

3-always buy hangers (the ones that are off the book but wedged into the plastic because sum1 changed they're mind or the clerk pulled too many)

4-when a new game comes out play it as soon as u can as a jackpot winner always gets sold within the first week of a new game (i think for pr reasons they make sure of it)

5-don't stay in one place or on one game for too long, you will bury yourself, I've learned this the hard way.

6-play second chance games as you effectively double the bang for your gambling buck

8-scratch the game entirely, dont just scratch the code as anything over $600 is the same as a losing code.

9-take your time to thouroghly check your ticket, if you throw away a winner, I will find it muahahaha!

I always try to buy the last ticket and hangers.  you need to ask some stores how they hang tickets, a noticed lately a few of stores i go to, start with  last ticket first, so when you think you are buying last one you are actually getting first one of book.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
        Texas
        United States
        Member #86154
        January 30, 2010
        1654 Posts
        Posted: April 27, 2012, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Okay, I'm gonna tell all of you the best rule in the book. First, each roll has a guaranteed prize amount per roll, so always ask the clerk how much (approximately) they've paid out. Now, this is only a general guideline because a player can purchase a winning ticket and cash in anywhere which leaves the clerk clueless as to how much has went out on that roll. However, most players go back to where they purchased the winning ticket to cash in unless it's over the $600 limit. Just sumthin' to keep in mind and go by, okay...

L.L.

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
          Phoenix, AZ
          United States
          Member #120254
          December 14, 2011
          91 Posts
          Posted: April 28, 2012, 1:16 am - IP Logged

Nice tips! I always buy 2 tickets at a time and ALWAYS buy the last in the roll if I can. Never know where that jackpot is hiding.

Luffy's avatar - Buggy mouth_closed.jpg
            NC
            United States
            Member #123257
            February 17, 2012
            19 Posts
            Posted: April 28, 2012, 3:42 am - IP Logged

I wouldnt bother playing the $1 games. You have to go through alot of losers just to get a winner.

My rules of playing scratchers are:

1. Always buy 5 of the $2 scratchers.

2. Buy at least 2 of the $5 and $10 games, winners are known to be back to back.

3. Rotate between many stores.

4. NEVER talk to anyone about winning.

If someone sees me scratching and winning, then walks up to me and asks how good the game is, I reply with "Dunno." I dont want that person to start playing the same game and walk away with the top prize. I always keep everything to myself and never reveal to anyone whether a scratcher is a winning roll or a dud.

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: April 28, 2012, 5:21 am - IP Logged

Good tips everyone. The constant theme seems to buy at least two tickets every time, which is something I have always done with good success.

Beyond that I would add that after a "new" game has been out for a month or so, you may want to  try a couple of older scratch games that

still have a few major unclaimed prizes remaining. Don't put all your eggs in one basket with just the new games.

I also rarely play any of the $1-2 games, big crap shoot. Your spending a lot to get a shot at a much smaller prize. Sometimes you get into a

rut with similar routines. Try breaking this up. If you always buy your tickets from a roll with a cashier, try buying from a machine on completely

different games. A few weeks back I bought a $3 ticket scrabble ticket (which I hate because it takes to much time to figure out prize), I thought

I had no winnings but decided to scan the ticket and found out I had a $200 winner!

Scratch on everyone!  Banana

Taunton, Ma
                United States
                Member #123005
                February 11, 2012
                136 Posts
                Posted: April 28, 2012, 4:13 pm - IP Logged

I always try to buy the last ticket and hangers.  you need to ask some stores how they hang tickets, a noticed lately a few of stores i go to, start with  last ticket first, so when you think you are buying last one you are actually getting first one of book.

This is true, and another thing I noticed last night actually is some places will only load half a book at a time. I ended up buying what I thought were the last 4 in a book only to realize it was at 160-something which on the tickets I bought is only half way through a full book (300).

Also to the guys that say $2 ticks are a waste of time, I disagree on this one only because I've had much more success with the $2 I buy (usually 2-3 at a time) than the $5 (usually 1-2 at a time) Ive hit $100 only once on a $10, once on a $5 but 3 times on $2 ticks. Keep in mind I have epic bad luck overall so this may or may not be a reflection on the whole thing.

Scratchies for the win!

Bronx, NY
                  United States
                  Member #124198
                  March 8, 2012
                  105 Posts
                  Posted: April 28, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I just started buying scratchers.  They can be sort of addictive no?  Sometimes I don't even really care if I lose...I just like to scratch.

This thread has a lot of great advice.  I was already buy 2-3 tickets at a time so I will definitely continue doing that.

Because of my budget I only by $1 tickets, but have had some relative success.  Almost every time I've bought 2-3 tickets I've always at least gotten my money back.  Over the last 3 weeks I might have spent like $20 or scratchers and got maybe $15 back.  I'm gonna save a little and move up to the $3 or $5 tickets.

LA, CA
                    United States
                    Member #123485
                    February 22, 2012
                    22 Posts
                    Posted: April 28, 2012, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Thanks bigheadnick........... just one question on your list.  Are you sure number 8 is accurate?  Maybe thats specific to your state.

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
                      NYC
                      United States
                      Member #117984
                      October 19, 2011
                      1843 Posts
                      Posted: April 28, 2012, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the advice, looks very useful. I like to buy tickets at each of the four corner, for ex:

X       X

X        X

These tickets usually have winners most the time. Playing the machines produce winners too. Anytime you guys win big, send me some. Thanks :-D

Taunton, Ma
                        United States
                        Member #123005
                        February 11, 2012
                        136 Posts
                        Posted: April 29, 2012, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Thanks bigheadnick........... just one question on your list.  Are you sure number 8 is accurate?  Maybe thats specific to your state.

I think the amount may be different but the principles the same. The reason being as far as I can tell is the amount coinsides with what the store is allowed to cash. Mass being $600 or less. The clerk can always scratch the code to make sure its a winner for said amount before scanning. If they are up on the codes and they arent sure if they have a winner they can check because if they scan 3 losing tickets they have to reset the lotto machine. Don't know what that really entails but from what they tell me its a pain.

Scratchies for the win!

Taunton, Ma
                          United States
                          Member #123005
                          February 11, 2012
                          136 Posts
                          Posted: April 29, 2012, 12:39 am - IP Logged

yes , scratchies are like dope for those of us who have the dreams but not the means

Scratchies for the win!

Luffy's avatar - Buggy mouth_closed.jpg
                            NC
                            United States
                            Member #123257
                            February 17, 2012
                            19 Posts
                            Posted: April 29, 2012, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Scratching off a winning number or symbol is like the best high in the world. Better than any drug, I tell ya.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5143 Posts
                              Posted: May 1, 2012, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

BHN:

thank U 4 ur HELP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!!Jack-in-the-Box