Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Where should the money go?

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ronnie316.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Two winning tickets by two different people, one goes unclaimed, where should the money go?

Claimed ticket holder should get all money? [ 11 ]  [30.56%]
Stay with lottery and used for future jp prizes? [ 11 ]  [30.56%]
Sent on to help fund schools? [ 9 ]  [25.00%]
I'm not sure [ 1 ]  [2.78%]
Other, please explain below [ 4 ]  [11.11%]
Total Valid Votes [ 36 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
Member #6363
August 20, 2004
4063 Posts
Posted: July 13, 2012, 7:25 pm - IP Logged

There was an article on the Missouri Lottery Website that said a jackpot ticket was about to expire and they has so many days left to claim it. They give a date and where the ticket was purchased. They also said there was another winning ticket that had already claimed their half of the money. And that was about the all the info they gave about the situation. So, I emailed them and asked them where the money went if the ticket was not turned in? I said surely you give it to the woman who had the other ticket and claimed her half already. I said if the other ticket was never purchased she would have gotten the full prize anyway. They said no, she doesn't get the rest of money regardless because there was another ticket purchased all the same. They said the money went directly to the school funds. Do you agree with how they handle expired ticket prizes? Where do you think it should go?

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: July 13, 2012, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

The money should (and normally does) go to the States "general fund" to spend any way they see fit. It is the states money from the time they get it and thay can keep it or do whatever they want with it.

People dont seem to understand that the lottery is run by THE STATE, not a business or a company or a coorporation but THE STATE who makes the laws ans IS THE LAW.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: July 13, 2012, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

I voted other. The money should rightfully go to me. I've been putting in for far to long now. I'm  overdue, show me the money.   Banana

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: July 13, 2012, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

Ok, I misunderstood the question...........

I also place my vote that mc should get the money. He not only deserves it but has also earned it.

GIVE MC THE MONEY.

Dead_Aim's avatar - canstock2002989

United States
          Member #6363
          August 20, 2004
          4063 Posts
          Posted: July 13, 2012, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

The money should (and normally does) go to the States "general fund" to spend any way they see fit. It is the states money from the time they get it and thay can keep it or do whatever they want with it.

People dont seem to understand that the lottery is run by THE STATE, not a business or a company or a coorporation but THE STATE who makes the laws ans IS THE LAW.

I don't know, I feel the person that had to split the prize (with no one) got screwed.  Now if a JP gets hit with just 1 ticket and it goes unclaimed, then yeah, by all means fund the schools.

That can be another conspiracy theory we can add to the list, when big JP's get hit with several tickets and a few go unclaimed, the lottery only has to pay out 1/3 of monstrous prize and conveniently getting to keep the rest. hmmm....Isn't that special?

Don't Chase... Compare and Narrow

The Cheaper the Cost the Higher the Profit

Many Winners to You.

D_A

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: July 13, 2012, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Ok, I misunderstood the question...........

I also place my vote that mc should get the money. He not only deserves it but has also earned it.

GIVE MC THE MONEY.

Your "misunderstanding" is forgiven.  Blue Angel

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: July 13, 2012, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

Your "misunderstanding" is forgiven.  Blue Angel

I feel so bad about my laps of good judgement that I'm now going to push for laws that will forward ALL FUTURE UNCLAIMED prizes directly to mc or his descendants.

This should be done on a nation wide basis with ALL unclaimed prises in EVERY state no matter large or small the prize may be. EVERY unclaimed prize in EVERY states goes to mc, from now on. 

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: July 13, 2012, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I feel so bad about my laps of good judgement that I'm now going to push for laws that will forward ALL FUTURE UNCLAIMED prizes directly to mc or his descendants.

This should be done on a nation wide basis with ALL unclaimed prises in EVERY state no matter large or small the prize may be. EVERY unclaimed prize in EVERY states goes to mc, from now on. 

As my now "official" spokesperson Ronnie,   Cussing Face   you are now entitled to a percentage of whatever all future unclaimed prizes total up to.   Yes Nod

I'm so very pleased, that you were able to have the wisdom and insight, to arrive at this very obvious and logical conclusion.  Conehead

What % you receive will be negotiated going forward. Needless to say you will have ample liquidity, to play your 98,250 numbers on MM on a

regular basis. This is the beginning of a very profitable partnership!  Cheers

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: July 13, 2012, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

As my now "official" spokesperson Ronnie,   Cussing Face   you are now entitled to a percentage of whatever all future unclaimed prizes total up to.   Yes Nod

I'm so very pleased, that you were able to have the wisdom and insight, to arrive at this very obvious and logical conclusion.  Conehead

What % you receive will be negotiated going forward. Needless to say you will have ample liquidity, to play your 98,250 numbers on MM on a

regular basis. This is the beginning of a very profitable partnership!  Cheers

Cheers my friend   Sad Cheers   I'm glad we found a quick and simple solution to such a troubling and complex problem.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10353 Posts
                    Posted: July 13, 2012, 10:10 pm - IP Logged

I think in most states it gets rolled over into the next jackpot for the same game.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #92330
                      June 5, 2010
                      887 Posts
                      Posted: July 13, 2012, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

I'd say it should either go to fund the schools or be added back into the lottery jackpot. As they said, regardless of whether the ticket went unclaimed or not, someone else did win, and the rule has always been that the payout amout is divided amongst winning tickets.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: July 13, 2012, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Fund the schools?

If giving money to schools helped our kids come out smarter, we'd already have the smartest kids in the world and I'd be all for it.

But it doesn't.

So just use it to fill potholes or something useful.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Fund the schools?

If giving money to schools helped our kids come out smarter, we'd already have the smartest kids in the world and I'd be all for it.

But it doesn't.

So just use it to fill potholes or something useful.

In AZ we have a statute that 30% of unclaimed prize money is transferred to the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program, which is solely funded by this money.

No mention of what happens to the other 70%, sorry.

I hope this is helpful.

Respectfully,

Ronnie

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

In AZ we have a statute that 30% of unclaimed prize money is transferred to the Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) program, which is solely funded by this money.

No mention of what happens to the other 70%, sorry.

I hope this is helpful.

Respectfully,

Ronnie

Thanks Ronnie.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                              Member #116268
                              September 7, 2011
                              20244 Posts
                              Posted: July 13, 2012, 11:53 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Ronnie.

Always glad to clear away the fog, I think fixing a few pot holes would be a plus for our state. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope they are listening and put it on their "to do" list.