Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

MM jackpot $47M/$36.1M and PB jackpot $50M/$33.3

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Prob988.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19828 Posts
Posted: June 17, 2012, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Now that MM and PB have similar payouts and cash prizes, ticket sales should tell the true story of prices difference effect on total sales.  While PB will be forced to increase its jackpots by $10M regardless of tickets sales, it will be interesting to watch MM jackpot increase which is only dependent on tickets sales.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
    Lavender Rocket

United States
    Member #124616
    March 16, 2012
    2642 Posts
    Posted: June 17, 2012, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

its like a snail race

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
      Mcminnville, Oregon
      United States
      Member #3013
      December 13, 2003
      3052 Posts
      Posted: June 17, 2012, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I hope that I win mega on tuesday night so I can take the cash option.-weshar75

Litebets27's avatar - power
        Maryland
        United States
        Member #10465
        January 14, 2005
        6065 Posts
        Posted: June 17, 2012, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

Interesting!

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3474 Posts
          Posted: June 17, 2012, 10:19 pm - IP Logged

"ticket sales should tell the true story of prices difference effect on total sales."

Don't be too sure. Several times NY lotto has had a higher advertised jackpot than MM, and occasionally a higher cash value (which NY never advertises). Lotto also offers odds that are more than 7 times better. Both games cost $1. Sometimes the 2nd place lotto prize is even bigger theh MM's. Without fail, MM still sells far more tickets than lotto.

Of course people may think of MM as the big jackpot game compared to Lotto and it won't have that advantage over PB, but plenty of people don't choose which game they're going to play based on logic.

Lavender Rocket

United States
            Member #124616
            March 16, 2012
            2642 Posts
            Posted: June 20, 2012, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Looks like MM wins!  (I just can not see how PB will bring its cash prize to in keeping to where MM now is... AND MM just had a healthy jump while PB will most likely be on their 'standard 10M$' still at this point)

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #21206
              September 4, 2005
              949 Posts
              Posted: June 20, 2012, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

I'm not sure what anyone's doing, but it makes absolutely no sense to buy a Powerball ticket if one can buy MM

Lavender Rocket

United States
                Member #124616
                March 16, 2012
                2642 Posts
                Posted: June 20, 2012, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

very simply and clearly put prob988.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: June 20, 2012, 8:28 pm - IP Logged

"ticket sales should tell the true story of prices difference effect on total sales."

Don't be too sure. Several times NY lotto has had a higher advertised jackpot than MM, and occasionally a higher cash value (which NY never advertises). Lotto also offers odds that are more than 7 times better. Both games cost $1. Sometimes the 2nd place lotto prize is even bigger theh MM's. Without fail, MM still sells far more tickets than lotto.

Of course people may think of MM as the big jackpot game compared to Lotto and it won't have that advantage over PB, but plenty of people don't choose which game they're going to play based on logic.

Perhaps advertising has something to do with it.  I can't tell you the last time I saw an ad for Lotto; however, you can count on ads for PB and MM when their jackpots start getting into "exciting" territory.  Also, I've seen a resurgence in the "little bit of luck" Take 5 campaign.  And around here (Albany), we have highway billboards with the PB and MM jackpots, but I don't believe we have one for Lotto.

Anyway, the point is, without a lot of advertising to plant the idea of playing Lotto in the public's heads, the only people who will play Lotto are those who were already planning to do so (i.e. regulars) and possibly some who see the in-store advertising (signs and the electronic scroll above the lottery terminal) and buy on a whim.

Patriot

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: June 21, 2012, 7:38 am - IP Logged

Looks like MM wins!  (I just can not see how PB will bring its cash prize to in keeping to where MM now is... AND MM just had a healthy jump while PB will most likely be on their 'standard 10M$' still at this point)

From the looks of PB ticket sales, which are mirroring its last run's sales, the 'standard $10 million increases' will most likely continue until it gets to at least $100 million, maybe $110 million thanks to falling interest rates, again.

---

Morrison, IL
                      United States
                      Member #4657
                      May 13, 2004
                      1884 Posts
                      Posted: June 24, 2012, 12:49 am - IP Logged

Wow, Powerball just got won right at the $60 million mark again, and this time, there weren't even any 2nd place winners.  If people keep winning the jackpot before it rolls seven times, then Powerball will surely disappear, leaving Mega Millions the only multi-state giant jackpot game.  Unfortunately, what will probably happen under such a scenario, is Mega Millions will double its ticket price.

---

Lavender Rocket

United States
                        Member #124616
                        March 16, 2012
                        2642 Posts
                        Posted: June 24, 2012, 12:51 am - IP Logged

Ryanm - I hope you are wrong.  It's really nice having a 1$ ticket game.

and I was surprised to see no 5-0 winners myself!  I'm guessing that it was NOT a quick pick winner.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19828 Posts
                          Posted: June 24, 2012, 10:07 am - IP Logged

Wow, Powerball just got won right at the $60 million mark again, and this time, there weren't even any 2nd place winners.  If people keep winning the jackpot before it rolls seven times, then Powerball will surely disappear, leaving Mega Millions the only multi-state giant jackpot game.  Unfortunately, what will probably happen under such a scenario, is Mega Millions will double its ticket price.

PowerBall will change its matrix or its price before it ever disappeared and MM would have to consider if some states might ban together to create another $1 multi-state game if they ever abandon that market.

PowerBall wouldn't be the first $2 ticket game to fail and be replaced with a game closer to its older version.  It happened in Ohio in 2007 when Lot'O Play was replaced by Classic Lotto a version of the 6/49 game it replaced a year earlier.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                            NY
                            United States
                            Member #121961
                            January 21, 2012
                            3157 Posts
                            Posted: June 24, 2012, 11:07 am - IP Logged

PB was the guinea pig to see how 2$ works out. It's a failure. Most peeps i see buy one pb. MM most likely won't change now.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: June 25, 2012, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Sales are down. Income is up. It's easy to see that $2 PB is a complete success if you remember that its purpose is to earn income for the states.