Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Have gotten off track of being on budget for lottery anyone else the same?

Topic closed. 22 replies. Last post 4 years ago by shyguitar.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2012, 11:38 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

Well I did have good intentions to keep myself on a budget when it comes to the lottery but these last few weeks that hasn't happened. Desperation has set in for myself and can't seem to stop myself from buying either a few scratch tickets (usually the 2 or 5 dollar ones but have also bought a 20 dollar ticket from time to time) or non scratcher games daily. There was a time I could buy a few scratchers and hold onto them for a week or more before scratching them, that way I could tell myself that I don't need to buy scratchers because I have some at home. Well no longer is that happening. My luck on the lottery hasn't been good, yet I still play hoping for a win. The 200 dollars I won on a scratcher last week only fueled my need to buy them in hopes that I could get a decent win someday. When my rational side kicks in I tell myself that there are millions of tickets printed for each scratch ticket and if you take an example of a 5 dollar ticket there may only be 6 people who can win 1 million dollars and the odds are usually 1 in 4 million or something like that. Though I now play in hopes of winning anything good.  In hindsight I would have been better off saving the money I have spent playing the lottery over these 2 years, unfortunately my rational side was losing to my irrational self. On this board I tend to see some people who are very good about budgeting and some people who just don't worry about a budget and just buy tickets. Are there other's like myself who want to get back on track but finding it hard to do so?

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Lavender Rocket

United States
    Member #124616
    March 16, 2012
    2642 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2012, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Hi shy ... are you talking addiction-need help or obsession-need help or game-need help?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #121961
      January 21, 2012
      3157 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2012, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

You will win when you least expect it. The lotto is fun, but gets boring when you never win. I try not to worry about the money. What i spent on lotto, is nothing compared to what i lost in my 401k the last two weeks.  GL

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2012, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

Hi shy ... are you talking addiction-need help or obsession-need help or game-need help?

Hi maximumfun,

You kind of pinpointed what I mean, it's really become an addiction/obsession for me to the point I now seem to have to buy tickets each day. Even ended up going to a Shell station in the next couple of towns from where I live (someone had won 1 million on a 5 dollar scratcher recently there), thought maybe this is a lucky store but the clerk said that was the only person who ever won anything big at that gas station. I feel like I'm chasing the scratchers out there and driving to places I otherwise hadn't in the past, all with no luck. Think I was doing better when I would only buy a few scratchers each week and not scratch them right away, seem to have more wins that way.

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2012, 3:32 pm - IP Logged

You will win when you least expect it. The lotto is fun, but gets boring when you never win. I try not to worry about the money. What i spent on lotto, is nothing compared to what i lost in my 401k the last two weeks.  GL

Hi RedStang,

You might be right about winning when you least expect it. For me it just gets so frustrating trying to win and not getting anything or just getting the amount of the ticket for a win. Sorry about your 401k loss that's a common occurance for everyone who has retirement accounts. Why does it only take one awful day on the stock market for thousands to be lost in people's accounts but could take years to recoup that amount. I've never had much in my 401k but I'm sure now with the market tanking the last few weeks I probably have nothing in there.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3854 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2012, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

When you least expect it, you're elected.

Yea, i consider myself dilegent about checking my tickits,

but i did get caught off guard once when i had a $ 542 win on JC5.

I was keeping my tix. in the sun visor and checking them @ the store i buy em,

on that reader thing,

Was suprised when $ 542 popped up,

and clerk was suprised when i handed her the ticket,

her eyes opened wide, when she checked it,

always watch the eyes, anyway i don.t do it that way anymore, always check on line first.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2012, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

It does seem to me there is a problem there.  If you feel you really need to be in on a win, choose one game or one scratcher.  Don't carry any more than that is needed to buy that one game or scratcher in store.  When urge occurs, tell yourself you are in on the game... or have the scratcher..

Good luck with the urges..  You need it more than luck with a win...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2012, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

the 1st step in dealing with a problem , is recognising there is a problem. congrats on taking the 1st step. My prob is i feel as soon as i win it will maek it all better. all my losses woll be recovered etc.

:/

just set yaself a budget, or better yet a goal that reqquires positivwe work to earn the right to buy the ticket.

i try to set "walk 30 min ea day "  to earn 1$ spend on keno. no walk no keno.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2012, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

the 1st step in dealing with a problem , is recognising there is a problem. congrats on taking the 1st step. My prob is i feel as soon as i win it will maek it all better. all my losses woll be recovered etc.

:/

just set yaself a budget, or better yet a goal that reqquires positivwe work to earn the right to buy the ticket.

i try to set "walk 30 min ea day "  to earn 1$ spend on keno. no walk no keno.

Gee if you could walk 6 hours a day sav, you'd earn yourself $12/day for keno. Dance

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5588 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2012, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Hi again,

Well I did have good intentions to keep myself on a budget when it comes to the lottery but these last few weeks that hasn't happened. Desperation has set in for myself and can't seem to stop myself from buying either a few scratch tickets (usually the 2 or 5 dollar ones but have also bought a 20 dollar ticket from time to time) or non scratcher games daily. There was a time I could buy a few scratchers and hold onto them for a week or more before scratching them, that way I could tell myself that I don't need to buy scratchers because I have some at home. Well no longer is that happening. My luck on the lottery hasn't been good, yet I still play hoping for a win. The 200 dollars I won on a scratcher last week only fueled my need to buy them in hopes that I could get a decent win someday. When my rational side kicks in I tell myself that there are millions of tickets printed for each scratch ticket and if you take an example of a 5 dollar ticket there may only be 6 people who can win 1 million dollars and the odds are usually 1 in 4 million or something like that. Though I now play in hopes of winning anything good.  In hindsight I would have been better off saving the money I have spent playing the lottery over these 2 years, unfortunately my rational side was losing to my irrational self. On this board I tend to see some people who are very good about budgeting and some people who just don't worry about a budget and just buy tickets. Are there other's like myself who want to get back on track but finding it hard to do so?

Yeah, I've been spending more than I intended at the beginning of the year. But I usually can control the urges. I won $100 on a scratcher a couple Sundays ago, and I rarely buy them. I bought them while buying my jackpot tics for the week. So last Thursday I bought a couple more  $5 scratchers, only won $5. Ok, last Sunday I bought 2 more scratchers while buying my weekly tics, no winners. Ok, I thought, that's enough.

So, tonight on the way to the store to buy the office pools tics I decide to buy a $2 scratcher. But when I'm at the store, I decide against it. Just walked away from the machine. It's so easy to get hooked on playing one more game, buying one more ticket. Next thing you know, you've spent twice what you intended to spend for the week. Remember, the odds are against you. Play for fun, not for the money. Because the vast majority of the time, the money is not gonna come.

Good luck.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

United Kingdom
                      Member #122950
                      February 10, 2012
                      85 Posts
                      Posted: June 6, 2012, 1:47 am - IP Logged

Hi Shyguitar,

Some people can control their gambling but many people can't...won't even admit it. You've done the hardest part. On my part, I just do lottery syndicates in UK and not scratch cards. Scratch cards feeds on peoples impulsivity. With lottery, you have to wait at times for result.

From the sound of it however, you will not very good in controlling your gambling. Most of us talks about winning but admittedly I've lost more than I won.

Try to look at this site for help with problem gambling

http://www.squidoo.com/problem-gambling-diagnosis-help-and-treatment

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3962 Posts
                        Posted: June 6, 2012, 3:20 am - IP Logged

Hi again,

shyguitar

When this happens just quit cold turkey for a couple weeks and let things reset.  Sometimes I go a month or

more without playing which really helps.  For me the need to perform well means more than any winnings I

might get.  I play JP number games but buy few scratchers for the wife every so often, she likes playing them

but won't buy them herself.   The lottery is a game and should be fun and exciting but it's easy to let it take

over your life.  Take a break, go bowling, take in a movie or anything you might have quit doing because of the

lottery.  The lottery will still be there when / if you decide to start playing again.

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: June 6, 2012, 3:47 am - IP Logged

I'm still spending the same as I did at the beginning of the year. I went up a little when there was the $500 million jackpot but I only spent an extra $3 or so. I've actually been spending less, since I'll take a draw or two off for MM once it rolls back to the minimum.

I usually get in trouble when it comes to scratchers, but I've cut down on those and maybe do one $1 every two weeks. I broke down last week and bought a $5 one and ended up with a $10 winner. It was the first non-$1 scratcher in about 1 1/2 months.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19817 Posts
                            Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:34 am - IP Logged

I'm still spending the same as I did at the beginning of the year. I went up a little when there was the $500 million jackpot but I only spent an extra $3 or so. I've actually been spending less, since I'll take a draw or two off for MM once it rolls back to the minimum.

I usually get in trouble when it comes to scratchers, but I've cut down on those and maybe do one $1 every two weeks. I broke down last week and bought a $5 one and ended up with a $10 winner. It was the first non-$1 scratcher in about 1 1/2 months.

I too went off budget when MM jackpot was $500M+ but that happens so seldom that I would rather remember I spent a little extra trying to win when I had the chance than remember I did nothing.  Besides, I'm not any worst off having tried.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3157 Posts
                              Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:48 am - IP Logged