Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

No Lotto at some big retailers.

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 4 years ago by haymaker.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
NY
United States
Member #121961
January 21, 2012
3157 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2012, 1:47 pm - IP Logged

Is there a reason why stores like Walmart and Target don't sell lotto. I did see a scratch-off machine at Kmart.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2012, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

Is there a reason why stores like Walmart and Target don't sell lotto. I did see a scratch-off machine at Kmart.

Good question. It might be something to do with the family owned business (Walmart) values that they have. I believe they are very religious people.

As far as Target and Kmart.......What?

I have seen lottery outlets in a chain of stores up this way called BJ'S (kind of like a Sam's Club).

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
      Chief Bottle Washer
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #1
      May 31, 2000
      23267 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2012, 2:45 pm - IP Logged

This is a really good question, and I used to know the answer to it.  It's been a while though, and I can't remember exactly.  It had something to do with the fact that all the stores are owned by one corporation, or maybe it was the small shop-owners not wanting the competition of the huge stores -- or some combination of those.

It would be great to hear from a lottery official on this one, but I'm not sure how forthcoming they would feel they could be with the answer.  (Anything involving retailers can be a touchy subject.)

Check the State Lottery Report Card
      What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
      Help eliminate computerized drawings!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2012, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I've always wondered about that my own self.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: August 29, 2012, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

They sell them at their little gas stations out front of the department stores..Murphy's USA and I don't know what Kmart's gas station is called.

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: August 29, 2012, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

They sell them at their little gas stations out front of the department stores..Murphy's USA and I don't know what Kmart's gas station is called.

I think they call it the "Blue Light Special".

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
              Chief Bottle Washer
              New Jersey
              United States
              Member #1
              May 31, 2000
              23267 Posts
              Posted: August 29, 2012, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

I think they call it the "Blue Light Special".

No, a blue light special is a short-term sale at KMart, but I think you probably knew that.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
              Help eliminate computerized drawings!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                United States
                Member #73904
                April 28, 2009
                14903 Posts
                Posted: August 29, 2012, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Maybe somebody in Florida could tell us if this deal ever went through:  http://www.lotterypost.com/news/237125

MmeFlorida's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                  south florida
                  United States
                  Member #48616
                  January 3, 2007
                  1497 Posts
                  Posted: August 29, 2012, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

They sell lottery tickets(not just scratch offs) at KMart in Pennsylvania ( I'm not sure about Florida, becuase I haven't been in one for some time), I believe they are experimenting with selling lottery tickets in smaller Walmarts in Florida, or what is called a "Neighborhood Market " Walmart

"Insert  somewhat cryptic,sarcastic quote aimed at an imaginary enemy here" Sun Smiley

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19826 Posts
                    Posted: August 29, 2012, 6:14 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio, Meijer a competitor of K-Mart and Wal-Mart sells them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                      Idaho
                      United States
                      Member #94283
                      July 17, 2010
                      2284 Posts
                      Posted: August 29, 2012, 7:05 pm - IP Logged

In Idaho I was in a state-owned likker store and on the counter was a big place mat looking thing advertising the state-owned lottery.  So I asked for a ticket.  He said we can't sell tickets because there is already another lottery retailer in this strip mall.  They don't like having too many retailers too close together.

Okay.  You can advertise for them but they won't let you sell their product.

So a year or two later, I'm in a different strip mall.  I go to Honk's dollar store and there's a vending machine.  Head to the likker store 2 doors down (no, I really don't drink that much) and there's another machine.  Hmmm.   I go in the Albertsons 3 doors from the likker store and there's another machine, plus the customer service counter sells the online tickets.

Really makes no rhyme nor reason.  It IS the government, after all.

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: August 29, 2012, 7:48 pm - IP Logged

In Idaho I was in a state-owned likker store and on the counter was a big place mat looking thing advertising the state-owned lottery.  So I asked for a ticket.  He said we can't sell tickets because there is already another lottery retailer in this strip mall.  They don't like having too many retailers too close together.

Okay.  You can advertise for them but they won't let you sell their product.

So a year or two later, I'm in a different strip mall.  I go to Honk's dollar store and there's a vending machine.  Head to the likker store 2 doors down (no, I really don't drink that much) and there's another machine.  Hmmm.   I go in the Albertsons 3 doors from the likker store and there's another machine, plus the customer service counter sells the online tickets.

Really makes no rhyme nor reason.  It IS the government, after all.

Ideally, they would like to have a vending machine in every store and every household. In sales that is known as saturation.

Kind of like a small sponge, trying to soak up a gallon of spilled Jack Daniels, at one of their state liquor stores.  Cheers

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                          United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3856 Posts
                          Posted: August 29, 2012, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

maybe they veiw the profit margin as to slim,

c-stores veiw lottery as traffic builder.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.