Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When you win on a scratch ticket do you put that money back into buying more tickets?

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 4 years ago by maximumfun.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: June 29, 2012, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm curious as to what people do when they win on a scratch ticket. Do you just take the money or do you buy more tickets with it. I usually always re-invest that win into buying more tickets. The exception is if I win 100 dollars or more then I usually take the money and spend about 30 dollars of it on scratch tickets. Though to be honest in the last 2.5 years since playing the scratch offs there have only been about 3 times that I won a hundred dollars on a ticket and 2 times that I won 200 dollars on a ticket so the majority of the times I'm not winning much therefore I prefer to just buy more tickets for other chances.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: June 29, 2012, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I'm curious as to what people do when they win on a scratch ticket. Do you just take the money or do you buy more tickets with it. I usually always re-invest that win into buying more tickets. The exception is if I win 100 dollars or more then I usually take the money and spend about 30 dollars of it on scratch tickets. Though to be honest in the last 2.5 years since playing the scratch offs there have only been about 3 times that I won a hundred dollars on a ticket and 2 times that I won 200 dollars on a ticket so the majority of the times I'm not winning much therefore I prefer to just buy more tickets for other chances.

The other word for "re-investing" is Gambling.

I lost track of the other thread where you were headed out to buy 10 tickets......

How did you do???

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
      United States
      Member #112968
      June 29, 2011
      3856 Posts
      Posted: June 29, 2012, 10:41 am - IP Logged

I rarely buy scratchers, just never had much luck w/em.

I scratch em in the store and any win just buys more scratchers, the $ never leaves the store.

Next time I'll take the small win and spend it on xtra tix. for draw games,

that way I at least get it out of the store.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
        Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #79502
        September 2, 2009
        6395 Posts
        Posted: June 29, 2012, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I do.  If I win , I keep half and re-spend half.

Then I sit out in my car and think  dang its the next ticket that must be the winner !

Surely the most important news of any day ...

is that the sun has risen one more time. Sun Smiley

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: June 29, 2012, 10:48 am - IP Logged

I do.  If I win , I keep half and re-spend half.

Then I sit out in my car and think  dang its the next ticket that must be the winner !

Green laughHow true that is!

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: June 29, 2012, 11:07 am - IP Logged

The other word for "re-investing" is Gambling.

I lost track of the other thread where you were headed out to buy 10 tickets......

How did you do???

Hi Ronnie,

I've never bought 10 scratch off tickets at one time, have never even bought 10 MM or PB tickets at one time either so I don't think that was my thread you were referring to. Yes you can say that re-investing is gambling as you say, but I do try not going over board with the lottery and make sure my other bills are always paid first. You didn't answer my initial question do you re-invest in more tickets or take the money (that is if you play scratch offs).

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2012, 11:27 am - IP Logged

Hi Ronnie,

I've never bought 10 scratch off tickets at one time, have never even bought 10 MM or PB tickets at one time either so I don't think that was my thread you were referring to. Yes you can say that re-investing is gambling as you say, but I do try not going over board with the lottery and make sure my other bills are always paid first. You didn't answer my initial question do you re-invest in more tickets or take the money (that is if you play scratch offs).

Ok, it was someone else who said they were running out to buy 10.

It was your thread though, and I was suggesting buying at least 5 at a time.

The last time I played 10 - $20. scratchers and got $135. in winners.

I put half in my gas tank and kept the rest in cash. 

The $20. game tends to pay a higher return, but is a bigger expense.

I use Thriftys shotgun approach of saving up, and then buying more tickets at one time. 

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                Lavender Rocket

United States
                Member #124616
                March 16, 2012
                2642 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2012, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Ok, it was someone else who said they were running out to buy 10.

It was your thread though, and I was suggesting buying at least 5 at a time.

The last time I played 10 - $20. scratchers and got $135. in winners.

I put half in my gas tank and kept the rest in cash. 

The $20. game tends to pay a higher return, but is a bigger expense.

I use Thriftys shotgun approach of saving up, and then buying more tickets at one time. 

just as long as you are using a 'shotgun approach' and not a shotgun things should be fine.

using a shotgun will prolly not work so well for the long-term survival of NOT wearing pink undies and eating green balony sandwiches at one of your 'tent city' locations - im just sayin'