Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 12:16 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

states winning

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Memphis,tn
United States
Member #131230
August 5, 2012
4 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2012, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

Why is it that some states when all the time some hardly ever when

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
    nc
    United States
    Member #99520
    October 26, 2010
    375 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2012, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

This is an open ended question.   HOpe you are ready for some of the wildest conspiracy theories! 

This is just an idea.   It is due to the random picking of the numbers.   There are many factors that have to fall in line for that ticket to win.   First someone either has to choose the numbers themselves or allows that state's computer random generation program to select the numbers for that ticket.   Second the machine that produces the numbers for the drawing, has to produce the exact balls for that ticket to win.   The ball machine is not connected to state computers.    It does not know that the numbers have been selected or what state the numbers are selected in.   That information is provided when the final chosen numbers are enter into the computer bank.  Logically, over time, all states will win equally.   But, like normal people, there are hot and cold streaks for winners and for winning states.  But that will take a lot of wins for it to equalize.   In the mean time, there is an average of about 10-15 winners a year.   So it will seem like that one or two states keep winning.  Obviously, a state that is not in the lottery will never win, likewise, a state that is in the lottery will win at some point!

Good luck to you.

Kentucky
      United States
      Member #32652
      February 14, 2006
      7314 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2012, 12:22 am - IP Logged

It would help if you told us which states "win all the time" and which states never seem to win.

Don't have all the figures for Saturday's PB drawing, but for the 8/1 the total sales for that drawing were 23.4 million tickets and six states sold over 1 million tickets. Just based on percentage of tickets sold, those states would have a better chance of winning the jackpot than say South Dakota with 89,000, North Dakota with 57,000, or the Virgin Islands with 10,500. Florida sold more tickets just with Powerplay than several other states total ticket sales. 

I'm not saying the states with smaller states have no chance or any one of the states with larger sales should win, but just based on percentage of ticket sales, it does favor the jackpot being won in one of the latter states.

four4me's avatar - gate1
        MD
        United States
        Member #1701
        June 18, 2003
        8363 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2012, 1:59 am - IP Logged

money spent per population density. larger states have more players than smaller states.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
          RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19830 Posts
          Posted: August 7, 2012, 11:30 am - IP Logged

It would help if you told us which states "win all the time" and which states never seem to win.

Don't have all the figures for Saturday's PB drawing, but for the 8/1 the total sales for that drawing were 23.4 million tickets and six states sold over 1 million tickets. Just based on percentage of tickets sold, those states would have a better chance of winning the jackpot than say South Dakota with 89,000, North Dakota with 57,000, or the Virgin Islands with 10,500. Florida sold more tickets just with Powerplay than several other states total ticket sales. 

I'm not saying the states with smaller states have no chance or any one of the states with larger sales should win, but just based on percentage of ticket sales, it does favor the jackpot being won in one of the latter states.

Such questions are usually asked with the hope someone else will do the research and post such information.  If more people were willing to do their own research, such questions would never be asked.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: August 7, 2012, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Such questions are usually asked with the hope someone else will do the research and post such information.  If more people were willing to do their own research, such questions would never be asked.

While were on the topic of which states will win, could you please tell us what the winning numbers will probably be for MM 2-nite, and PB

for tomorrow evening? I don't mind doing the work myself, this is just a test to see if you really know your stuff.  Wink

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19830 Posts
              Posted: August 7, 2012, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

While were on the topic of which states will win, could you please tell us what the winning numbers will probably be for MM 2-nite, and PB

for tomorrow evening? I don't mind doing the work myself, this is just a test to see if you really know your stuff.  Wink

Sorry, since I'm not playing MM tonight I haven't done any research to make a prediction for tonight's drawing but if I had I would post them on the prediction board so you could check them if you wish.

I am planning to play 10 lines for the PB drawing and will probably post them on the prediction board so just check it.  I've never matched more than a 2+1 or 3+0 so I would be surprised if I did better.

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: August 7, 2012, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, since I'm not playing MM tonight I haven't done any research to make a prediction for tonight's drawing but if I had I would post them on the prediction board so you could check them if you wish.

I am planning to play 10 lines for the PB drawing and will probably post them on the prediction board so just check it.  I've never matched more than a 2+1 or 3+0 so I would be surprised if I did better.

Thanks RJ! BTW, are they all self picks? Do you ever play QP's? Roll Eyes

United States
                  Member #128435
                  May 24, 2012
                  343 Posts
                  Posted: August 7, 2012, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

Is There Anybody Can Understand This Was Send Today 

466 = 9214 triads are 921x 214x  924x 914x 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19830 Posts
                    Posted: August 7, 2012, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks RJ! BTW, are they all self picks? Do you ever play QP's? Roll Eyes

I never play QP's, if I decide to play a game and haven't taken the time to pick some numbers, I play family birthdays.  I once matched 4 playing them in the local lottery, if my brother had been born on the right day in August in the right year I would be a millionaire.Wink

Evil Looking       

NEW YORK
                      United States
                      Member #90535
                      April 29, 2010
                      11982 Posts
                      Posted: August 7, 2012, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries represent redistribution of wealth my friend.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        11982 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2012, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

I never play QP's, if I decide to play a game and haven't taken the time to pick some numbers, I play family birthdays.  I once matched 4 playing them in the local lottery, if my brother had been born on the right day in August in the right year I would be a millionaire.Wink

I rarely see any jackpots being won with self picks.

US Flag

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7314 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2012, 3:28 pm - IP Logged

I rarely see any jackpots being won with self picks.

Which part of "70% to 80% of all PB ticket purchases are QPs and 70% to 80% of winning tickets are QPs" don't you understand?

Is that difficult to understand that 20% to 30% of the purchases are Self Picks and and 20% to 30% of the winning tickets are Self Picks?

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7314 Posts
                            Posted: August 7, 2012, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Lotteries represent redistribution of wealth my friend.

If the idea of lottery games was to redistribute wealth, the lower income states would be winning all the jackpots. When was the last time a clerk demanded to know your annual salary before selling you a ticket?

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11982 Posts
                              Posted: August 7, 2012, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Which part of "70% to 80% of all PB ticket purchases are QPs and 70% to 80% of winning tickets are QPs" don't you understand?

Is that difficult to understand that 20% to 30% of the purchases are Self Picks and and 20% to 30% of the winning tickets are Self Picks?

70% to 80% represents a bigger picture.The question is, which one is winning most jackpots quick picks or self picks? You already know the answer.

US Flag