Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 9:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

has anyone bought a roll and did well??

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 4 years ago by RedStang.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
United States
Member #130125
July 7, 2012
67 Posts
Posted: July 7, 2012, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

All of these messages i have been reading are all negative. Where are the big winning tickets? the 500, 1000, 2000, etc. They have to be in a roll... 

Anyone do well with a roll?

PA
    United States
    Member #129849
    June 29, 2012
    308 Posts
    Posted: July 7, 2012, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

People can do well buying rolls of tickets but you have to remember something: These games are designed to make money... not to lose money. The state issuing the tickets intends to make money with them to help with senior citizens and the other things they do with the money. So typically a book is designed to pay out half  (or so) of the cost to buy the tickets.

If they sell $10,000,000 in tickets then they want to pay out in the ball park of $5,000,000 so you can see that if all the tickets sell (or even most) that they WILL make a profit on the tickets.

I personally wouldn't buy a "roll" or "book" of tickets because it is too much money for me to play at once. That is the main thing you have to be careful of and think about. Do not play more then you can afford to play. Many people have gone to vegas with every dime to their name and hopes of hitting it big. Most come back empty handed.

It seems like you have played quite a large amount in the past few days. If you have that kind of money to play then more power to you but I would be careful not to over extend myself in hopes of winning.

I usually play scratchers when I can (right now I can not for sure!) and I play the jackpot games like mega millions and our local match 6 game. For the time being I have very little money and I am currently looking for a new job so my gambling funds are gone!

My advice: Don't buy entire rolls of tickets. If your going to play a lot of $20 tickets then I would buy so many of each from each of the stores around you. I spread my ticket playing around to the different stores in town vs playing all the time in the same machine. Techincally you have no better or worse odds buying entire books vs playing a few tix here and there but I've had better luck by far playing limited numbers of the same roll

NE Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #129347
      June 16, 2012
      57 Posts
      Posted: July 7, 2012, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I have bought three rolls in my time playing the lottery. Two rolls I ended up only getting about half my money back. One roll though I ended up with a profit of $840. In most instances, it's not worth it to buy a whole roll but there is always that chance that you get a hot roll like I did once. A friend of mine bought a roll of $20 tickets (not sure which $20 ticket) and had three $1,000 winners in the roll. I buy rolls going into the mindset of "can I afford to lose at least half the money I'm going to spend?". If you think you can, play on.

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #109275
        April 9, 2011
        1495 Posts
        Posted: July 8, 2012, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I have bought three rolls in my time playing the lottery. Two rolls I ended up only getting about half my money back. One roll though I ended up with a profit of $840. In most instances, it's not worth it to buy a whole roll but there is always that chance that you get a hot roll like I did once. A friend of mine bought a roll of $20 tickets (not sure which $20 ticket) and had three $1,000 winners in the roll. I buy rolls going into the mindset of "can I afford to lose at least half the money I'm going to spend?". If you think you can, play on.

My exact thought process. I ask myself if I am ok with losing 1/2 of the book value with 30/60/100/150/300 tickets to try to get something big. I have bought $2/$3/$5/$20 rolls. I have never profited. However I have never profited in general from the lottery like 99.9% of people. Just a matter of if I want to nickel and dime or go for bulk and get a roll that day.

TheOtherOne's avatar - Lottery-027.jpg
          Nashville, TN
          United States
          Member #86739
          February 9, 2010
          483 Posts
          Posted: July 10, 2012, 12:38 am - IP Logged

I've only bought one roll and lost about half. Best be prepared to lose half if you do it.

kkkb's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTCbp5UCbsK022NTC_y-p5KGtaseWWCX_dI6OKKgbkehO5h07Cy9Q

United States
            Member #130020
            July 4, 2012
            840 Posts
            Posted: July 10, 2012, 12:44 am - IP Logged

I bought a roll and didn't even get half of my money back.

Money is the motive

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
              NY
              United States
              Member #121961
              January 21, 2012
              3157 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2012, 9:35 am - IP Logged

When you buy a roll do you get a new stack wrapped in plastic or do you ask for a certain amount of tickets. I've seen them delivered by UPS, but they only got one stack per game.   tks