Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:08 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is A Good Virus Software?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 4 years ago by SergeM.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
Clarksville
United States
Member #487
July 15, 2002
17638 Posts
Posted: August 16, 2012, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

What is a good virus software that I can use for FREE and I don't have to download it on my computer.  I need to do an in-depth scan ASAP.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

United States
    Member #128790
    June 2, 2012
    5431 Posts
    Posted: August 16, 2012, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

What is a good virus software that I can use for FREE and I don't have to download it on my computer.  I need to do an in-depth scan ASAP.

The best one is free from Microsoft called "Microsoft Essentials" It immediately warns me of any threats and asks me If I want to clean it. It also has a scanner, However, there are somethings it can't find like Trojans and the such, so I use "Spybot", which is also free. It does a wonerful job of finding those tricky ones that cause a lot of headaches. The scan can take up to 30 minutes or more, but it's worth it.

EDIT: Sorry, I overlooked the DOWNLOAD part of your question. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any programs that you can use without downloading them first. I've been using Spybot for years and haven't had any problems with them. They've gotten me out of some sticky situations many times. I trust them.

United States
      Member #33295
      February 19, 2006
      699 Posts
      Posted: August 16, 2012, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you want to download it?
      I highly recommend downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials.
      Click here for the website
      It's free and I found out about it from Todd.  I've used it for 3 yrs now with no infections.
      Thumbs Up

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

United States
        Member #33295
        February 19, 2006
        699 Posts
        Posted: August 16, 2012, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you want to download it?
        I highly recommend downloading and installing Microsoft Security Essentials.
        Click here for the website
        It's free and I found out about it from Todd.  I've used it for 3 yrs now with no infections.
        Thumbs Up

I also use Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner.

Just download the free version.

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

United States
          Member #111442
          May 25, 2011
          6323 Posts
          Posted: August 16, 2012, 1:37 pm - IP Logged

Not aware of any virus software, free or otherwise, that will function without being downloaded.

Kind of like wanting to eat a delicious dinner, but your instructed that you are not allowed to eat anything.

Florida
            United States
            Member #66575
            October 30, 2008
            3549 Posts
            Posted: August 16, 2012, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

Download and run from a flashdrive , if you dont want on your actual computer

They actually sell them that way now..

Just a thought

Carlig

mglsr's avatar - candle
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #2369
              September 23, 2003
              3072 Posts
              Posted: August 16, 2012, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

check your email

"As Quoted by the Genius One:"

"Life i$ Good "   

$$$$ I FEEL LUCKY $$$$                                                               

*lay off and it pays off*

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4791 Posts
                Posted: August 16, 2012, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I agree about Microsoft essentials...it will even catch the viruses that redirect your browser. I also have malwarebytes antimalware and they both seem to do the trick.  I do a lot of research online and have a lot of constant hits from spammers to my art and book websites (Russian fed, etc) so these have served me well.

And yes, you have to download it.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40471 Posts
                  Posted: August 16, 2012, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

BEWARE EVERYONE, I down loaded what I thought was microsoft security essentials, it was a fake and it was a very bad virus, my computor was stuck and I couldn't get on line even in safe mode.

Littleoldlady, I went to best buy, they removed my virus and I renewed for norton, the called it a hijack virus, it was asking for credit card info to fix the problem.

GOOD LUCK

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: August 16, 2012, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

BEWARE EVERYONE, I down loaded what I thought was microsoft security essentials, it was a fake and it was a very bad virus, my computor was stuck and I couldn't get on line even in safe mode.

Littleoldlady, I went to best buy, they removed my virus and I renewed for norton, the called it a hijack virus, it was asking for credit card info to fix the problem.

GOOD LUCK

I experienced the same sully. It was a real nasty virus, and took days to get rid of. Download this at your own risk!!!

tvboris's avatar - aim

United States
                      Member #131456
                      August 11, 2012
                      86 Posts
                      Posted: August 16, 2012, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

LOL, virus software should always be downloaded, otherwise it can't do any harm to it. If this virus software is malware, it will automatically will do in-dpeth scan for you. The easy to download it, is to visit web-site adults site. After 2-3 sites, you'll have one for sure.

If you want ANTI-virus, try Avast, this is free.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: August 16, 2012, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

I also use Malwarebytes as a secondary scanner.

Just download the free version.

Malwarebytes, definitely. I've help dozens of people with viruses and always hook them up with Malwarebytes once they're PC is clean and they've never had issues again.

I don't believe there are any protection services that don't include downloading something. Using Internet Explorer there may be options to run quick, simple scans over the internet but I don't believe they're too in-depth. They're also not actively protecting, so it may not help much, especially with how smart viruses are today where they can disable those types of scans or have them show you're PC is clean.

Trend Micro has something to do with protection from the Cloud, but I think even then you have to install something on your PC.

I've never tried the one Microsoft offers as I pay for Malwarebytes, but if it has good recommendations then go for it. Whatever your choice, I'd definitely recommend going with one to download that actively protects your computer. It's worth it even if it slows down your computer a bit.

Milwaukee, WI
                          United States
                          Member #3131
                          December 27, 2003
                          665 Posts
                          Posted: August 16, 2012, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

I've run a Mac for 5 years now. Never had to worry about viruses.

There have been a few things that have popped up lately, but I never had a problem.

Too many other things to worry about.

Switched to Linux 2/17/2000

Switched to Mac in 2007

Never loaded ANY anti-virus software.

12 years M$FT free.

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            7712 Posts
                            Posted: August 17, 2012, 1:06 am - IP Logged

It's not free but it has done the job for me...Trend Micro. Never had any problems in 4 years...definitely worth it. When I had Norton and caught a virus it didn't even warn me at all. Garbage. Cost $300 to fix. At least Norton gave me a refund.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                              NY
                              United States
                              Member #121961
                              January 21, 2012
                              3157 Posts
                              Posted: August 17, 2012, 1:23 am - IP Logged

Free programs won't do good enough. Got Kaspersky for 20$/year and it finds and quarantines viruses very fast.