Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

DO you really lose money if u take the annunity over the lump sum?

Topic closed. 125 replies. Last post 4 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: August 9, 2012, 2:05 pm - IP Logged

DO YOU REALLY LOSE OUT IF YOU TAKE THE ANNUNITY? The jackpot for this weekend is 253 million, so they take half that leaves 126.5 million. Now over 29 years you'd get 4.3 million b4 taxes. In my state taxes are 32%,  25% federal 7% state so then that would b roughly 2.9 million a year for 29 years...Now Ive been broke never been rich so if and when I do win...I want to keep it and get that check every year.

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11978 Posts
    Posted: August 9, 2012, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

DO YOU REALLY LOSE OUT IF YOU TAKE THE ANNUNITY? The jackpot for this weekend is 253 million, so they take half that leaves 126.5 million. Now over 29 years you'd get 4.3 million b4 taxes. In my state taxes are 32%,  25% federal 7% state so then that would b roughly 2.9 million a year for 29 years...Now Ive been broke never been rich so if and when I do win...I want to keep it and get that check every year.

Yes, today dollars are worth more than tomorrow dollars. It is called the effect of inflation.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10348 Posts
      Posted: August 9, 2012, 6:02 pm - IP Logged

For one thing, the cash value for the $253 million jackpot is $170.5 milllion, not $126.5M.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
        Mcminnville, Oregon
        United States
        Member #3013
        December 13, 2003
        3047 Posts
        Posted: August 9, 2012, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

The payments are a graduated scale so you get like $3.7 million in the first year and in the last year you get like close to $12 million before taxes.  If you check powerball jackpot analysis on the usa mega home page you can see what you would get if you were the winner.  Good luck this weekend.-weshar75

US Flag

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: August 9, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

Take the cash while it's still worth something and buy things with it that people will always need or want.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
            Member #52345
            May 21, 2007
            2657 Posts
            Posted: August 9, 2012, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

Take the cash while it's still worth something and buy things with it that people will always need or want.

contrary to what Mr. P-nut Gallery and his cronies would have one believe ....

not one dammed thing is certain ..... best way to stay financially liquid its best to keep working @ something you love and or for one's self  and keep a sharp eye on the financial bottom line PERIOD !!!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: August 9, 2012, 8:01 pm - IP Logged

contrary to what Mr. P-nut Gallery and his cronies would have one believe ....

not one dammed thing is certain ..... best way to stay financially liquid its best to keep working @ something you love and or for one's self  and keep a sharp eye on the financial bottom line PERIOD !!!

Contrary to what Mr Numbnuts says -----------> Take the cash and buy real estate cuz nothin' ain't worth nothin' whether it's liquid or not.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: August 9, 2012, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

The state will be happy to manage the money for you, or you can get a money manager at a much better rate. Your choice,

Raven62's avatar - binary
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  49699 Posts
                  Posted: August 9, 2012, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Contrary to what Mr Numbnuts says -----------> Take the cash and buy real estate cuz nothin' ain't worth nothin' whether it's liquid or not.

When they toss you in a FEMA Camp and seize all your possessions: It doesn't matter if they are liquid or NOT! Unless of course you are talking: JD!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: August 9, 2012, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

When they toss you in a FEMA Camp and seize all your possessions: It doesn't matter if they are liquid or NOT! Unless of course you are talking: JD!

You got that right, Raven! Cheers Buy JD!

--Edmund Burke

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: August 9, 2012, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

the usd treasury note, may not exist in 29 years, the deal they have with you maybe devalued.  current money is worth $+time, that time is a workedinto a  percentage.  and thats waht they rthink waiting for that current money is worth to you. currently what 1/2% a year!

if you  seriously think waiting for your 170 mill, is  only worth 1/2%  ghood for you. but for  me if they AINT PAYING %10 I WANT IT NOW.

now you can buy things, nice things. in a year they maybe more expensive, in 30 years they will be tremendously more expensive.

also as i said the fed note may well be discontinued, and US savings revalued to lower by exchange rate, to rob the  saver to pay the debt.

dont think the gov would do that  look at the gold confiscation time. when people where robbed $15 out of $35 over night.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: August 9, 2012, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

the usd treasury note, may not exist in 29 years, the deal they have with you maybe devalued.  current money is worth $+time, that time is a workedinto a  percentage.  and thats waht they rthink waiting for that current money is worth to you. currently what 1/2% a year!

if you  seriously think waiting for your 170 mill, is  only worth 1/2%  ghood for you. but for  me if they AINT PAYING %10 I WANT IT NOW.

now you can buy things, nice things. in a year they maybe more expensive, in 30 years they will be tremendously more expensive.

also as i said the fed note may well be discontinued, and US savings revalued to lower by exchange rate, to rob the  saver to pay the debt.

dont think the gov would do that  look at the gold confiscation time. when people where robbed $15 out of $35 over night.

Roger that.

--Edmund Burke

United States
                          Member #128790
                          June 2, 2012
                          5431 Posts
                          Posted: August 9, 2012, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

I won't lose anything. I have millions at my disposal. A lot more than I have now. Cool

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10348 Posts
                            Posted: August 10, 2012, 12:21 am - IP Logged

billionaire2bee,

Someone here at LP has or at least had this for a signature:

You can always buy a better annuity.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

zinniagirl's avatar - flower avatar_0026.jpg
                              nc
                              United States
                              Member #99520
                              October 26, 2010
                              375 Posts
                              Posted: August 10, 2012, 12:35 am - IP Logged

The determining factor for me is how much taxes are going to increase in the future years.   I'd rather pay the bulk of the taxes now before the rates go much higher.   This way you only pay taxes on the interest earned going foward.