Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 6:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Million dollar ticket unclaimed

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
nc
United States
Member #99520
October 26, 2010
375 Posts
Posted: July 29, 2012, 6:23 pm - IP Logged

Just curious what reason would you give for not cashing in your $1 million dollar ticket? 

There is one here in NC that is about to expire on Thursday.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
    United States
    Member #112968
    June 29, 2011
    3856 Posts
    Posted: July 29, 2012, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

It would be cause I lost my mind!

crazy ppl. are unconcerned w/$

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: July 29, 2012, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Just curious what reason would you give for not cashing in your $1 million dollar ticket? 

There is one here in NC that is about to expire on Thursday.

Being dead ??

wisconsin
        United States
        Member #130754
        July 23, 2012
        198 Posts
        Posted: July 29, 2012, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

It may have been forgotten about, lost, dog ate it,  or in the pocket of some clothes at the bottom of the hamper.

Either way, it sucks for whomever bought it. $600k could do a lot of good for a person's life.

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: July 29, 2012, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

It may have been forgotten about, lost, dog ate it,  or in the pocket of some clothes at the bottom of the hamper.

Either way, it sucks for whomever bought it. $600k could do a lot of good for a person's life.

LOL. Yeah, next time you see a crumpled up BLANK peice of paper come out of the dryer with the clothes........................  think.... oppsa Daisey, there goes another million.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
            Member #121745
            January 16, 2012
            4792 Posts
            Posted: August 2, 2012, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Now we all know what happened to it. Our friend (see pic above) bought the ticket when she was in the state, hid it and it trying to remember which McDonald's she was at......

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: August 2, 2012, 5:51 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps someone wanted to let it go back into the lottery system, out of guilt that they were not worthy enough to receive such a handsome sum.

I'm sure such people must exist. Or maybe it was some religious organization that bought the ticket for entertainment purposes only. Once they

found out their ticket was a winner, they knew because of their beliefs in not gambling, they could not morally accept the $1,000,000.00.  Blue Angel

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps someone wanted to let it go back into the lottery system, out of guilt that they were not worthy enough to receive such a handsome sum.

I'm sure such people must exist. Or maybe it was some religious organization that bought the ticket for entertainment purposes only. Once they

found out their ticket was a winner, they knew because of their beliefs in not gambling, they could not morally accept the $1,000,000.00.  Blue Angel

Perhaps someone wanted to let it go back into the lottery system, out of guilt that they were not worthy enough to receive such a handsome sum.  I'm sure such people must exist.

I'm sure plenty of them are here, given the surprising number of "I only play when the jackpot is huge" people on the board.

Or maybe it was some religious organization that bought the ticket for entertainment purposes only.  Once they found out their ticket was a winner, they knew because of their beliefs in not gambling, they could not morally accept the $1,000,000.00.

They must have missed the story of the nun who won a significant amount and donated it all.

Patriot

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps someone wanted to let it go back into the lottery system, out of guilt that they were not worthy enough to receive such a handsome sum.  I'm sure such people must exist.

I'm sure plenty of them are here, given the surprising number of "I only play when the jackpot is huge" people on the board.

Or maybe it was some religious organization that bought the ticket for entertainment purposes only.  Once they found out their ticket was a winner, they knew because of their beliefs in not gambling, they could not morally accept the $1,000,000.00.

They must have missed the story of the nun who won a significant amount and donated it all.

The nun in question "donated" all proceeds of her lottery win right back into her own nunnery.  LOL   Blue Angel

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:32 pm - IP Logged

A while back I read of a church that actually refused a donation because it was from lottery money.  Apparently it was from the devil or some such nonsense.

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

A while back I read of a church that actually refused a donation because it was from lottery money.  Apparently it was from the devil or some such nonsense.

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4792 Posts
                        Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

The nun in question "donated" all proceeds of her lottery win right back into her own nunnery.  LOL   Blue Angel

The rooms ("cells") for nuns are pretty sparse. Its not like they are spending it on fancy cars and gucci handbags.  They give up a lot to live that life.

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

The rooms ("cells") for nuns are pretty sparse. Its not like they are spending it on fancy cars and gucci handbags.  They give up a lot to live that life.

Agreed Artist! The point is that the money was not given to an independent third party, which normally is what constitutes a true donation.

I think the money going back to the nunnery was a great decision, after all she won the money fair and square.   Hyper

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4792 Posts
                            Posted: August 2, 2012, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Well the nun who won 20 years ago donated the money to use towards a Marian retirement home for nuns. I am not sure what could have been a more "true" donation. These people are their families. 

The priests are usually far better off, own their own cars, etc.  Many of the small convents are suffering.

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: August 2, 2012, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

Well the nun who won 20 years ago donated the money to use towards a Marian retirement home for nuns. I am not sure what could have been a more "true" donation. These people are their families. 

The priests are usually far better off, own their own cars, etc.  Many of the small convents are suffering.

Mediabrat was referring to a nun who won this win-fall just a few months ago. The story was posted by Todd in the Lottery News Forum.

Nothing improper was done, it's just that the public's perception, was that the proceeds were given to some other charitable organization.

Because the winnings were channeled back into the nunnery was still a wonderful gesture, as I'm sure all money is allocated for nothing but the

basics of running their day to day operations, as well as giving back to their community.  Blue Angel