Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$2 PB Jackpots Now Rising More Slowly Than $1 PB Jackpots Did.

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 4 years ago by DC81.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
New Jersey
United States
Member #21206
September 4, 2005
949 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2012, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

AFAIK, they have to pay  for all those extra lower tier prizes out of the reserve fund or what would have been their profit. The rules specify what percentage of sales go to the prize pools for each level, with the jackpot getting about 32%. I may have missd it, but I never noticed any wiggle room  about that in the official rules. The reserve fund gets 2%, but I'm not sure if it's 2% of sales (4 cents per ticket) or 2% of the 50% that goes towards prizes (2 cents per ticket). Either way, it wouldn't account for more than about $4.5 milion of the $115 million figure. I definitely don't see it coming close to accounting for what looks to me like a $10 million discrepancy in the advertised cash value for the current drawing.

Over the first 11 drawings, the sales total for the new game is actually about $27M higher than the old game run to which I referred.   This is like a single extra drawing being added to the old system.

That said, there have been individual drawings where the old sales were higher than the new, 3 instances, including the last two.   It would seem that it's definitely slowing.

I don't know how everyone else plays, but I'm spending far less money on powerball than I did under the old system.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19822 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2012, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

With its jackpot 10x that of MM, PB will seldom have a better chance to attract more players than it does now.  The $177M jackpot will probably help some players to ignore the $2 per ticket price.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: June 6, 2012, 12:58 am - IP Logged

"I don't know how everyone else plays, but I'm spending far less money on powerball than I did under the old system."

The dollar amount being sold tends to be a bit higher now for any given jackpot, but the number of tickets sold is lower. I see that as a minor advantage to a very select group of players: jackpot winners.

My chances of winning are exactly the same whether other players buy 10 tickets, 1 million tickets, or 100 million tickets, but my chances of being the only winner are better when other players buy fewer tickets. That makes the lower ticket sales an increasing advantage as the jackpot gets bigger. Compared to MM, the chances of sharing a jackpot of any given size are about half as likely for PB.

I'd prefer to win more, but as long as it's enough to fund a comfortable retirement I'd simply prefer to win. For a given  amount of money I have twice as much chance of winning MM, so I'm usually going to spend my money there.

Right now NY lotto is $13.5 million and the 2nd place prize is about $300k. The cash value of MM has a bigger edge, but the odds are worse by a factor of about 7. That makes lotto the most sensible choice right now. Assuming PB continues to roll I'll throw $2 at it when it reaches $200 million.

New Jersey
        United States
        Member #21206
        September 4, 2005
        949 Posts
        Posted: June 6, 2012, 4:49 am - IP Logged

Same here.

NJ lotto right now, seen from the expectation value point, at over 18M annuity and over 13M cash, is the best game in town here.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: June 6, 2012, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

Well, given the jackpot amount, I went ahead and plucked up $2 for a QP. At the old $1 price and at this level jackpot, I would have spent $10 for 10 lines. Now, I simply refuse to play more than $2 until it reaches $250M.

I am now simply focused on winning Hoosier Lotto. The jackpot is $5,500,000 and if I won it tonight, I'd take the annuity. That's 30 payments of $183,333.33 before taxes.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19822 Posts
            Posted: June 10, 2012, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Well, given the jackpot amount, I went ahead and plucked up $2 for a QP. At the old $1 price and at this level jackpot, I would have spent $10 for 10 lines. Now, I simply refuse to play more than $2 until it reaches $250M.

I am now simply focused on winning Hoosier Lotto. The jackpot is $5,500,000 and if I won it tonight, I'd take the annuity. That's 30 payments of $183,333.33 before taxes.

I simply refuse to play more than $2 until it reaches $250M.

It's now at $240M, it would tragic to miss out on winning it because it was $10M short.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
              Texas
              United States
              Member #86154
              January 30, 2010
              1648 Posts
              Posted: June 11, 2012, 12:41 am - IP Logged

So, is it really the idea of "possibly" winning a higher jackpot, albeit, at double the cost that's cleverly drawn players back in? In other words, more money up for grabs justifies spending twice the money on essentially the same game/ odds? I mean, I'm not knocking anyone for participating but, it's like players have been cut off at the knees in terms of value...and we're talkin' about a $1 game. What used to get me (5) lines only gets me (2) now.

They want me to spend more money, double, if I want more opportunities to "possibly" win. I see where they're gettin' a free $1 somewhere along the way. Have their operating expenses increased? Low ticket sales isn't the players' fault...it's their's for not adjusting the odds to where more players will play because they see more winners on all tiers.

Finally, the logic which I'm seeing among players here is very interesting. The amount of money available to be won seems to dictate how much a player is willing to spend. What can the average individual here NOT DO with $100MIL that THEY CAN DO with over $240MILWhat? I mean, reallyWhat? This scenario reminds me of the thread I started a while back..."How Much Money To (Try And) Win". 

Wow. So, anything less than around $200MIL ain't gonna cut it. Yeah, I know...people can spend their money on what, and, how they want. Still, just concentrate on that logic for a moment or two. I'd be willing to bet everything I have that just $1MIL would set 99% of the people on this forum free right now...or come very, very close.

I'm sure none of this makes a lick of sense but, I just wanted to share it anyway.

L.L.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                Lavender Rocket

United States
                Member #124616
                March 16, 2012
                2642 Posts
                Posted: June 11, 2012, 8:20 am - IP Logged

It sure has taken powerball a while to get a run like this one... 240M$ should get people back into the game. 

but at 240M$ I would also expect more multi-winner pots. 

I wonder what level 'it' switches over from 'most likely a single winner' to 'more likely a multiple  number of winners'? 

That would make an overlap where the expected value of the GP would actually be lower (with multiple winners/per winner) than at the lower jackpot level.  mind boggling.  and this is why I simply play the same amount each draw... cuz that is too much 'probably/maybe/should be' for my ol' brain to process.

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: June 11, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

So, is it really the idea of "possibly" winning a higher jackpot, albeit, at double the cost that's cleverly drawn players back in? In other words, more money up for grabs justifies spending twice the money on essentially the same game/ odds? I mean, I'm not knocking anyone for participating but, it's like players have been cut off at the knees in terms of value...and we're talkin' about a $1 game. What used to get me (5) lines only gets me (2) now.

They want me to spend more money, double, if I want more opportunities to "possibly" win. I see where they're gettin' a free $1 somewhere along the way. Have their operating expenses increased? Low ticket sales isn't the players' fault...it's their's for not adjusting the odds to where more players will play because they see more winners on all tiers.

Finally, the logic which I'm seeing among players here is very interesting. The amount of money available to be won seems to dictate how much a player is willing to spend. What can the average individual here NOT DO with $100MIL that THEY CAN DO with over $240MILWhat? I mean, reallyWhat? This scenario reminds me of the thread I started a while back..."How Much Money To (Try And) Win". 

Wow. So, anything less than around $200MIL ain't gonna cut it. Yeah, I know...people can spend their money on what, and, how they want. Still, just concentrate on that logic for a moment or two. I'd be willing to bet everything I have that just $1MIL would set 99% of the people on this forum free right now...or come very, very close.

I'm sure none of this makes a lick of sense but, I just wanted to share it anyway.

L.L.

I Agree! I think these huge jackpot numbers are thrown around, like they were just some pie in the sky abstractions. $1,000,000 alone, can be VERY

life changing for most folks. $25-50-75 or even a hundred million is an obscene amount of money, that I don't think most people can begin to fathom.

But as you said LL, folks will spend their money as they wish, regardless if it has no basis on logic or reason.  Stretch

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #21206
                    September 4, 2005
                    949 Posts
                    Posted: June 11, 2012, 11:55 pm - IP Logged

It sure has taken powerball a while to get a run like this one... 240M$ should get people back into the game. 

but at 240M$ I would also expect more multi-winner pots. 

I wonder what level 'it' switches over from 'most likely a single winner' to 'more likely a multiple  number of winners'? 

That would make an overlap where the expected value of the GP would actually be lower (with multiple winners/per winner) than at the lower jackpot level.  mind boggling.  and this is why I simply play the same amount each draw... cuz that is too much 'probably/maybe/should be' for my ol' brain to process.

The last drawing at this level generated about $93M in sales.

This of course is the equivalent of 46.5M tickets.

The Poisson distribution at this level approximates the probabilty of various numbers of winners.

The following table gives this distribution at this sales level.

k,   number of winnersp(m,k)
                    076.58%
                    120.44%
                    22.73%
                    30.24%

0.02%

At this level the most probable outcome is another rollover, and the next most probable outcome is one winner.

Anything, of course, can happen.

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: June 12, 2012, 7:58 am - IP Logged

The PB jackpot would probably have to set a new record (over $474 million cash) in order to change the most likely outcome from "single winner" to "more than one winner," since the last $325 million jackpot didn't sell even 100 million tickets.

---

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                        Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: June 12, 2012, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

The last drawing at this level generated about $93M in sales.

This of course is the equivalent of 46.5M tickets.

The Poisson distribution at this level approximates the probabilty of various numbers of winners.

The following table gives this distribution at this sales level.

k,   number of winnersp(m,k)
                        076.58%
                        120.44%
                        22.73%
                        30.24%

0.02%

At this level the most probable outcome is another rollover, and the next most probable outcome is one winner.

Anything, of course, can happen.

wow.  thanks Prob988!  too bad I never had a teacher like you!

DC81's avatar - batman39
                          MI
                          United States
                          Member #54830
                          August 31, 2007
                          985 Posts
                          Posted: June 13, 2012, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

The PB jackpot would probably have to set a new record (over $474 million cash) in order to change the most likely outcome from "single winner" to "more than one winner," since the last $325 million jackpot didn't sell even 100 million tickets.

Probably, since people are still buying a lot less tickets. I know I am.

You can't predict random.