Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 8:51 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

??Forking over EXTRA CASH when Jackpots SKYROCKET??

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

How much EXTRA do you splurge when the jackpots reach the 100m dollar mark and beyond?

$1 [ 7 ]  [20.59%]
$2 [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
$3 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
$4 [ 2 ]  [5.88%]
$5-10 [ 18 ]  [52.94%]
TOO embarressed to say [ 5 ]  [14.71%]
Total Valid Votes [ 34 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

Bahamas
Member #114685
August 5, 2011
422 Posts
Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:27 am - IP Logged

We all talk about playing an extra QP or two when the jackpot annuity value reaches a certain mark. Just how much does that translate into?

0 dollars is not an option because we would love to hear comments from those that are that disciplined through written commentary.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
    Texas
    United States
    Member #55889
    October 23, 2007
    5760 Posts
    Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:34 am - IP Logged

Regardless of the jackpot I rarely play more than the minimum.

Occasionally on Texas 2 Step I'll play an extra dollar or two if it gets around 500K or more.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 19, 2012, 10:02 am - IP Logged

Stay the course.

Don't over react.

Wouldn't be prudent.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

KPaul's avatar - f holeavatar.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #128094
        May 16, 2012
        63 Posts
        Posted: May 19, 2012, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Where I usually drop $10 on PowerBall if I play (I don't play PB every week), I may up it to $20 if the jackpot gets hits $100M or more.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: May 19, 2012, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote because my option isnt listed... its the 0 dollar option. 

When jackpots get 'über' high, that is when I clamp down with extra-self control and make sure I spend nothing extra.  I am much more likely to spend an extra buck or 2 when its a low jackpot - or on a hunch (those work out well for everyone) - or as a gift (and no I do NOT choose to sign the back of the ticket-gifts) - or if I happen to need a bookmark (yes I have done that).

Bahamas
            Member #114685
            August 5, 2011
            422 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2012, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote because my option isnt listed... its the 0 dollar option. 

When jackpots get 'über' high, that is when I clamp down with extra-self control and make sure I spend nothing extra.  I am much more likely to spend an extra buck or 2 when its a low jackpot - or on a hunch (those work out well for everyone) - or as a gift (and no I do NOT choose to sign the back of the ticket-gifts) - or if I happen to need a bookmark (yes I have done that).

A bookmark? You're hillarious!

I can see the newspaper headlines now - Bookmark translated into millions.

"Freedom of Speech? Keep reading and you will discover that freedom comes at a price!"

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3857 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

A bookmark? You're hillarious!

I can see the newspaper headlines now - Bookmark translated into millions.

I picked $1 cause i rarely go beyond budget,

and only do so w/ tip money not counted in budget.

good thread !

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                Member #124493
                March 14, 2012
                7023 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2012, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

maybe you should have put a 20-50 category...then i am too embarrassed...

its better to go slow and steady...when the jackpot get too big its easy to fall into panic playing...which then is the same thing as gambling foolishly.

sometimes ...when the jackpot is astronomical...i trade in my food stamps for lottery tickets!!Jester

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: May 19, 2012, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

We all talk about playing an extra QP or two when the jackpot annuity value reaches a certain mark. Just how much does that translate into?

0 dollars is not an option because we would love to hear comments from those that are that disciplined through written commentary.

Usually try staying at my usual 1 ticket with the Multiplier or Powerplay thrown in even when it's over 100 million  but today I splurged and bought 2 lines. I'm upset that 3 of my numbers on both lines were the same,  played  QP, that should teach me a lesson when playing more than one line, I would be better off randomly picking numbers myself.

Bahamas
                    Member #114685
                    August 5, 2011
                    422 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2012, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Usually try staying at my usual 1 ticket with the Multiplier or Powerplay thrown in even when it's over 100 million  but today I splurged and bought 2 lines. I'm upset that 3 of my numbers on both lines were the same,  played  QP, that should teach me a lesson when playing more than one line, I would be better off randomly picking numbers myself.

I have had that happen to me as well. Pick your own randomly or buy your QPs one - one and not all at the same time if you intend on spending more than a dollar.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: May 19, 2012, 5:13 pm - IP Logged

The most I've spent was on the MM drawing for $640 million ($15) That involved 5 self picks and 10 EP's. I scored $8.

Normally I'm a 2-line player.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                        Mcminnville, Oregon
                        United States
                        Member #3013
                        December 13, 2003
                        3092 Posts
                        Posted: May 19, 2012, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing 2 lines with the megaplier and powerplay.  But like when it was the record for mega I spent $40 and got nothing.  So that shows I can be a sucker for punishment.-weshar75

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: May 19, 2012, 6:01 pm - IP Logged

I have been playing 2 lines with the megaplier and powerplay.  But like when it was the record for mega I spent $40 and got nothing.  So that shows I can be a sucker for punishment.-weshar75

It's tempting to splurge when the pot is that high, the trick is knowing where to draw the line. Look at that hotshot basketball player who dropped

$5,000 on MM.  Be willing to bet he didn't even come close to getting his money back.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #86154
                            January 30, 2010
                            1654 Posts
                            Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

It's tempting to splurge when the pot is that high, the trick is knowing where to draw the line. Look at that hotshot basketball player who dropped

$5,000 on MM.  Be willing to bet he didn't even come close to getting his money back.

I like your train of thought. So many people get drawn into spending more and more just because the pot has "risen to the occassion." What they're missing, though, is that the odds remain the same regardless of the amount because each newdraw is completely independent from the last. The whole deal with the most recent record-breaking jackpot should be viewed as a prime example of this also.

Look at how many combinations were sold between each draw before a couple of tickets finally matched the winning numbers...and even then one would think that at least a 1/2 dozen or so people should've really won. Nope, doesn't work that way. Now, I'm sort of happy that this ball player didn't win anything worth mentioning. Trust you me, had he done really well, we'd have heard about it here at some point.

The reason I'm happy is because so many people that enjoy these jackpot games are so easily influenced when it comes to winner stories. Just think, if he would've won by spending $5K, everyone that has $5K would've probably been spending it on the next near-record jackpot. Even worse, those who definitely don't have it to spend would've been seriously contemplating it.

As for me, two separate $5 QP's should be plenty of room for them to fall on. I'm actually still on my $5 budget which I set some time ago. Not a whole lot left but, plenty for me to laugh at the guy that was in front of me and spent several hundred on the record jackpot. He lost more on that one draw than I'll lose in months to come.

L.L.

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

I like your train of thought. So many people get drawn into spending more and more just because the pot has "risen to the occassion." What they're missing, though, is that the odds remain the same regardless of the amount because each newdraw is completely independent from the last. The whole deal with the most recent record-breaking jackpot should be viewed as a prime example of this also.

Look at how many combinations were sold between each draw before a couple of tickets finally matched the winning numbers...and even then one would think that at least a 1/2 dozen or so people should've really won. Nope, doesn't work that way. Now, I'm sort of happy that this ball player didn't win anything worth mentioning. Trust you me, had he done really well, we'd have heard about it here at some point.

The reason I'm happy is because so many people that enjoy these jackpot games are so easily influenced when it comes to winner stories. Just think, if he would've won by spending $5K, everyone that has $5K would've probably been spending it on the next near-record jackpot. Even worse, those who definitely don't have it to spend would've been seriously contemplating it.

As for me, two separate $5 QP's should be plenty of room for them to fall on. I'm actually still on my $5 budget which I set some time ago. Not a whole lot left but, plenty for me to laugh at the guy that was in front of me and spent several hundred on the record jackpot. He lost more on that one draw than I'll lose in months to come.

L.L.

Yeah, I just bought 5 PB lines at a cost of $10. I hate playing PB now that it cost double to play. I used to play an extra 20 or more lines on big JP days but no more, no way.

For me its like playing a slot machine, if I don't hit on the first few trys its not worth sticking around to keep playing and playing and losing and losing.