Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why does a person from England get to claim the entire prize

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 4 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2012, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Someone from England a few years ago won the 1 million dollars a year for life scratch off in NY. They did not have to pay any federal taxes and they get something like 960 thousand or so dollars a year tax free. Does anyone know why and what other countries can someone claim a lottery ticket from and not pay taxes and what website gives this type of information about a countries exemption from lottery winnings.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Posted: June 16, 2012, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

I forget the details, but there's a tax treaty between the US and the UK that  makes him exempt from US taxes.

ozone park
      United States
      Member #57042
      December 15, 2007
      274 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2012, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

do you know what other countries have tax exemptions from the usa

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10348 Posts
        Posted: June 16, 2012, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

rgse,

"Someone from England a few years ago won the 1 million dollars a year for life scratch off in NY. They did not have to pay any federal taxes and they get something like 960 thousand or so dollars a year tax free."

1 millions dollars a year for life, tax free, and they get $960,000 a year. What happened to the other $40,000?

I'm not sure about winning in a foreign country, but the U.S. is one of the few countries that taxes gambling winnings. In England, Ireland, Canada and Australia whatever you win is all yours.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2012, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

do you know what other countries have tax exemptions from the usa

I know a few things. Google knows everything, if you really want to know and have time to kill. Most tax treaties are about reciprocity and people not having to pay twice as much tax just because there are two countries that have the authority to tax their income. IIRC, the treaty that made this guy so lucky is atypical, since in some cases somebody's income becomes exempt. I remember reading about it here, and I think it was  a NY lottery game.  A federal tax treaty with England wouldn't exempt him from state taxes, so that would be why he doesn't get the entire $1 million. As a rough approximation NY taxes would be close to $90k.

ozone park
            United States
            Member #57042
            December 15, 2007
            274 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2012, 12:51 am - IP Logged

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/archive/t-542582.html

he will have to pay about 69,000 dollars to nys taxes. this is the article about the man who won

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2012, 1:22 am - IP Logged

he will have to pay about 69,000 dollars to nys taxes. this is the article about the man who won

Back in 2008, Keenan Altunis, 33, a wealthy banker living in London on a trip to New York gave his mum $100 to buy him tickets for a scratch-off game before leaving for the airport.

The married dad-of-one said: "I knew there wouldn't be time that weekend to buy tickets for myself, so I left enough money with my mother to buy three before leaving for the airport.

He won the top prize of $1M a year for life and because he lives in Britain he do not have to pay federal taxes on his winnings, only New York taxes, which means he will net $931,500 a year for the rest of his life.

Under a US treaty with Britain, income from lottery winnings and several other sources is not subject to taxation for British residents.

You can read all about it at:
              http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1870660.ece

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19825 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2012, 3:35 am - IP Logged

Back in 2008, Keenan Altunis, 33, a wealthy banker living in London on a trip to New York gave his mum $100 to buy him tickets for a scratch-off game before leaving for the airport.

The married dad-of-one said: "I knew there wouldn't be time that weekend to buy tickets for myself, so I left enough money with my mother to buy three before leaving for the airport.

He won the top prize of $1M a year for life and because he lives in Britain he do not have to pay federal taxes on his winnings, only New York taxes, which means he will net $931,500 a year for the rest of his life.

Under a US treaty with Britain, income from lottery winnings and several other sources is not subject to taxation for British residents.

You can read all about it at:
                http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1870660.ece

Sibling of Keenan Altunis also won a million dollars prize two years later in New York.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/213581

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ozone park
                  United States
                  Member #57042
                  December 15, 2007
                  274 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:23 am - IP Logged

wow that is all I can say is wow.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                    Member #121745
                    January 16, 2012
                    4788 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2012, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

The bad news is the US is paying it in Mcdonald's gift cards.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2012, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

The bad news is the US is paying it in Mcdonald's gift cards.

YUM! YUM! I'll take my jackpot in fish & fries please.   Lover

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4788 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2012, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

YUM! YUM! I'll take my jackpot in fish & fries please.   Lover

lol  fish and chips....

I read somewhere a while back that the average american eats fries 3 x a week.  Now I know who is eating my share. The only place that ever had good fries, decades ago, was Arby's. Little crinkly ones.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

That was then, this is now. The top rate in NY is currently 8.97%., which would be $89,700 if that rate applied to the entire $1 million.