Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Downtime today

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 4 years ago by karinda.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
Chief Bottle Washer
New Jersey
United States
Member #1
May 31, 2000
23273 Posts
Posted: July 14, 2012, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Sorry for all the downtime at Lottery Post today.

The data center in which we operate our servers has been experiencing serious network issues, and they are working with the local Internet trunkline providers for the past several hours to get it resolved. Hopefully we'll be back up & running soon.

When this kind of thing happens we have to wait along with you for it to be resolved.  It is just as frustrating for us as I am sure it is for you when Lottery Post is not working perfectly.

Things appear to be getting back to normal, but if it goes down again, just try back in a few minutes.

Again, I am sorry for the downtime.  I hope it didn't impact you too badly.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
Help eliminate computerized drawings!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: July 14, 2012, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

The data center in which we operate our servers has been experiencing serious network issues, and they are working with the local Internet trunkline providers for the past several hours to get it resolved. Hopefully we'll be back up & running soon.

When this kind of thing happens we have to wait along with you for it to be resolved.  It is just as frustrating for us as I am sure it is for you when Lottery Post is not working perfectly.

Things appear to be getting back to normal, but if it goes down again, just try back in a few minutes.

Todd,

Thanks for always working on this,

I know a lotta times your working on it, and we don't know it .Thumbs Up

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Astekblue's avatar - Tarlor
      Kentucky
      United States
      Member #35086
      March 12, 2006
      10374 Posts
      Posted: July 14, 2012, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks     Todd

I  knew  it  would  be  back  soon   Thumbs Up

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
        FEMA Region V Camp #21
        United States
        Member #520
        July 27, 2002
        5699 Posts
        Posted: July 15, 2012, 12:38 am - IP Logged

Thanks, Todd.  You do a good job keeping the site up and running.  Wish my cable company was as reliable.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

pavizlo$'s avatar - binary
          OKC, OK
          United States
          Member #120575
          December 22, 2011
          820 Posts
          Posted: July 15, 2012, 1:32 am - IP Logged

Great job Todd!

Thanks for all your work and fast response!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2659 Posts
            Posted: July 15, 2012, 5:48 am - IP Logged

Thanks, Todd.  You do a good job keeping the site up and running.  Wish my cable company was as reliable.

Indeed Todd is a rare specimen of a die hard coder /webmaster

Thanks don't seem enough at times for all he doez

karinda's avatar - WINGS
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #108445
              March 25, 2011
              2855 Posts
              Posted: July 15, 2012, 6:02 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the update. Glad everything is okay.

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20119 Posts
                Posted: July 15, 2012, 8:44 am - IP Logged

Things happen that cannot be controlled sometimes, but as always you've done whatever needs attention.....                    Thanks.

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Monkey Butt, USA
                  United States
                  Member #54569
                  August 23, 2007
                  1124 Posts
                  Posted: July 15, 2012, 9:11 am - IP Logged

LOL  You will be receiving my therapy bill!!!!!  LOL

I can only go so long without LP and cable tv. Dunk

The downtime was brutal to my delicate psyche. Crying

There's no telling what damage the sudden inability to access LP will have on one as delicate as myself.  Green laugh

karinda's avatar - WINGS
                    New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #108445
                    March 25, 2011
                    2855 Posts
                    Posted: July 15, 2012, 10:39 am - IP Logged

LOL  You will be receiving my therapy bill!!!!!  LOL

I can only go so long without LP and cable tv. Dunk

The downtime was brutal to my delicate psyche. Crying

There's no telling what damage the sudden inability to access LP will have on one as delicate as myself.  Green laugh

Thumbs Up ... Green laugh

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                      Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23273 Posts
                      Posted: July 15, 2012, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

I posted additional info about the downtime via Facebook and Twitter last night, so for everyone who did not see it, I'll repeat here what has been happening.

Yesterday around noon Eastern Time a massive and sophisticated distributed-denial-of-service attack (DDoS) started that affected not only our hosting company, but several others as well.  According to the data center management, it was one of the largest DDoS attacks that has been seen, and proved to be difficult to snuff out. 

Unlike most DDoS attacks that target a particular Web site, this attack was broadly aimed at a large range of IP addresses, affecting perhaps thousands of businesses.  Lottery Post was but one of the thousands affected.  The attack was sophisticated in that when the network engineers attempted to stop it, the attack would adapt and change.

Network engineers have been working since that time to chip away at the attack to fully stop it.  Although the attack was largely stopped by around 3:30 am this morning (Eastern Time), it is still continuing, and you may notice periodic slowdowns and momentary outages today.

This is the same kind of attack that brought down Twitter for a day recently.  These malicious attacks that ultimately affect YOU are the reason law enforcement should not "take it easy" on hackers who propogate this stuff.  It is the equivalent of bombing a building or cutting power lines.  These jerks cause real damage to hard-working people, and take away your ability to use Web sites.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: July 15, 2012, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I posted additional info about the downtime via Facebook and Twitter last night, so for everyone who did not see it, I'll repeat here what has been happening.

Yesterday around noon Eastern Time a massive and sophisticated distributed-denial-of-service attack (DDoS) started that affected not only our hosting company, but several others as well.  According to the data center management, it was one of the largest DDoS attacks that has been seen, and proved to be difficult to snuff out. 

Unlike most DDoS attacks that target a particular Web site, this attack was broadly aimed at a large range of IP addresses, affecting perhaps thousands of businesses.  Lottery Post was but one of the thousands affected.  The attack was sophisticated in that when the network engineers attempted to stop it, the attack would adapt and change.

Network engineers have been working since that time to chip away at the attack to fully stop it.  Although the attack was largely stopped by around 3:30 am this morning (Eastern Time), it is still continuing, and you may notice periodic slowdowns and momentary outages today.

This is the same kind of attack that brought down Twitter for a day recently.  These malicious attacks that ultimately affect YOU are the reason law enforcement should not "take it easy" on hackers who propogate this stuff.  It is the equivalent of bombing a building or cutting power lines.  These jerks cause real damage to hard-working people, and take away your ability to use Web sites.

Let Murder Barbie take them all out.   (She'll do it as a professional courtesy, no charge.)

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                          NY
                          United States
                          Member #121961
                          January 21, 2012
                          3157 Posts
                          Posted: July 15, 2012, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Its gonna get worse as more 3rd world countries become more tech advanced. This attack was probably done by 16yr old kids in the Ukraine .    Funny pic Mcginn.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                            Member #52345
                            May 21, 2007
                            2659 Posts
                            Posted: July 15, 2012, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

am sure thars a special place in both heaven,hell and or limbo for those who's seemingly only purpose is to cause trouble Type

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                              Connecticut
                              United States
                              Member #61623
                              May 29, 2008
                              20581 Posts
                              Posted: July 15, 2012, 7:18 pm - IP Logged

I'm just getting back on now since this morning.These hackers really need to be publicly hung.Here we are in third world countries f*cking with people when  we need to be prosecuting chumps who attack the web.This type of thing is more of a threat than anything else.

A sunday afternoon with no LP is ROUGH!..lol

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."