Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 7:51 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When you buy scratch tickets do you buy from local places or do you travel to get them?

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 5 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2012, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Okay I'm wondering what people do when they buy their scratch tickets. I have tended to buy scratch tickets locally spread among various places but lately I've been having no luck (I know that means I shouldn't be buying them but I still buy them).  In some other posts I mentioned that the price of gas has kept me more local but at this point I'm wondering if I should just randomly go to other towns a bit off the beaten path.  It's funy because prior to a few years ago if you asked me if I would ever be buying scratch tickets I would have laughed and said that's a losing proposition, unfortunately once I started a few years ago can't seem to stop. When I buy scratch tickets will buy one or a few at a time. Was wondering if I should just do something different, okay there is no strategy to scratchers it's random but why does it seem like some people have better luck than others when playing.  Weeks ago I went to a gas station that was a few towns away from me hoping that maybe someplace new for me would be different (no such luck). Look forward to hearing from others.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3159 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2012, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I stick to the stores/vend machines on my way to work. There's probably 10-15 that sell. I agree on the random buy theory. I cash in at different stores. Like you, i never thought i would play 20$ scratchers, but they are the only ones i been hitting on. GL

United States
      Member #2729
      November 8, 2003
      18 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2012, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

In PA, Lottery officials tend to disribute the BIG winning tickets to the larger cities.

Why ? A big win in the bigger towns = more publicity. Wink

KPaul's avatar - f holeavatar.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #128094
        May 16, 2012
        63 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2012, 5:18 pm - IP Logged

I use to live in PA and thought the same thing about the distribution. Since I was from a small town, it made me not want to buy scratch-offs.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10392 Posts
          Posted: May 20, 2012, 2:34 am - IP Logged

I can't see any reason to travel to buy scratchers unless you want them from another state.

For example, I'm in Illinois but Missouri has two scratchers right now that are tempting - $750,000 tax free and $3,000,000 tax free.

Maybe Illinois will get something like that as it seems these lottery directors are talking to each other.

Illinois has had a Black Pearls ticket and now Misouri does.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Belgium
            Member #128218
            May 19, 2012
            96 Posts
            Posted: May 20, 2012, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I buy scratch tickets locally.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: May 20, 2012, 10:10 am - IP Logged

I can't see any reason to travel to buy scratchers unless you want them from another state.

For example, I'm in Illinois but Missouri has two scratchers right now that are tempting - $750,000 tax free and $3,000,000 tax free.

Maybe Illinois will get something like that as it seems these lottery directors are talking to each other.

Illinois has had a Black Pearls ticket and now Misouri does.

I'm a "big city" resident. Live here, play here.

I checked out the Illinois Lottery web site looking for odds on the $3mil game. Found none. I do see that only one remains on Cash Bonanza and I can only imagine that they guard the last one VERY closely as it will virtually end the game when it is redeemed.

What are the odds Coin Toss?

AZ Extreme Green distributes one $500k ticket per 240,000 printed.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: May 20, 2012, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Okay I'm wondering what people do when they buy their scratch tickets. I have tended to buy scratch tickets locally spread among various places but lately I've been having no luck (I know that means I shouldn't be buying them but I still buy them).  In some other posts I mentioned that the price of gas has kept me more local but at this point I'm wondering if I should just randomly go to other towns a bit off the beaten path.  It's funy because prior to a few years ago if you asked me if I would ever be buying scratch tickets I would have laughed and said that's a losing proposition, unfortunately once I started a few years ago can't seem to stop. When I buy scratch tickets will buy one or a few at a time. Was wondering if I should just do something different, okay there is no strategy to scratchers it's random but why does it seem like some people have better luck than others when playing.  Weeks ago I went to a gas station that was a few towns away from me hoping that maybe someplace new for me would be different (no such luck). Look forward to hearing from others.

I very rarely buy scratchers but I don't buy anymore where there's guys hangin' around to see what you get and then they jump up to get the next one.

Local or on the road, I never had much luck with 'em anyway.

I like the jackpot games.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Baton Rouge, LA
                  United States
                  Member #4602
                  May 7, 2004
                  700 Posts
                  Posted: May 20, 2012, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I buy mine locally too. There are maybe 3 or 4 places I buy them, places I frequent. I don't make special trips for scratchers.

Prisoner Six

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                    Lavender Rocket

United States
                    Member #124616
                    March 16, 2012
                    2642 Posts
                    Posted: May 20, 2012, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I try to buy all my tickets locally (in-state - which for us is local - cuz we are really small)