Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 5:35 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone with good matrix functions for MS Excel?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 5 years ago by SergeM.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
Economy class
Belgium
Member #123700
February 27, 2012
4035 Posts
Posted: June 23, 2012, 4:14 pm - IP Logged

gesundheit!

Uppercase

Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2012, 9:03 am - IP Logged

I just drew the conclusion that you don't share.

United States
      Member #124493
      March 14, 2012
      7023 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2012, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

GESUNDHEIT!

Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123700
        February 27, 2012
        4035 Posts
        Posted: June 24, 2012, 3:10 pm - IP Logged

GESUNDHEIT!

camelcase

United States
          Member #124493
          March 14, 2012
          7023 Posts
          Posted: June 24, 2012, 3:22 pm - IP Logged

GeSuNdHeIt!

Economy class
            Belgium
            Member #123700
            February 27, 2012
            4035 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2012, 6:21 am - IP Logged

GeSuNdHeIt!

upside down pascal case

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2012, 7:05 am - IP Logged

I thought that it might be good to make a collection of useful array functions.

Usually I prefer VBA to simplify the reuse of functions. I replaced {function(function( ) ...)} by myFunction() on the sheets.
              Most of the time I use ={sum(if( ...} constructions, there also is matching. I don't use sumproduct, but an array function instead.
              I could find the score of some combination for a database by using array functions, but find VBA better as the input is shorter.

Not every worksheetfunction can be used in array functions.

XML is indeed for html output, maybe later for RSS. It has nothing to do with array functions or the subject here. I am just learning it.

With patient use of the search function, you'd (probably) find many array functions scattered in old threads.

Then it's just a matter of consolidating them either as a pointing (collection of links) document or a re-written collection of functions.

I did it once as a pointing document for most of the VBA code posted on LP (up to that date). It took me about a day, but the result is that if I'm looking for something that I remember was in the form of a macro, I can start with that page rather than trying to find the key word/phrase and wading through the search engine.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Economy class
                Belgium
                Member #123700
                February 27, 2012
                4035 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2012, 7:40 am - IP Logged

With patient use of the search function, you'd (probably) find many array functions scattered in old threads.

Then it's just a matter of consolidating them either as a pointing (collection of links) document or a re-written collection of functions.

I did it once as a pointing document for most of the VBA code posted on LP (up to that date). It took me about a day, but the result is that if I'm looking for something that I remember was in the form of a macro, I can start with that page rather than trying to find the key word/phrase and wading through the search engine.

They should have put it all in one Excel thread instead of spreading it all over the place.

I found mistakes in many threads. Some topics come up several times. There could be a recovering thread linking to unique correct threads (direct adres to the post).

For a collection of links, all you need is a word.docx or text.txt or maybe an excel.xlsx?

Searching probably works easily by Google, example: "Lotterypost Excel Array 2010" + ENTER.

Cool

Economy class
                  Belgium
                  Member #123700
                  February 27, 2012
                  4035 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

i have all the best matrix functions NEO!!!

Post them here!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                    Member #13130
                    March 30, 2005
                    2171 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2012, 9:31 am - IP Logged

They should have put it all in one Excel thread instead of spreading it all over the place.

I found mistakes in many threads. Some topics come up several times. There could be a recovering thread linking to unique correct threads (direct adres to the post).

For a collection of links, all you need is a word.docx or text.txt or maybe an excel.xlsx?

Searching probably works easily by Google, example: "Lotterypost Excel Array 2010" + ENTER.

Cool

Old threads get locked and new people ask old questions. Different questions/topics and answers, at different times, by different people would natually make for scattered responses. Mistakes do come up, but you have the option of linking to a specific (corrected) post, rather than just to the thread in question.

For the collection of macro links, I used notepad, since I wasn't doing anything too complex as a first try. I kept it simple by not using embedded hyperlinks.

http://www.lotterypost.com/blogentry/51699

No one will get angry if you make a "list of functions" version. LOL

As a sharable file, you can update it as needed and not be stuck with old versions.

As a blog entry, you can bookmark it, but not update it ... and blog entries quickly "scroll down".

As a thread ... well, you know what the trolls do on even the most useful threads...  ThudYour patience may be greater than mine.  Big Grin

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                    Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Economy class
                      Belgium
                      Member #123700
                      February 27, 2012
                      4035 Posts
                      Posted: June 25, 2012, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Years ago I thought of putting wheels online in Excel for free use. You understand that people people like Todd, Gail Howard and others wouldn't be too happy with that. There would be posting threads only.

For a collection of array (=matrix) functions, I use a Dutch version of Windows and Excel, and the American syntax is like upside down. Semicolon, point, comma, ... all mixed up. The names of the functions differ too. With recorded macro's you may have a complete program in Excel, no big programming skills needed!

I pick up with the basics, matrix, cell addressing and such. I find stuff that doesn't do it, and in VBA split seems not to do it. Happily I programmed a few split versions earlier. I also get the numbers out of strings, no matter how screwed the string (=text) looks. Big Grin

Let's reinvent the hot water. Sun Smiley

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23352 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2012, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Years ago I thought of putting wheels online in Excel for free use. You understand that people people like Todd, Gail Howard and others wouldn't be too happy with that. There would be posting threads only.

For a collection of array (=matrix) functions, I use a Dutch version of Windows and Excel, and the American syntax is like upside down. Semicolon, point, comma, ... all mixed up. The names of the functions differ too. With recorded macro's you may have a complete program in Excel, no big programming skills needed!

I pick up with the basics, matrix, cell addressing and such. I find stuff that doesn't do it, and in VBA split seems not to do it. Happily I programmed a few split versions earlier. I also get the numbers out of strings, no matter how screwed the string (=text) looks. Big Grin

Let's reinvent the hot water. Sun Smiley

You can put all the free wheels you want out there.  The only thing you can't do is to copy something from Lottery Post and publish it yourself.  That's copyright infringement.  But something that doesn't exist on Lottery Post?  What would I care if you did that?

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Economy class
                          Belgium
                          Member #123700
                          February 27, 2012
                          4035 Posts
                          Posted: June 25, 2012, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

It's nice to hear that.