Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 8:34 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Man given wrong scratch ticket wins $1 million prize

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Ignatius.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Pittsburgh,PA
United States
Member #129828
June 28, 2012
19 Posts
Posted: August 17, 2012, 10:12 pm - IP Logged

When Richard Brown walked into a Valero gas station Monday morning in Taunton, Mass., it was a routine visit. Brown dropped by on occasion to purchase scratch tickets, and when he stopped in on this day he asked manager Brian Salinas for his usual $5 Blue Ice 7s ticket. But Salinas was distracted by stocking cigarettes and accidentally gave Brown a Sizzlin' 7s ticket. Brown didn't fuss over the mistake -- good thing, because his chill attitude won him $1 million. Salinas' flub also paid off, as the store will receive a $10,000 commission. Lottery officials said Brown took a lump sum payment, coming to $650,000 before taxes.

LUCKY GUY HUH?

Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #109275
    April 9, 2011
    1503 Posts
    Posted: August 18, 2012, 11:27 am - IP Logged

When Richard Brown walked into a Valero gas station Monday morning in Taunton, Mass., it was a routine visit. Brown dropped by on occasion to purchase scratch tickets, and when he stopped in on this day he asked manager Brian Salinas for his usual $5 Blue Ice 7s ticket. But Salinas was distracted by stocking cigarettes and accidentally gave Brown a Sizzlin' 7s ticket. Brown didn't fuss over the mistake -- good thing, because his chill attitude won him $1 million. Salinas' flub also paid off, as the store will receive a $10,000 commission. Lottery officials said Brown took a lump sum payment, coming to $650,000 before taxes.

LUCKY GUY HUH?

Thats why I always buy the mistakes. If someone in front of me gets the wrong tickets and puts them back, I will buy them also. When I use to work at a grocery store and messed up a Daily or Big4 type ticket 99% of the customers would buy it. if they didnt, I would. I figure things happen for a reason :)

Ignatius's avatar - 437 1832-large.jpg
      Springfield, IL
      United States
      Member #127541
      May 3, 2012
      12 Posts
      Posted: August 20, 2012, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

I'm just amazed at how someone can win $1 million and take a lump sum of $650k AND THEN still have to pay taxes.  I'd be happy to take home what's left after taxes but still the amount of taxes we have to pay in this country is ridiculous.  And why does the $1mil get bumped down to $650k in the first place?

/rant