Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Misprints

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 5 years ago by PlayTwoWin.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Minnesnowta
United States
Member #125219
March 27, 2012
79 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2012, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

Seems every once in awhile we see a lottery winner holding a winning scratch ticket that is misprinted. Could it easily go the other way? Could the face of the ticket be misprinted and it shows you lose but the barcode actually reveals a winning ticket?

Is this possible? I never scan my tickets. I look at them and throw them away if they are a loser without scanning them.

Just a thought!

Making dreams on a 1-175 million chance...

Fools we are.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2012, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Seems every once in awhile we see a lottery winner holding a winning scratch ticket that is misprinted. Could it easily go the other way? Could the face of the ticket be misprinted and it shows you lose but the barcode actually reveals a winning ticket?

Is this possible? I never scan my tickets. I look at them and throw them away if they are a loser without scanning them.

Just a thought!

Yep, and don't expect 'em to tell you about it if they know about it.

Honorable people are becoming a thing of the past in today's world.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
      Lavender Rocket

United States
      Member #124616
      March 16, 2012
      2642 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2012, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

Just a thought!

wow i never thought about that.  that really ... wow

KPaul's avatar - f holeavatar.jpg
        Florida
        United States
        Member #128094
        May 16, 2012
        63 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2012, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

That's a very good observation. I never thought about it that way but if they can screw up a loser to look like a winner, I'm sure it can happen the other way around. Really makes you wonder if you've ever tossed a winner...and makes me less inclined to play scratch tickets as I don't know where there's a self service bar code reader around here.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2012, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

I rarely buy scratchers, when i do i scratch em in the store, and small wins just lead to more scratchers, the money never leaves the store.

next time i get one thats a small winner i'm going to use the $ to buy more JC5 or whatever game has the biggest JP.

This thread could have been titled,  reasons to buy scratchers, NOT.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2012, 7:51 pm - IP Logged

Good one PTW; things that make you say hmm.....

I Love Pink & Green 1908

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
              Pennsylvania
              United States
              Member #74096
              May 2, 2009
              22939 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2012, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Just a thought!

Forget that. If they can't rely on one out, they'll use another.

If the simplest of methods...(seeing a winner with your own two eyes)...isn't reliable and can be determined null and void by lottery officials

claiming some tickets in a whole batch were misprinted, then a barcode scanner can simply be said to have malfunctioned.

If I had the choice to fight for my winnings using a ticket that showed a large misprinted winner or a ticket that showed no winner but scanned

a winner, I'd just give up without fighting and toss it. The ony real winner is them, not us. It's a darn shame.

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: May 27, 2012, 12:31 am - IP Logged

Just a thought!

I think it would be extremely unlikely that a winning ticket would ever get printed as a loser. They have to stop the presses and intentionally insert those tickets into the run and no doubt they not only inspected (with close scrutiny) but also monitor.

They also publish each time one gets cashed so the public can monitor the games progress.

They also have all kinds of disclaimers concerning errors, omissions and typos, so it an accepted part of playing the game.

Everyone loves JP games because the only wise bet is a very small one. If ever I do decide to make a large bet it WILL NOT be on a JP game because they only return 10% or less on non JP prizes. (forget about JP)

Scratchers on the other hand return 40-50% on non JP prizes, so while the odds are the same on jp prizes the chance of hitting smaller prizes is much greater. On the down side, buying one or two tickets just does not work and with the best return being on the $20. tickets, a minimum would be $100. and best to play at least $200.

Minnesnowta
                  United States
                  Member #125219
                  March 27, 2012
                  79 Posts
                  Posted: May 27, 2012, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

I'm just saying I feel like this could happen just as easily.. And if you ever go to your lottery homepage and look at the tickets that are sold but not claimed in your state.. it's staggering.

Fools we are.

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: May 27, 2012, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I'm just saying I feel like this could happen just as easily.. And if you ever go to your lottery homepage and look at the tickets that are sold but not claimed in your state.. it's staggering.

You make a good point. And I think you make a good case for "keeping all tickets" so that when an announce end of game occurs and there are still big winner out there I would want to take a closer look. But I can only do that if I still have the tickets.

Some people are too dumb to inspect the ticket and throw away $20,000. or even $500,000. A million $$$ one want uncashed here a while back.

Minnesnowta
                      United States
                      Member #125219
                      March 27, 2012
                      79 Posts
                      Posted: May 28, 2012, 11:27 am - IP Logged

I'm definitely going to start scanning all of my tickets.

Fools we are.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: May 28, 2012, 11:42 am - IP Logged

I'm definitely going to start scanning all of my tickets.

You're lucky they give you scanners to check them.

TN won't give us scanners.

Might find too many winners they druther we'd throw away.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: May 28, 2012, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

You're lucky they give you scanners to check them.

TN won't give us scanners.

Might find too many winners they druther we'd throw away.

AZ is only putting the scanner bars on a few random scratcher games. We have 6 scannable games out of about 36 games. They gotta keep the moving target moving.

Minnesnowta
                            United States
                            Member #125219
                            March 27, 2012
                            79 Posts
                            Posted: May 28, 2012, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

Really? That seems odd. In MN you can walk into any local fuel stop and scan your tickets yourself.

Fools we are.