Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Changed my Life

Topic closed. 35 replies. Last post 5 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1654 Posts
Posted: June 6, 2012, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

Although I've read of such stories and watched interviews, it still baffles me with how a person could go from being basically broke to filthy rich...back to dead broke. I mean, if I had been hoping to someday get that lucky and come out of my poverty, and I did, I'd do everything in my power to ensure I didn't return to it. I'd build my house and it would be absolutely paid for in full, and furnished, so I'd only need to pay my yearly taxes and take care of my monthly bills with a regular 9-5. 

My vehicle would also absolutely be paid for in full and only my insurance would be due. Simple...at least to Lucky it is. All the rest of that dough would be invested and making me money somewhere somehow...and I'd NEVER BE BROKE AGAIN. A person could even use a little of the interest to help out with certain bills, if need be, and still have more than enough money to live real good on.

I'm trying my best to understand how a person can piss off of that kind of money...and end up almost homeless again. These are the people who don't deserve to win...all while the people who know what to do with the money have hell winning. Just as well, those people serve a purpose...and that purpose is to be an example to us that are waiting of what NOT TO DO WITH THE MONEY IF YOU WIN IT.

L.L.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: June 6, 2012, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

Although I've read of such stories and watched interviews, it still baffles me with how a person could go from being basically broke to filthy rich...back to dead broke. I mean, if I had been hoping to someday get that lucky and come out of my poverty, and I did, I'd do everything in my power to ensure I didn't return to it. I'd build my house and it would be absolutely paid for in full, and furnished, so I'd only need to pay my yearly taxes and take care of my monthly bills with a regular 9-5. 

My vehicle would also absolutely be paid for in full and only my insurance would be due. Simple...at least to Lucky it is. All the rest of that dough would be invested and making me money somewhere somehow...and I'd NEVER BE BROKE AGAIN. A person could even use a little of the interest to help out with certain bills, if need be, and still have more than enough money to live real good on.

I'm trying my best to understand how a person can piss off of that kind of money...and end up almost homeless again. These are the people who don't deserve to win...all while the people who know what to do with the money have hell winning. Just as well, those people serve a purpose...and that purpose is to be an example to us that are waiting of what NOT TO DO WITH THE MONEY IF YOU WIN IT.

L.L.

Thats what would be so great about the show. People would say" look at this poor loser who had it all and lost it. The only thing worse than losing it all would be that no one would even feel sorry for him anymore.

No wait, maybe everyone who saw the show WOULD feel sorry for him and start sending him money??

lol.

The round about point of my original reply was that people don't change that easily. If a person doesn't act in a responsible way before they win they likely wont after they win either.

Maybe they should call the show "how the lottery DIDNT change my life"?

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
      Texas
      United States
      Member #86154
      January 30, 2010
      1654 Posts
      Posted: June 7, 2012, 12:07 am - IP Logged

Thats what would be so great about the show. People would say" look at this poor loser who had it all and lost it. The only thing worse than losing it all would be that no one would even feel sorry for him anymore.

No wait, maybe everyone who saw the show WOULD feel sorry for him and start sending him money??

lol.

The round about point of my original reply was that people don't change that easily. If a person doesn't act in a responsible way before they win they likely wont after they win either.

"If a person doesn't act in a responsible way before they win, they likely won't after they win either."I Agree! This has proven itself time and time again. Those who aren't good with managing just a little bit of money will be broke within a couple of years. Still, to be broke within five years of hitting for several million is just mind blowing to me! Well, I guess paying for a mansion in every other state, a Lamborghini or two, a couple of Ferrari's, a Bentley, two Porsches, definitely a ZR1 'Vette, and tons of "new" friends to fly around on vacation with you might put a "little" dent in it. 

Hell, I'll take a new Dodge Ram Dually, and a $200Kish house on plenty of grass with a nice pool, Pit Master BBQ pit full of ribs, burgers, sausage, chicken, 'taters, and huge cooler full of ice and beer!!!

I can assure you that I'd never go broke.

L.L.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: June 7, 2012, 12:13 am - IP Logged

When is there going to be A Show of Lottery Changed My Life that is not a rerun?  I get very depresses watching how the winners are dummies!!!  Wish they would show happiness instead of ignorance

Texas Joey,

There's two series, The Lottery Changed My Life and The Curse of the Lottery. If you think How the Lottery Changed My Life shows dummies, don't even watch the Curse of the Lottery.

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: June 7, 2012, 8:14 am - IP Logged

Texas Joey,

There's two series, The Lottery Changed My Life and The Curse of the Lottery. If you think How the Lottery Changed My Life shows dummies, don't even watch the Curse of the Lottery.

Scared

lol!

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
            East of Columbus, OH
            United States
            Member #120843
            December 28, 2011
            451 Posts
            Posted: June 7, 2012, 8:55 am - IP Logged

I watched one last week with the Fick's on it from Detroit, I think.  It was the most difficult segment of television I have watched in a long time.  Dad won $2 million and had just under $1 million after taxes.  He bought a new $170,000 house and a $45,000 Camaro that he promply drove onto the curb at the dealership. 

Jr was the absolute nightmare.  He kept talking about his financial sense and he would buy stuff that he knew he could make money on.  They spent over $6000 at a pawn shop!  And where did Jr keep his stuff secured?  Not in a storage facility or perhaps in the unfinished basement at the new house?  No, in an $80 a night hotel room.  WHAT THE ****!?!?!  Then he was touting his Dad as the most eligible bachelor in the US.  Then they went to a 5 star restaurant to learn some table etiquette. 

It was just hard to watch.  They are probably broke now and I think he just won last year.  I really feel sorry for Dad.Sad Cheers

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 7, 2012, 10:35 am - IP Logged

I watched one last week with the Fick's on it from Detroit, I think.  It was the most difficult segment of television I have watched in a long time.  Dad won $2 million and had just under $1 million after taxes.  He bought a new $170,000 house and a $45,000 Camaro that he promply drove onto the curb at the dealership. 

Jr was the absolute nightmare.  He kept talking about his financial sense and he would buy stuff that he knew he could make money on.  They spent over $6000 at a pawn shop!  And where did Jr keep his stuff secured?  Not in a storage facility or perhaps in the unfinished basement at the new house?  No, in an $80 a night hotel room.  WHAT THE ****!?!?!  Then he was touting his Dad as the most eligible bachelor in the US.  Then they went to a 5 star restaurant to learn some table etiquette. 

It was just hard to watch.  They are probably broke now and I think he just won last year.  I really feel sorry for Dad.Sad Cheers

And that's just one guy who made the show. There are dozens of "casualties" out there like "Jack" Jr. from West Virginia who I'm sure most everyone has heard of.

My first thought when reading his story was.... wait a minute, he won $315 million and got a check for $113 million?? Do they tax on some sort of sliding scale, where the more you win the higher percentage they keep?? Or maybe he opted for the "Take out extra, so I will get a refund" option that smart people take. LOL.

The second thing I noticed is that he started a charitable foundation with AFTER TAX MONEY!! LOL. REALLY? I can just see him showing up at the shelter saying "here is a million dollars, it would have been 3 million but I decided to pay TAXES on it FIRST and then share it with you"......... LOL.

Then I just quit reading the story when it said he was at the "Pink Pony strip club" one night and spent $100k inside while they ransacked his car outside for another $545k. Really?? I can just here the girls talking... "why should we keep showing him the goods when we can just go out to his car and take all that money" LOL.

I did skip down to the end of the story where he is said to be broke, and suffering "financial hardship"

Maybe he can now give himself a donation from the foundation.Smiley Santa

SaintAndiesPl's avatar - animal butterfly.jpg
                Yonkers, NY
                United States
                Member #127830
                May 10, 2012
                125 Posts
                Posted: June 7, 2012, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

I watched this episode and I could not believe what the son was doing .. I know he loves his son but his son screwed him big time.. I looked him up and yes, he is broke and him and his son are in prison.. it's really truly sad. That would have been wonderful for his dad to retire on.. That type of money was not enough to spend like kings and queen but it was enough to live regular on..

It Takes More Than a Dollar and a Dream :)

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: June 7, 2012, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

And that's just one guy who made the show. There are dozens of "casualties" out there like "Jack" Jr. from West Virginia who I'm sure most everyone has heard of.

My first thought when reading his story was.... wait a minute, he won $315 million and got a check for $113 million?? Do they tax on some sort of sliding scale, where the more you win the higher percentage they keep?? Or maybe he opted for the "Take out extra, so I will get a refund" option that smart people take. LOL.

The second thing I noticed is that he started a charitable foundation with AFTER TAX MONEY!! LOL. REALLY? I can just see him showing up at the shelter saying "here is a million dollars, it would have been 3 million but I decided to pay TAXES on it FIRST and then share it with you"......... LOL.

Then I just quit reading the story when it said he was at the "Pink Pony strip club" one night and spent $100k inside while they ransacked his car outside for another $545k. Really?? I can just here the girls talking... "why should we keep showing him the goods when we can just go out to his car and take all that money" LOL.

I did skip down to the end of the story where he is said to be broke, and suffering "financial hardship"

Maybe he can now give himself a donation from the foundation.Smiley Santa

"My first thought when reading his story was.... wait a minute, he won $315 million and got a check for $113 million?? Do they tax on some sort of sliding scale, where the more you win the higher percentage they keep?? Or maybe he opted for the "Take out extra, so I will get a refund" option that smart people take. LOL."

The annuitized jackpot was $314.9 million, but the cash value was "only" $170 million.  This was back when a much stronger argument could be made for taking the annuity.  These days the lump sum amount is a lot closer to the advertised number.

But yeah, Jack Whittaker's story has got to be one of the most insane lottery tales you'll ever hear.

Patriot

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: June 7, 2012, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

"My first thought when reading his story was.... wait a minute, he won $315 million and got a check for $113 million?? Do they tax on some sort of sliding scale, where the more you win the higher percentage they keep?? Or maybe he opted for the "Take out extra, so I will get a refund" option that smart people take. LOL."

The annuitized jackpot was $314.9 million, but the cash value was "only" $170 million.  This was back when a much stronger argument could be made for taking the annuity.  These days the lump sum amount is a lot closer to the advertised number.

But yeah, Jack Whittaker's story has got to be one of the most insane lottery tales you'll ever hear.

Wonder if this all time loser still plays any numbers?  Jack-in-the-Box

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                      Lavender Rocket

United States
                      Member #124616
                      March 16, 2012
                      2642 Posts
                      Posted: June 7, 2012, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

Wonder if this all time loser still plays any numbers?  Jack-in-the-Box

im sure he does... and his "friends" probably encourage him too

United States
                        Member #128983
                        June 6, 2012
                        10 Posts
                        Posted: June 7, 2012, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

lol.

I recently read an article explaining how people who win the lottery often end up in financial trouble not long after. Aside from those who immediately blow their money on stupid stuff, I think many people don't understand the tax implications of such a windfall. For instance, many people who win obviously want to help out their family members and close friends. However, they might not realize that there are gift taxes that need to be paid over a certain amount given. (So there are taxes on top of taxes, which is ridiculous, imo.) Plus, there are people who can't say no to anyone - the wolves know this and come out of the woodwork with their hands out which is why it's good that some states allow winners to remain anonymous.

But yeah, if a person doesn't understand finances before they win, they certainly won't after, unless their first "investment" is enrolling in an accounting course at a local college. LOL

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                          United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3857 Posts
                          Posted: June 7, 2012, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

I recently read an article explaining how people who win the lottery often end up in financial trouble not long after. Aside from those who immediately blow their money on stupid stuff, I think many people don't understand the tax implications of such a windfall. For instance, many people who win obviously want to help out their family members and close friends. However, they might not realize that there are gift taxes that need to be paid over a certain amount given. (So there are taxes on top of taxes, which is ridiculous, imo.) Plus, there are people who can't say no to anyone - the wolves know this and come out of the woodwork with their hands out which is why it's good that some states allow winners to remain anonymous.

But yeah, if a person doesn't understand finances before they win, they certainly won't after, unless their first "investment" is enrolling in an accounting course at a local college. LOL

I think you have a very clear picture of what happens.

Welcome to LP.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                            Member #4877
                            May 30, 2004
                            5145 Posts
                            Posted: June 7, 2012, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

They probably get alot of "No thanks" when they ask winners to go on the show.

I Agree!>>>>>>>>>>RS????????????BUT:

THEY>>>>>>>>>>>QuoteUaContract>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>>>>IIIII>>>>HOPE?

sin/nosin??????????>>>>>>>>>>>>>will?U?>>>>sign a CONTRACT>>W/>>>PmosYSomo2013?????

Jack-in-the-Box

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5145 Posts
                              Posted: June 7, 2012, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

tell ya what... first i will win... and then i will go and accomplish all tht you listed... and THEN i will post if it changed my life

maxfun:

thank>>>>>>>>>>>4444444444>>>>>>>>>>>>>proving^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIRL'sssssssssssss>>>>R>>>>wonderful^^^^!

Jack-in-the-Box