Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What are the chances of ever winning the 2nd place prize for PB or MM?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: June 14, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I play both the PB and MM regularly and though like everyone else would love to win the jackpot I really play in hopes of winning the 2nd prize since that seems a bit more reasonable as every having a chance to win. Just wondering if one would have a decent chance of winning the 2nd place prize over a course of years or is it still just impossible to have that hope. I know it's all random in terms of those who win and some people will play for 30 years and never win and others will play once and win.  I also play Mass Cash in my state because it's a 5/35 game and top prize is 100k yet never do well at all on that one. My memory is not the greatest so if I asked a similar question to this in the past I apologize.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: June 14, 2012, 9:35 am - IP Logged

There's two places near me that sold 2nd place MM tickets on 3/27 and 3/30. Both stores are maybe 1/2 mile apart. I could'nt believe it so i went to both and took pics, but i can't get them off my phone for now. Both were for 250k. Just my luck i played on the other side of town.

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: June 14, 2012, 9:43 am - IP Logged

There's two places near me that sold 2nd place MM tickets on 3/27 and 3/30. Both stores are maybe 1/2 mile apart. I could'nt believe it so i went to both and took pics, but i can't get them off my phone for now. Both were for 250k. Just my luck i played on the other side of town.

Hi RedStang,

That's amazing that 2 places near you in March sold 2nd place MM tickets. I don't know of any places near me that have sold a 2nd place ticket for MM or PB.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19816 Posts
        Posted: June 14, 2012, 10:10 am - IP Logged

Hi RedStang,

That's amazing that 2 places near you in March sold 2nd place MM tickets. I don't know of any places near me that have sold a 2nd place ticket for MM or PB.

You apparently assume if you don't know about it, it never happened.  Do you regularly check your state lottery website to see where the second place winners were sold? 

The odds of winning a second prizes are 35 or 46 times those of winning a jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
          NY
          United States
          Member #121961
          January 21, 2012
          3157 Posts
          Posted: June 14, 2012, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Heres one of them. There's also two more 2nd place winning stores about 35-40 mins away.

United States
            Member #128665
            May 30, 2012
            7 Posts
            Posted: June 14, 2012, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

The chances of winning MM 2nd prize is 1:3,904,701 and the chances of winning the 2nd prize in PB is 1:5,153,633... your better off with Mass cash.

MzDuffleBaglady's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg

United States
              Member #81314
              October 16, 2009
              18969 Posts
              Posted: June 14, 2012, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

Missouri had 1 person win $1 million on the Powerball last night,  1 lucky young woman won, and it was a quick pick.

Happy SpendingParty

The Struggle is real!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: June 14, 2012, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Missouri had 1 person win $1 million on the Powerball last night,  1 lucky young woman won, and it was a quick pick.

Happy SpendingParty

Was it you, Mz D?   LoviesLover Love

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #92330
                  June 5, 2010
                  887 Posts
                  Posted: June 14, 2012, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

Within the first 1 1/2 years of playing, one of the stores I've bought from sold a 2nd place QP on MM. Another place I shopped at had won the states big game 3 years prior, also on a QP.

Yes some may play 30 years and nothing, but some people also play once or twice and win $20+ million after taxes.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #86154
                    January 30, 2010
                    1648 Posts
                    Posted: June 14, 2012, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I play both the PB and MM regularly and though like everyone else would love to win the jackpot I really play in hopes of winning the 2nd prize since that seems a bit more reasonable as every having a chance to win. Just wondering if one would have a decent chance of winning the 2nd place prize over a course of years or is it still just impossible to have that hope. I know it's all random in terms of those who win and some people will play for 30 years and never win and others will play once and win.  I also play Mass Cash in my state because it's a 5/35 game and top prize is 100k yet never do well at all on that one. My memory is not the greatest so if I asked a similar question to this in the past I apologize.

In my opinion, a player would have a much, much better chance with matching (5) numbers and the results are proving this. See, there's something to consider in the PB deal which most players aren't taking into account. Here it is: matching (5) and then getting the PB IS NOT DIFFERENT than simply matching a str8 (6) of (6). Why? Because ALL THE NUMBERS ARE STILL PERMUTATED TOGETHER AND FORM THE TOTAL AMOUNT OF COMBINATIONS in the end.

It's essentially a (6) number game with (1-59) on the first (5) and now a (1-35) on the sixth number. No matter how you do the math, the total amount of combinations in the same. If you do the math on a (1-59) game, and then multiply that total by (35) times, which is the PB, it comes out the same. No magic here.

You will always see more (5) number winners than all (6). Hope I helped.

L.L.

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7295 Posts
                      Posted: June 14, 2012, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

The last place you should look is on any state's Odds and Payoff charts because who knows how they figure the odds. There are 5,006,386 possible combinations in a 5/59 matrix, but the charts give odds of matching 5 + 0 as 5,153,633 to 1. Because they give 55 to 1 odds against matching the bonus number, I'm assuming they base their odds on the number of QPs needed to be purchased before a QP player should expect to match the bonus number. So I'm assuming their higher number for matching 5 + 0 is also based on how many QPs should be purchased before expecting to match 5 + 0.

We only have to purchase 35 tickets to guarantee matching the bonus number and guarantee matching the bonus number three times by getting 105 tickets. For $220 worth of QPs, PB expects only two bonus numbers matches. The odds against matching 5 + 0 are about the same as matching all 6 numbers in a 6/42 lotto game.

When you compare the payoffs for matching 3 or 4 $1 Mass Cash numbers to $1 MM and $2 PB numbers, Mass Cash is a much better bet. And with odds of 324,631 to 1 for matching 5 numbers, the odds are half than the odds against winning $10,000 playing either MM and PB.

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2012, 9:21 pm - IP Logged

The last place you should look is on any state's Odds and Payoff charts because who knows how they figure the odds. There are 5,006,386 possible combinations in a 5/59 matrix, but the charts give odds of matching 5 + 0 as 5,153,633 to 1. Because they give 55 to 1 odds against matching the bonus number, I'm assuming they base their odds on the number of QPs needed to be purchased before a QP player should expect to match the bonus number. So I'm assuming their higher number for matching 5 + 0 is also based on how many QPs should be purchased before expecting to match 5 + 0.

We only have to purchase 35 tickets to guarantee matching the bonus number and guarantee matching the bonus number three times by getting 105 tickets. For $220 worth of QPs, PB expects only two bonus numbers matches. The odds against matching 5 + 0 are about the same as matching all 6 numbers in a 6/42 lotto game.

When you compare the payoffs for matching 3 or 4 $1 Mass Cash numbers to $1 MM and $2 PB numbers, Mass Cash is a much better bet. And with odds of 324,631 to 1 for matching 5 numbers, the odds are half than the odds against winning $10,000 playing either MM and PB.

Actually, the odds on the charts are CORRECT, because the odds of matching the bonus ball ONLY are 55 to 1, after factoring in the chances of matching the bonus ball with one or more white balls.  The odds of matching the five white balls ONLY are 5,153,633 to 1, because you have to multiply the total number of white ball combinations by 35/34, as the odds of NOT hitting the bonus ball are 34/35.

---

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7295 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2012, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Actually, the odds on the charts are CORRECT, because the odds of matching the bonus ball ONLY are 55 to 1, after factoring in the chances of matching the bonus ball with one or more white balls.  The odds of matching the five white balls ONLY are 5,153,633 to 1, because you have to multiply the total number of white ball combinations by 35/34, as the odds of NOT hitting the bonus ball are 34/35.

I didn't say the odds on the charts were INCORRECT, I said "who knows how they figure them".

"The odds of matching the five white balls ONLY are 5,153,633 to 1, because you have to multiply the total number of white ball combinations by 35/34, as the odds of NOT hitting the bonus ball are 34/35."

If you multiple 5,006,386 (the number of combos in a 5/59 matrix) by "35/34" you get 5,153,633. That I understand, but how do they get the figure 1 in 55?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19816 Posts
                            Posted: June 15, 2012, 12:02 am - IP Logged

I didn't say the odds on the charts were INCORRECT, I said "who knows how they figure them".

"The odds of matching the five white balls ONLY are 5,153,633 to 1, because you have to multiply the total number of white ball combinations by 35/34, as the odds of NOT hitting the bonus ball are 34/35."

If you multiple 5,006,386 (the number of combos in a 5/59 matrix) by "35/34" you get 5,153,633. That I understand, but how do they get the figure 1 in 55?

Actuall the odds are calculated the only way that makes sense. 

First, the total number of possible combinations is calculated, then the number of winning combinations for each level are calculated and to get the odds of winning at each level, the numbers of winning combinations at each level are divided by the number of possible combinations.

possible combos of 5/59 + 1/35 numbers = 175223510
                             MATCH    ODDS            WINNING COMBOS  ODDS 1 CHANCES
                             5/5+B   1 : 175223510      1              1 : 175223510
                             5/5+0   1 : 5153633        34             1 : 5153633
                             4/5+B   1 : 648976         270            1 : 648976
                             4/5+0   1 : 19088          9180           1 : 19088
                             3/5+B   1 : 12245          14310          1 : 12245
                             3/5+0   1 : 360            486540         1 : 360
                             2/5+B   1 : 706            248040         1 : 706
                             1/5+B   1 : 111            1581255        1 : 111
                             0/5+B   1 : 55             3162510        1 : 55
                             ____________________________________________________________
                             overall odds 1 : 31.8             

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: June 15, 2012, 12:30 am - IP Logged

"wondering if one would have a decent chance of winning the 2nd place prize over a course of years"

It depends on what you mean be "a decent chance." Imagine that you buy 100 tickets for every single PB drawing over a 30 year period. You'll have bought a total of 312,000 tickets. That will give you about an 8% chance of winning the 2nd place prize. You'll have about a 92% chance of not winning the 2nd place prize. For MM it's about 6% and 94%.